How to uninstall WGAT - I was tricked. RRS feed

• Question

• I'm not very pleased, in fact I'm extremely unhappy at Microsoft, for tricking me to install Microsoft Windows Genuine Advantage Tool.

I take care to know what is going into my computer.  Being a paying customer of Microsoft and Windows XP and other Microsoft products on all of my computers, I feel violated to say the least when Microsoft Tricked me, after many unaccepted attempts, into installing Microsoft Windows Advantage Validation Tool.  Microsoft did this by telling me that "an update must be installed".  It did not give me information on what was to be installed.

I was having trouble with a new graphics card and monitor setup when Microsoft so rudely took advantage of me causing my computer to be installed with, what I would consider invasive software.

I have given Microsoft $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.     Is this how I am repaid?  By asking me to install something that checks whether I am stealing from them every day?!   I'm not happy about this and to say the least I will have the correct people look into this matter further.  If you are also a paying customer of windows and believe you were violated I ask only that you make your case known somewhere on the Internet, and if not, to Microsoft.  Microsoft's phone number is 800-642-7676.  Also you can express your thought and suggestions at the Windows Genuine Advantage Forums Here: http://forums.microsoft.com/Genuine/ShowForum.aspx?ForumID=1003&SiteID=25

Get out of my house if you are not invited.  I never willingly asked for this software to be installed and I was never given the opportunity to disallow it's installation by a truthful and obvious description of what was to be installed.

I had been given the subtle option in the past when I chose not to install it.  Not this time, it installed without my prior knowledge of what was to be installed.  I also would like to make it clear here that most software including Microsoft's will ask, with a check box, wether you would like to be asked for install again later.  Not this update.  Not this software.  Not this invasion.

I feel that if Microsoft keeps these invasive tactics up, then I am going to quit using its software.  As hard as that may sound seeing how Microsoft is very diverse, I will do it.  I hope others in the world see their privacy and firewalls as important as i do.

Thank you,

A paid user of multiple Microsoft Products

Friday, November 17, 2006 5:06 AM

Answers

• Dear Private-orisit,

Sorry to hear about your experience.  I am guessing that you are discussing the WGA Notifications tool, which in an earlier incarnation was incorrectly labeled "WGA Validation Tool."  We are very interested in your experience and your feedback.  Just to clarify, WGA Validation is usually installed as an ActiveX control when you visit a Web site on Microsoft.com that requires genuine Windows validation.  This is because Microsoft wants to reserve certain content only for paying customers.

With WGA Notifications, this is installed with Automatic Updates.  We always display a EULA (end user license agreement) before installing, but some people may accidentally click through or miss it.  We have heard this feedback and are in fact working on a new release that improves the installation experience.  So thank you.

Our goal is to deliver effective anti-piracy technology with minimal inconvenience to our customers.  I hope you'll give us another try.

Thanks,

David

• Marked as answer by JeniferA Thursday, August 28, 2008 5:17 PM
    Tuesday, November 21, 2006 12:51 AM
  • DeeDee12414,

According to your post on 07-13-06, http://forums.microsoft.com/genuine/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=553300&SiteID=25, your Dell Dimension 4600i has a nongenuine installation of XP Pro.

Assuming this is still the case, correcting the problem is as simple as putting back onto the computer the genuine installation of XP that came with the computer, most likely XP Home.  If you do not have the Dell OS Reinstallation CD, Dell will send you one for about $12.

• Marked as answer by JeniferA Thursday, August 28, 2008 5:18 PM
    Sunday, December 10, 2006 5:12 PM

All replies

• Information regarding your WGA concerns can be found here:

Windows Genuine Advantage - FAQ: http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/downloads/faq.aspx

Friday, November 17, 2006 9:03 PM
  • Dear Private-orisit,

Sorry to hear about your experience.  I am guessing that you are discussing the WGA Notifications tool, which in an earlier incarnation was incorrectly labeled "WGA Validation Tool."  We are very interested in your experience and your feedback.  Just to clarify, WGA Validation is usually installed as an ActiveX control when you visit a Web site on Microsoft.com that requires genuine Windows validation.  This is because Microsoft wants to reserve certain content only for paying customers.

