WHS Data Restore after clean reinstall RRS feed

• Question

• I have been having various problems with my whs that I built about two years ago so I decided to backup the server using the built in backup that I have been using every since it has been available then I did a clean install and windows and whs updates to the latest pp3.  Then I connected my external backup sata hard drive via a sata port on my server and went to restore my data.  I went into the whs console to do the restore which I have never done.  I learned there are two restore options where one apparently erases everything and then restores and the other only restores what is missing.  Since I had done a clean install it did not seem to matter which I chose so I started one and it seemed to start OK and then I checked after about a half hour and it seem to have died from an error so I tried the other option and the same seemed to happen.  I forget the order I went in but in my opinion either way should be fine for me since no data was on the server.  I had checked all the boxes to restore.  Later in confusion and googleing the subject and not really finding anything I decided to try to just restore one folder at a time so I started with music.  This seemed to take forever.  My entire backup took about 12 hours and the restore of my music took way longer than that.  Last evening I started to restore only my DVD folder and checked it this morning and it was no way near done. 

My question is why is this so complicated.  Whey can it not restore everything at once and why does it take so much longer than a backup.  It apparently will take days in this manner and I am using sataII.  Is there a better way.  In my opinion this connection at least should be the fastest.  The last time I did this was years ago and I copied the files to the shared folders via a client and even though I have more data now the speed was no way near this slow.  What am I doing wrong.  Have other restored everything at once and what method did you use.

Monday, August 16, 2010 11:44 AM

All replies

• Backups are faster than restoring because (after the first backup) only changes from the last backup are backed up, much like an "incremental" backup in a traditional backup strategy. So a backup may only need to copy a few files to the backup drive. Restoring needs to copy everything to the server. In addition, restoring needs to deal with the overhead created by Drive Extender, which manages the files on your server. This can reduce disk throughput significantly. If your backup drive is a 2 TB drive, and pretty close to full, I could easily see it taking 2-3 days to restore everything.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, August 16, 2010 12:38 PM
  • That was my understanding it just seems way too long.  My restore was only from a one time backup. Can you explain why I would have had problems using the actual restore method from the console.  Each method died very soon.  The only method that seems to work is copying for example all of my music folders at once.  Then I need to check after so many hours to then manually instruct it to do the same for photos for example.

In retrospect I guess I should have only reinstalled the sys partition but I wanted to start from scratch.  I have done only the sys before.

Has anyone here ever done the restore through the console had had it work.

Monday, August 16, 2010 12:48 PM
  • That was my understanding it just seems way too long.  My restore was only from a one time backup. Can you explain why I would have had problems using the actual restore method from the console.  Each method died very soon.  The only method that seems to work is copying for example all of my music folders at once.  Then I need to check after so many hours to then manually instruct it to do the same for photos for example.

In retrospect I guess I should have only reinstalled the sys partition but I wanted to start from scratch.  I have done only the sys before.

Has anyone here ever done the restore through the console had had it work.

I would go back to the original problem:  what happened that prompted you to decide to reinstall WHS in the first place?
    Tuesday, August 17, 2010 3:44 AM