360 pictures from ICE RRS feed

• Question

• when I put projection to perspective, I get the full 360 view I want, but when i try to save that picture it will only save a portion of the photo.  I want to use it as a virtual tour pic on my realtor website. 
    Wednesday, June 15, 2011 5:44 AM

Answers

• You can not save the full 360 as a "perspective" image.  The perspective projection only works up to about 100 degrees, so ICE only saves the current 100 degree sub-view if you select perspective mode.  You can use one of the other projections, cylindrical or spherical, to get a full 360 export.

If you want to save this to the web as a "virtual tour".  Then you need an interactive viewer on your web site.  Some alternatives are:

- ICE can export to a "Deep Zoom Tileset" which creates a simple web page for you, but you need to upload this to your web site.

- ICE can export to Photosynth, you can then visit Photosynth.net and get the "embed" code and insert this into your web site.

- If you select cylindrical or spherical output then you can import this into the authoring tools for Flash based viewers such as KRPano.

Wednesday, June 15, 2011 2:58 PM

All replies

• You can not save the full 360 as a "perspective" image.  The perspective projection only works up to about 100 degrees, so ICE only saves the current 100 degree sub-view if you select perspective mode.  You can use one of the other projections, cylindrical or spherical, to get a full 360 export.

If you want to save this to the web as a "virtual tour".  Then you need an interactive viewer on your web site.  Some alternatives are:

- ICE can export to a "Deep Zoom Tileset" which creates a simple web page for you, but you need to upload this to your web site.

- ICE can export to Photosynth, you can then visit Photosynth.net and get the "embed" code and insert this into your web site.

- If you select cylindrical or spherical output then you can import this into the authoring tools for Flash based viewers such as KRPano.

Wednesday, June 15, 2011 2:58 PM
  • Is it possible to create a full 360deg sphere or 360/180deg half-sphere panoramas with ICE?  If so, how do I deal with projection?

Cheers!

• Edited by phototramp Sunday, September 18, 2011 1:52 PM
    Sunday, September 18, 2011 1:27 PM
  • Yes you can create a 360 x 180. The only projection that works is "Sphere" because a sphere can cover the poles.  Cylinders don't have a top or bottom so they don't cover the poles.  Perspective mode (just like your perspective camera) can only cover a limited portion of a 360 environment.

I encourage you to experiment with the different options in the 3D orientation view to get a feel for what they do.

Sunday, September 18, 2011 4:01 PM
  • '360 x 180' - that would be half-sphere?  I've seen people creating either full or almost-full sphere panoramas (e.g. indoors).  Is that duable with ICE?

For the projection, that should be spherical-horizontal, right?

Thanks!

Monday, September 19, 2011 10:10 AM
  • Last question, is there a way of shooting half-sphere or full sphere panoramas in such an order that can be described in Structured Panorama window.  In other words, do I do full circle leveled horizontal sweep and then keep doing smaller circles above and below it until I hit poles?  Or is there a better way?

Cheers!

Monday, September 19, 2011 10:58 AM
  • 360 x 180 is a full sphere.  There are only 180 degrees from pole to pole.  Another way to think of this is that when you see of flat map of planet earth it isn't a square, rather it has a 2:1 aspect ratio 360 degrees horizontally and 180 degress vertically.

Yes this is possible with ICE.  You should use sphere horizontal.

In order to use structured panorama every row and column (depending on the way you sweep) needs to have the same number of images.  If you are sweeping in rows this means that the upper rows have more overlap than the one at the equator, but that is what you need to provide to structured pano.

Monday, September 19, 2011 4:21 PM
  • why don't you try other program? i always travel around, so a panorama software is a must-have thing, now i use panorama maker which can get 360 panoramas easily, importantly, it also can make 3d panorama that other tools couldn't do.
    Wednesday, April 17, 2013 7:47 AM
  • I realize this entry is a bit late...

take a look at circlepix.com . . . they recommend MS ICE and their back office for hosting online realty virtual tours. . .

Until that time . . .  Earl J.

• Edited by Earl...J Friday, June 7, 2013 12:31 AM
    Friday, June 7, 2013 12:28 AM