With WGA Notifications, this is installed with Automatic Updates.  We always display a EULA (end user license agreement) before installing, but some people may accidentally click through or miss it.  We have heard this feedback and are in fact working on a new release that improves the installation experience.  So thank you.

Our goal is to deliver effective anti-piracy technology with minimal inconvenience to our customers.  I hope you'll give us another try.

Thanks,

David

• Marked as answer by JeniferA Thursday, August 28, 2008 5:17 PM
    Tuesday, November 21, 2006 12:51 AM
  •  David Lazar MSFT wrote:

Dear Private-orisit,

Sorry to hear about your experience. I am guessing that you are discussing the WGA Notifications tool, which in an earlier incarnation was incorrectly labeled "WGA Validation Tool." We are very interested in your experience and your feedback. Just to clarify, WGA Validation is usually installed as an ActiveX control when you visit a Web site on Microsoft.com that requires genuine Windows validation. This is because Microsoft wants to reserve certain content only for paying customers.

With WGA Notifications, this is installed with Automatic Updates. We always display a EULA (end user license agreement) before installing, but some people may accidentally click through or miss it. We have heard this feedback and are in fact working on a new release that improves the installation experience. So thank you.

Our goal is to deliver effective anti-piracy technology with minimal inconvenience to our customers. I hope you'll give us another try.

Thanks,

David

The statement 'always display a EULA' is not true. In fact, the update is disguised as a Critical Windows Update, and, you have to specifically click on it to get any additional info. It doesn't just tell you what it outright.

In any event, I'm also very dissatisfied, and it creates a lot of hassle. I work at a computer repair shop, and I cannot tell you how many times we run into trouble with it - false negatives, or OEMs (Dell, HP, etc.) who use bulk installers that don't use the same key as whats affixed to the outside of the machine, etc.

I recognize that Microsoft has a business to protect, especially when its losing marketshare to competitors with far better products. But I think Microsoft should start, if piracy was indeed the reason, lowering the cost of Windows to something reasonable. I really don't think my copy (fully legit and all) of WindowsXP Professional x64 was worth $160. Maybe $100, but I'd value it more around $80 myself. Its an OS.

I don't want (and further wish I could uninstall) MSN Messenger, Internet Explorer, Outlook Express, Windows Movie Maker, etc. I don't need it or want it. Let those be separate products (free or whatever). I just want an OS that functions simply as an OS. NT 4 was closer to the right idea. It wasn't tied in with an insecure browser or anything. Mac OS X, for example, has a lot of extras (costs $99 btw), but I can remove them at will. Don't like Safari? Simply delete it. I won't even go into Linux.

Anyway, Genuine Advantage has, as far as I can tell no advantages to me. It doesn't help me sleep better since I now know for sure that I really paid for my software. I already knew that. Now, everytime I need an update or something silly, I gotta go through this GA stuff, and its REALLY ANNOYING!

What you should do is make build in a link (like, under the control panel with the automatic updates) that says 'Check to see if my License is Valid', and let it be an pass through option for users using automatic updates.

Or, if you really want to compete with piracy, make Windows accessible enough (dollar wise) its just not worth the trouble to pirate (ie: Windows XP Home: $40, cuz we all know that Dell gets it for that price or less).

All that said, I'm with the parent. I want it off my machine. Even if its not doing anything, its annoying, and I also consider it an invasion of my piracy. Especially since, as stated by an enormous sticker on the top of the package that Microsoft does not provide end user support. Convenient. It gets really annoying when I do system upgrades or change motherboards, or anything else that constitutes a 'major hardware change', and before I get to install my new network drivers, I gotta activate . . . again. I get a nice message saying I got to call this number (again) to activate cuz it couldn't reach the network (since I can't login to install the drivers yet). So, I call, go through the much too long process, waiting for the tele-bot to catch up. Then, oops, can't activate. Gotta talk to somebody from another part of the world who clearly doesn't speak English as a first language, and explain that I upgraded my computer and need to activate . . . again.

