Cannot find settings for archiving recorded tv shows in Windows Media Center RRS feed

• Question

• I am running WHS2011 and Windows Media Center in Windows 8. When I start WMC there is a Home Server Icon for TV archive. When I click that Icon I see three menus; Series, Program and Settings. Under Settings there are only the option of "Archive all recordings automatically". I have seen on a support page that there should be an option to do more settings like setting resolution and folder. But, that isn't showing. Does anyone know why?

I have clicked the option to automatically archive recordings and I can see it is doing that under "Activity". There are progress on a recorded tv show. So, what happens to that file? How much is it compressed and stored where?

Thanks in advance.

Friday, December 14, 2012 10:35 PM

Answers

• If you are referring to the transcoding feature that was in WHS version 1, that feature was deprecated for WHS 2011 and is no longer part of the product.  (Rumor has it that it was last seen on a beach in Fiji sharing Mai Tai's with Drive Extender).

Sunday, December 16, 2012 9:49 PM

All replies

• If you are referring to the transcoding feature that was in WHS version 1, that feature was deprecated for WHS 2011 and is no longer part of the product.  (Rumor has it that it was last seen on a beach in Fiji sharing Mai Tai's with Drive Extender).

Sunday, December 16, 2012 9:49 PM
  • Thanks, Gary. I reviewed the screenshot found on the web site and saw it didn't refer to WHS 2011, just WHS. The feature now found in WHS2011 is still doing some converting with the files and then moves the file from the PC to my Home Server. The files was actually moved to the Recorded TV shows on WHS. All good!

Do you know what type of conversion it does of the file?

Thomas

Tuesday, January 15, 2013 9:09 AM
  • Hi Thomas.

To my knowledge, the Windows Media Center TV Archive Transfer Service in WHS 2011 does nothing to the files other than copy them to the 'Recorded TV' share on your server, and then delete them from local storage on your Media Center PC.   There should be no conversion or other file manipulation taking place.

FYI, the purpose of this feature (in both versions of WHS) is to allow you to preserve certain TV recordings and prevent Windows Media Center from automatically deleting them when it needs more space.  Windows Media Center will never automatically delete recordings stored on network shares.  WHS v1 had an additional optional feature to transcode your recorded TV shows automatically to a Zune-friendly format.  This feature was dropped from WHS 2011.

• Edited by Gary Voth Wednesday, January 16, 2013 3:59 PM
    Wednesday, January 16, 2013 3:59 PM