Strange Storage Space Problem RRS feed

• Question

• Good Morning All!
        I am new to WHS so I'm not 100% sure if this is a Hardware issue or a software issue.  I have Home Server in stalled on a Dell Dimension, with 1GB of RAM and an 80GB system drive.  I have added 2 external 500GB Hard drives, and they seem to be recognized just fine.  The problem is that after I add them the drive space says 945GB free of 54GB.  It doesn't seem to use the drives correctly.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ted
    Tuesday, December 2, 2008 3:42 PM

Answers

• Hello,
    this is a known issue (cosmetic bug) since the last upgrade for Windows Home Server. This update intended to fix the behavior, that Vista only did see the free space on drive D: and therefore rejected to write to a shared folder, if the selected files had a larger amount. This issue is fixed, but with that optical issue.
    And that you don't get the 1000+ free GB shown, has to do with marketing - the makers of hard disks usually calculate kilo as 1000, while WHS calculates kilo IT conform as 1024. So a disk calculated on base 1000 looks larger especially in the high storage space levels. Larger disks sell better ;-)
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Tuesday, December 2, 2008 4:00 PM

All replies

• Hello,
    this is a known issue (cosmetic bug) since the last upgrade for Windows Home Server. This update intended to fix the behavior, that Vista only did see the free space on drive D: and therefore rejected to write to a shared folder, if the selected files had a larger amount. This issue is fixed, but with that optical issue.
    And that you don't get the 1000+ free GB shown, has to do with marketing - the makers of hard disks usually calculate kilo as 1000, while WHS calculates kilo IT conform as 1024. So a disk calculated on base 1000 looks larger especially in the high storage space levels. Larger disks sell better ;-)
    Olaf
    Tuesday, December 2, 2008 4:00 PM
  • Great, thanks for the response.  Does that mean that the drive space is actually available then?  I should be able to save files normally without a problem?  Thanks again, Ted!
    Tuesday, December 2, 2008 5:15 PM
  • Hi Ted,
    yes, that space is available for both - client backups and storing files through the shared folders on the server.
    Olaf
    Tuesday, December 2, 2008 9:15 PM