Anyone using a mobo w/ any RealTek LAN or secifically RTL8111B? RRS feed

• Question

• Still spec'ing out a few parts while waiting for the 64-bit client (btw where will this be announced, is there any email list I can sign up for...? and I hope it will be for XP Pro x64 as wellSmile) and after looking through motherboards I decided that one with maximum SATA ports would be the most economical in the long run for adding drives, the initial cost savings would be more than used up by an add-on SATA card. At the moment Intel motherboards with ICH9R seem to offer the most SATA ports overall. This could change with AMDs new chipset which is coming out soon but I'll deal with that then if I have to, I have not purchased the CPU yet so either way is fine for this box.

Gigabyte seems to be the only manufacturer that puts all the SATA ports internally with eSATA backplates for optional eSATA use. So I settled on the GA-P35-DS3R based on SATA ports and looked on the Gigabyte site for WinServer2003 drivers. All was good except for LAN drivers which is kind of important for WHS Wink So I checked Realtek's direct site and no luck there either Sad Given that RealTek is an extremely common provider on on-board LAN these days I thought this was strange to say the least. So is anyone successully using a certain driver set for any RealTek onboard LAN, or specifically for the RTL8111B chip used on the GA-P35-DS3R?

If not I may have to find a board with a different primary LAN chip and use eSATA-SATA cables to internalize the extra 2 ports but I'd rather not have to do that, it just seems silly Stick out tongue

Friday, November 2, 2007 3:36 AM

All replies

• If you can't find a driver for Windows Server 2003, you can try a driver for XP. You may be able to get it to install. If not, a PCI based gigabit ethernet NIC with a Marvell chipset is probably available on Newegg for under $25.00. Smile
    Friday, November 2, 2007 3:57 AM
  • Oh my, you're suggesting to BUY an Ethernet card! haha I haven't bought a separate ethernet card since about 1996 when I got a 3Com 905B (I think, maybe 805C) If that's the case I will have to reconsider the overall cost, hopefully someone will come up with a 'yes I'm using the XP drivers' answer Smile I'd really be surprised if there's no one running on a RealTek NIC. I could always buy and try but I hate doing that. I would like to have the network be all Gigabit too...

Friday, November 2, 2007 4:09 AM
  • I'm in a similar position to you. I was looking at the Gigabyte GA-G33-DS3R but it also uses the same LAN chip so it looks like I'm out of luck. Have you tried the XP driver to see if it worked?
    Friday, November 2, 2007 8:23 AM
  • Madman0,

Well, a gigabit lan set up costs even more than $25.
    Friday, November 2, 2007 11:09 AM
  • Madman, I'm mostly suggesting you be the tiniest bit adventurous. Install WHS, but don't activate it, then see if you can get the NIC working. You'll have 30 days before you'll be forced to activate; plenty of time to find out if the hardware is suitable.

But yes, I think buying a separate NIC is a realistic option, because motherboard manufacturers buy the cheapest NIC chipsets they can. For $10-20 plus shipping, you can get a gigabit nic with all the trimmings.
    Friday, November 2, 2007 11:39 AM
  • I just downloaded a driver for this which purports to be for Windows 2003 Server from http://dlsvr01.asus.com/pub/ASUS/lan/rtl8111B/RTL8111b_564607272006.zip but I have no real way of knowing if this is actually a 2k3 driver or not. There's nothing in the download which says it is
    Friday, November 2, 2007 12:27 PM
  • Yea Ken ultimately that probably is what I'd do because it would still be no worse than buying an additional SATA controller. The phrase 'buy a NIC' is just foreign to me at this time Wink Was just looking for some feedback from other users ince I'm just waiting on the 64-bit client atm.

As far as a Gigabit netwrok costing more than $25, well, kind of, it's just buying a Gigabit router. They aren't as cheap as 100Mb routers but the one I've got now only cost $25 or so so no big loss there and I'll probably just sell that one anyway. All modern motherboards have Gigabit LAN. I've read a few posts about the very slow transfer rates for WHS when it's to a shared folder though so maybe Gigabit doesn't even matter. I sure hope MS will come up with a fix for that.

spib - which motherboard is that supposed to be for? Did you just wade through Asus' FTP to find that or what? Going to each motherboard's download page takes a little while and unfortunately none of RealTek's direct download pages list WinServer2003. I have a feeling that some of them must work though because there are XP x64 drivers which is based on WinServer2003 right? and I can't see RealTek just not making a driver for 2003.

Friday, November 2, 2007 1:02 PM
  • I was looking at at MicroATX MB for my build made by ECS.  The part number is 945-GCT-M V2.  This MB uses both the RealTek 8111B and the 8101E (specifically Realtek RTL8101E 10/100 LAN (co-lay RTL 8111B GigaLAN)).

Looking at the ECS web site and the drivers for this board, there is a driver installation file for the RealTek chipset that it claims are Server 2003 compatible.

http://www.ecsusa.com/ECSWebSite/Products/ProductsDetail.aspx?detailid=817&DetailName=Driver&MenuID=1&LanID=9

Hope this helps!

Sunday, November 4, 2007 3:35 PM
  • Just to follow up on this, I got this motherboard and it works great under WHS. The drivers for the LAN were on the driver CD
    Wednesday, November 14, 2007 11:49 AM