none
Smileys? RRS feed

• Question

• It would be nice if we can add smileys from a list, or the parser converts the code to image.

:) :D ;) :o
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties.
    Monday, February 18, 2008 4:22 PM

Answers

• At this point we're going to come down on the side of smileys aren't appropriate for technical forums, and not put them on the list for the future. I have added "instant poll" as a post type to consider for the future. I'm going to close this thread out now and mark this as the answer.
    Forums Product Planner, Andrew.Brenner at Microsoft.com
    Wednesday, April 2, 2008 3:08 PM

All replies

• I disagree.

Many of us do NOT like having smileys embedded in our posts and replies -just because there happen to be characters that will automatically be converted to smileys.

You may be only one person in the world, but you may also be the world to one person.
    Monday, February 18, 2008 5:23 PM
  • Arnie Rowland said:

I disagree.

Many of us do NOT like having smileys embedded in our posts and replies -just because there happen to be characters that will automatically be converted to smileys.

You may be only one person in the world, but you may also be the world to one person.

I agree with Arnie there are times when I'm typing replies on forums only for the resulting post to have a multitude of smilies in inappropriate places, better IMHO to add smilies if needed, but to be honest they tend to get over used and posts can look a bit kindergardenish.

David
    Monday, February 18, 2008 5:29 PM
  • FlowM@N said:

It would be nice if we can add smileys from a list, or the parser converts the code to image.

I believe that smylies are neccesary.

Sometimes words can't express what you feel, as well here we are professionals and workers but over all other things we are humans and have feelings.

I would like to have smylies like in any other internet forums.

;)
    Juan Carlos Ruiz
    Tuesday, February 19, 2008 1:36 PM
  • Coming from the older CompuServe and Newsgroup venues, I have absolutely no problem with emoticons (rather than graphical Smileys). If we're voting :-), then I vote with those against.

If we are going to get them, then I wouldn't want any that automatically replace characters in a posting (as happens currently to anything outside a code block).
    Cindy Meister, VSTO and Word MVP
    Tuesday, February 19, 2008 3:47 PM
  • Cindy Meister said:

If we are going to get them, then I wouldn't want any that automatically replace characters in a posting (as happens currently to anything outside a code block).

Cindy Meister, VSTO and Word MVP

I agree.
    Juan Carlos Ruiz
    Tuesday, February 19, 2008 5:45 PM
  • FlowM@N said:

...or the parser converts the code to image.

Noooooooooooo!!!

My personal feelings are that this is a technical site, not a social networking site... We're all here to ask/answer questions surrounding Microsoft products and technologies. Using text-based emoticons is fine, but I can do without the "fluff" of other "kid-friendly" sites.

I vote to leave them out all together, or at least to have NO automatic parsing.
    Phil Brammer | http://www.ssistalk.com
    Tuesday, February 19, 2008 6:40 PM
  • Hmm. I have more than 1700 posts in the forum, but I never had a problem with automatic parsing, but I can understand your opinion. I agree with you, this is not a social networking site or something like that, but a graphical smiley is more expressive than the code like ":)" etc. IMHO.

Let's make a poll! Feature request. :D
    Tuesday, February 19, 2008 9:00 PM
  • FlowM@N said:

Hmm. I have more than 1700 posts in the forum, but I never had a problem with automatic parsing, but I can understand your opinion. I agree with you, this is not a social networking site or something like that, but a graphical smiley is more expressive than the code like ":)" etc. IMHO.

Let's make a poll! Feature request. :D

I vote: no graphical smiley at all :-)
    MVP Windows Desktop Experience
    Tuesday, February 19, 2008 9:13 PM
  • How about we allow smileys, but, the users should be able to turn them off if they want Smiley
    Thursday, February 21, 2008 8:14 PM
  • No.

How about allowing smileys, BUT only if they are explicitly inserted -NOT automatic character replacement.

Apparantly, those who advocate for smileys do NOT use the public MSDN forums very often. (I'm specifically referrering to the MSDN web based forums.)

Because if you did, and had to deal with the constant barrage of frustration related to the 'auto-replacement' of characters, you would join with those of us that are adamanently against smileys.

Thursday, February 21, 2008 8:52 PM
  • works for me.
    Thursday, February 21, 2008 9:06 PM
  • Oi!

I really dislike smileys; I wish that I didn't have to use :) at all but it seems a must to keep flame wars from starting. but if I must leave ascii art :P at least leave it as I type it.

the pointless stream of bob-looking yellow leering faces does not add to my understanding of an interface.

poll is a good idea, pretty small beer feature too.
    you should read more
    Friday, February 22, 2008 3:51 AM
  • Poll as a post type is a great idea, and one we’re considering for the future.

In the meantime, if you want to create a sort of poll in the suggestions forum, you might try creating two thread called Vote: Smiley (Yes) and Vote: Smiley (No), and use the vote as helpful or not helpful buttons. It’s not perfect, but would be one way to create a tally of opinions.

Andrew Brenner, Forums Product Planner
    Friday, February 22, 2008 3:42 PM
  • At this point we're going to come down on the side of smileys aren't appropriate for technical forums, and not put them on the list for the future. I have added "instant poll" as a post type to consider for the future. I'm going to close this thread out now and mark this as the answer.
    Forums Product Planner, Andrew.Brenner at Microsoft.com
    Wednesday, April 2, 2008 3:08 PM
  • A moment of sanity in an insane world.

Thanks!
    Saturday, April 5, 2008 3:34 PM
  • Sorry if this is in the wrong thread, but why are smileys showing up in the code?  Seems like the decision above was to disable them, but when I read the forums anything with a : is transformed into a cute pic.  Is there a setting I need to change to get rid of them?  Is smileys the default for some reason?
    Tuesday, February 10, 2009 4:05 PM
  • could you point me to a thread in particular. AS far as I know, we still don't support smileys... trying one now..  :)
    Matt Fraser, STO Forums Software Developer
    Tuesday, February 10, 2009 6:33 PM
  • 2 funny...  :@
    (brb) (B)(B)

i would like to have iconic smileys at least in spanish forums. ;) (Y)

if somebody doesn't like to use iconic smileys, just don't use it.
    if someone like to use iconic smileys, just use it!

but actually only users that disagree with iconic smileys have been listened by the forums team.

Juan Carlos Ruiz - http://juank.black-byte.com
    Tuesday, February 10, 2009 6:35 PM
  • http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...
    Sorry I can't figure out how to link to an individual post, but scroll down near the end to the post by Mykel and you'll see a good example. :)
    Thanks,
    Mike
    Wednesday, February 11, 2009 12:55 PM
  • This is a post imported from the old system which did support smilies (note, it's a year old, and the smiley images references are on the old forums domain). This is precisely the type of reason that we don't think smilies belong on this type of forum.

Matt
    Matt Fraser, STO Forums Software Developer
    Wednesday, February 11, 2009 6:45 PM