Money 2004 Ver 12.0 - Adding new transaction corrupts file and prevents exit RRS feed

• Question

• I've reached a point where adding a transaction seems to work, but when I exit I get a message starting "Money was not able to properly initialize Online Services...." or it crashes.  On restart it complains about a corrupted file but cannot fix it.  I can restore from the backup and as long as I don't create new transactions it is fine.

I thought it might be the file size (16,617,472) and tried deleting some old accounts.  This did not help.  This is on the latest Windows 10.

Perhaps there is a later version available that I can use.

Any thoughts?

Update: I found Money Plus Sunset Deluxe on Microsoft's web site.  It wouldn't convert the current file, but it would convert one from a few days earlier.  So far it seems to be working ok.
    • Edited by fbell50t Sunday, March 22, 2020 5:27 AM
    Sunday, March 22, 2020 4:55 AM

All replies

• From all you have written I suspect that your Money 2004 program installation on your computer was slightly corrupt - enough to cause the 'transaction entry' problem but not bad enough to stop the program opening and closing ~ as opposed to corruption of your data file (***.mny).

It is good to hear that installation of an uncorrupt program has given you access to your data.

For all I know, Money Plus Sunset Deluxe behaves differently from the Money 2004 that you remember. If you DON'T like the 'improvements' and you still have the Money 2004 installation CD you should be able to - uninstall Sunset Deluxe and subsequently - install 2004 and then - open one of your older files. Money 2004 will NOT open any data files made by Money Plus Sunset Deluxe.

Teabag   

Sunday, March 22, 2020 6:51 AM
  • Here is something you can do to a Money file (*.mny) but not a backup file(*.mbf)

=======FILE REPAIR LEVEL 2================
    File->RepairMoneyFile->QuickFileRepair

Then do File->RepairMoneyFile->StandardFileRepair level 2. Choose a new filename for the result, such as Hope2. If you do that, the repaired file will be named Hope2.mny.

Then open Hope2.mny. Do File->RepairMoneyFile->QuickFileRepair again.

================================================

=========Suggested Backup Settings==============

Money Sunset has some extra features, including a new multi-version backup system. 

In Money Plus: Tools->Settings->BackupSettings
    I suggest checking
     x Automatically backup my Money file every time I close Money
      Save in [a place on your hard drive ]. It is best to Browse to
         a location rather than typing the path.
       x Ask me before backing up each time*
       x Compress Backup Files
       Keep only the _20_most recent backup files [adjust to taste]

x Perform scheduled backups every _7_ days
      Save in [a USB flash drive location]
       x Ask me before backing up each time*
       x Compress Backup Files
       Keep only the _8_most recent backup files [adjust to taste]

* The reason I have Money ask me, is that I don't want to back up
    each time I exit.  If I went into Money 5 times in a day, I would
    not want to back up 5 times, nor would I want to delete 5 other
    backup files.  You will be given the choice to BackUpNow or to
    Postpone.

Sunday, March 22, 2020 1:54 PM
  • If you are going to stick with Money Sunset, you should do the mnyob99.dll replacement that is described in the first "sticky" thread in this forum:

https://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/d28d6921-1f01-430f-b33e-f5a3ec47077b/important-patch-for-money-plus-maybe-20062007-mnyob99dll?forum=money

Post back if you need help doing that.

Bill Becker

Tuesday, March 24, 2020 3:22 AM