Access rights on WHS 2011 Media Library does not work RRS feed

All replies

• This is part of the DLNA specification which WHS2011 conforms to - if you stream a folder, the whole content can be seen. The only way around it is to switch off streaming for the folder containing sensitive data.
    Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    • Proposed as answer by Phil Harrison Friday, January 20, 2012 4:53 PM
    Friday, January 20, 2012 4:53 PM
  • Thanks for your tip, but how do you switch off streaming for individual folders?

I'll guess i'm not the only one who wants to protect sensitive data.

Regards

Jarstro

Saturday, January 21, 2012 12:44 PM
  • What if you try this?

Under the user tab of the dashboard, click on user properties for the username you gave to your friends - Under the remote web access tab, make sure that the media box is unchecked and that the shared folders tab is checked.

You can then control their folder access under the shared folder tab and individual file access in the properties to each file (via windows explorer).

When your friends log in, they'll see shared folders, but they won't see media library.

Saturday, January 21, 2012 2:59 PM
  • Yes, this is possible, but its a very limiting way of browsing photos and videos. Back to what whs v1 was. :-(

Meadia streaming is one of the nice new features with whs 2011, but without access control its useless.

Hope someone would make an Media Library add-in that doeas this much better than Microsoft did.

We have add-ins that fix the drive extender issue, so why not this?

Saturday, January 21, 2012 3:56 PM
  • Thanks for your tip, but how do you switch off streaming for individual folders?

Dashboard, Server Settings, Media, Media Library, Customize. There is nothing for Microsoft to correct as all they are doing is implementing the DLNA Specification!

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Saturday, January 21, 2012 4:05 PM
  • What good is it if Microsoft says its nothing to correct as long as it is following the DLNA secifications, when its not working as many users would expect it to work ?
    Looks like the Media Library is running as another users (admin?) than the logged on user?
    Well if Microsoft thinks this is all well and done, then its all up the add-on makers to show you how can be done.

Looking forward to that.

Sunday, January 22, 2012 5:10 PM
  • I have the same issue/concern. I want to provide access to friend and family and allow them to stream home videos, etc., but I want to provide access based on the user and not allow access to all of my media. I have home videos that are several gig so streaming is the best option. If I turn the media library off as others have suggested and only provide file access by user, yes it will limit access as I desire, but my friends and family would have to first download the files before they can view them (Not simply stream/browse them). I to hope someone comes out with a solution as this is one of the primary reasons I invested in a WHS 2011 Server.
    Wednesday, August 1, 2012 1:20 AM