Moving Windows 7 to a new computer RRS feed

• Question

• I have a PC that is a few months old. It has an Athlon Phenom II 555 64bit processor running Windows 7 Professional 32bit installed from a system builder OEM disc.

Just got Adobe CS5 Web Premium Suite which only runs on a 64bit OS that I want to run on the above PC.

I have a Windows 7 Professional 64bit system builder OEM disc. 

I would like to do a fresh install of the 64bit Windows 7 on the above PC, not an upgrade, and then install the Adobe Suite on that PC, and reinstall the copy of Office that is currently on that PC.

My question is what is the best way to go about this? If I do the fresh install, can I then use the disc from the original install to install the 32bit copy of Windows 7 on another completely different computer? I assume I'd need to do the phone activation, but on one forum post I read that may not be an option for a system builder OEM disc. Can I reinstall the copy of MS Office on the new 64bit install without issue as long as it has been uninstalled from the 32bit install? Is it possible to do what I want to do, is there a better way to go about it, or am I screwed?

Tuesday, December 28, 2010 4:18 AM

Answers

• I have a PC that is a few months old. It has an Athlon Phenom II 555 64bit processor running Windows 7 Professional 32bit installed from a system builder OEM disc.

Just got Adobe CS5 Web Premium Suite which only runs on a 64bit OS that I want to run on the above PC.

I would like to do a fresh install of the 64bit Windows 7 on the above PC, not an upgrade, and then install the Adobe Suite on that PC, and reinstall the copy of Office that is currently on that PC.

My question is what is the best way to go about this? If I do the fresh install, can I then use the disc from the original install to install the 32bit copy of Windows 7 on another completely different computer? I assume I'd need to do the phone activation, but on one forum post I read that may not be an option for a system builder OEM disc. Can I reinstall the copy of MS Office on the new 64bit install without issue as long as it has been uninstalled from the 32bit install? Is it possible to do what I want to do, is there a better way to go about it, or am I screwed?

As they are both OEM system builder versions you can not transfer the currently installed 32 bit to another computer.  It has to either be used on the current computer or thrown away. 

To go from 32 bit to 64 bit requires a clean full install.  You can't upgrade but must "strip" the old version and install the new version from scratch.
    Tuesday, December 28, 2010 6:15 AM
  • You can do a clean install of the 64 bit windows on the existing machine BUT be very careful that you use the same key used on the 32 bit install. The key is tied to that computer.

To install using a system builder disk on a new computer you would need a system builder key and license, remember, you can't transfer the OEM key to a new computer.

The media itself is 100% interchangable, if you purchased system builder copies, one of 32 bit and one of 64 bit media you could interchange the keys with the media or even install 64 bit on 2 computers using the one 64 bit disk but the keys remain locked to the first PC it was activated on.

If you are ever unsure of which key is installed on a specific computer use Belarc Advisor to veiw the installed key.

Tuesday, December 28, 2010 6:28 PM

All replies

As they are both OEM system builder versions you can not transfer the currently installed 32 bit to another computer.  It has to either be used on the current computer or thrown away. 

To go from 32 bit to 64 bit requires a clean full install.  You can't upgrade but must "strip" the old version and install the new version from scratch.
    Tuesday, December 28, 2010 6:15 AM
  • You can do a clean install of the 64 bit windows on the existing machine BUT be very careful that you use the same key used on the 32 bit install. The key is tied to that computer.

To install using a system builder disk on a new computer you would need a system builder key and license, remember, you can't transfer the OEM key to a new computer.

The media itself is 100% interchangable, if you purchased system builder copies, one of 32 bit and one of 64 bit media you could interchange the keys with the media or even install 64 bit on 2 computers using the one 64 bit disk but the keys remain locked to the first PC it was activated on.

If you are ever unsure of which key is installed on a specific computer use Belarc Advisor to veiw the installed key.

Tuesday, December 28, 2010 6:28 PM