Vista (by everything I've read) is going to be even worse about it.

Is Microsoft listening?

How do I remove Microsoft Genuine Advantage from my computer (without having to resort to asking hackers)?

- Josh
    Tuesday, November 21, 2006 5:52 AM
  • I am having major problems here with my pc also due to this

I can not properly update my computer anymore

I am so very upset about this problem

I did not ask for this at all

I have no way to remove this nor do I have a product key to validate and I refuse to spend all this money for something I did not ask for

my email is d1dn@hotmail.com

Diane

Sunday, December 10, 2006 4:06 PM
  • DeeDee12414,

According to your post on 07-13-06, http://forums.microsoft.com/genuine/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=553300&SiteID=25, your Dell Dimension 4600i has a nongenuine installation of XP Pro.

Assuming this is still the case, correcting the problem is as simple as putting back onto the computer the genuine installation of XP that came with the computer, most likely XP Home.  If you do not have the Dell OS Reinstallation CD, Dell will send you one for about $12.

• Marked as answer by JeniferA Thursday, August 28, 2008 5:18 PM
    Sunday, December 10, 2006 5:12 PM
  • OK, so I'm replying to an old thread, but it's important because it comes up on page 1, at the top of a Google search on this subject. 

1.  Suggesting that anybody use NT today, or even in 2006, is foolhardy.  Do you want to go back to "Blue Screen of Death"?  I don't.

2.  Dell and any other manufacturer will charge you about what they tell you they pay for it, which is about 50% of list price for an OEM copy, currently about $60-75.    And they will also send you your drivers and or restore CD.  It's not cheap, so hang on to your CD, and don't buy a PC without a CD. 

3.  "Losing marketshare to competitors with far better products"?  What planet are you on?  Linux and OS/2 are not products.  Mac is not better than Microsoft.  Their server technologies are practically nonexistent in the business world and their client systems are not interoperable with Windows networks (not in a practical way), which makes them unuseable in any context except SAMBA or Unix networks.  Either way, centralized printing and authentication is just about impossible.  I know because I have personally tried to make it work on a Unix network with Macs, and a Windows network with Macs.  The resulting mishmash is not business quality software, and is not reliable enough for heavy duty use.  Just ask any graphic designer working in a Mac ghetto at a mostly Widows based company.  Go ahead.  And if you want to pull all your hair out, try to make it work. 

4.  What part of "read the EULA" did you miss?  If you're making a major hardware change then you must buy a new copy of Windows.  If you don't agree with those terms, Linux is getting to be quite useable by the general population, but do expect some difficulties - as a result of your own decisions, not MS.  Or feel free to buy Mac, but expect difficulties there too, such as higher expense (you seem concerned about money - not quality), and a near total lack of highly technical information.  MS's website will be sorely missed by anyone who's familiar with it, and then buys Mac. 

I agree that the Windows EULA is in need of an overhaul and a massive dose of common sense.  In fact the whole idea of giving someone a EULA and saying to them "oh, since you're using our software, it proves you agree to this" is a fallacy.  But until a new idea is forced upon the software industry, it isn't changing, so at least take steps to be informed of what's in the EULA before you go posting diatribes on the internet. 

I am not an empoloyee of MS, nor affiliated in any way with MS or any other company I mentioned in this post. 
    Wednesday, December 31, 2008 7:47 AM
  •  David,

You are a VERY funny guy!!!

The EULA is longwinded piece of gobbldy gook that nobody reads. We just trust Microsoft with the expectation that Microsoft will do the right thing.

But i seems our trust has been violated.
    Sunday, March 8, 2009 1:37 PM
  • That's it!  OUR TRUST HAS BEEN VIOLATED!

Just because I give you the right to AUTOMATICALLY update my computer doesn't mean you have the right to install GENUINE.

This is just plain wrong.

Sincerely,
    Microsoft Sucks User

Sunday, April 12, 2009 10:18 PM