Windows 7 Home Premium (x64) HP desktop "not genuine" RRS feed

• Question

• HP model p6-2003w, purchased new from WalMart years ago. No modifications, no changes in hardware, all updates set to automatic. Warranty expired, but otherwise still working.

After graphics driver (AMD Radeon HD 6370D) and antivirus (Avast Free) updates, I get "counterfeit" and "not genuine" warnings. 

I've attempted to find the problem, but after safe mode scans with Malwarebytes and tdsskiller found nothing, I've come to you.

Please advise how to attach txt files of scans from FRST and OTL.

I repeat: this is an OEM of Windows 7 Home Premium, 64 bit. This just started happening after about 3 or 4 years of daily use with no other problems.

Thursday, March 30, 2017 5:09 AM

Answers

• MGA Diagnostic Report is Required

To properly analyze and solve problems with Activation and Validation, we need to see a full copy of the diagnostic report produced by the MGADiag tool (download and save to desktop - http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012 )

Once downloaded, run the tool.
    Click on the Continue button, after a short time, the Continue button will change to a Copy button.
    Click on the Copy button in the tool (ignore any error messages at this point), and then paste (using either r-click/Paste, or Ctrl+V ) into your post.

Carey Frisch

Friday, March 31, 2017 2:33 AM

All replies

• And it continues... when I went to the Control Panel just now, I got the "Genuine Windows, Resolve online" 5-pointed star popup.

However, when I clicked on the link, the server was down.

Control Panel, Windows Update Troubleshooter: Windows is up to date. How can I have a "counterfeit" message, if all my updates since my first bootup are still showing?

Yellow Warning Triangle: "Optional Update Delivery is not working. You may be a victim of software counterfeiting." (I'm not, but thanks.)

Go online and resolve now link -- clicked on that, I get a screen full of blue underlined text. Chrome browser says "this page is trying to load scripts from unauthenticated sources". Tried to post a snip of the weird screen, but apparently my account needs to be verified.

Thursday, March 30, 2017 1:46 PM
  • Clicked on the Genuine Microsoft browser tab "Validate Now" link, and I got a bunch of yellow triangle "An error has occured in the script on this page". Blank panel on screen.

Tried it again, and got a security warning. "The publisher could not be verified. Are you sure you want to run this software?" Publisher is "Unknown".

Thursday, March 30, 2017 2:15 PM
  • MGA Diagnostic Report is Required

To properly analyze and solve problems with Activation and Validation, we need to see a full copy of the diagnostic report produced by the MGADiag tool (download and save to desktop - http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012 )

Once downloaded, run the tool.
    Click on the Continue button, after a short time, the Continue button will change to a Copy button.
    Click on the Copy button in the tool (ignore any error messages at this point), and then paste (using either r-click/Paste, or Ctrl+V ) into your post.

Carey Frisch

Friday, March 31, 2017 2:33 AM
  • Control Panel, Windows Update Troubleshooter: Windows is up to date. How can I have a "counterfeit" message, if all my updates since my first bootup are still showing?

A system that shows as non-genuine doesn't uninstall anything - and since Windows 7 is now out of support except for security updates, it will still be kept up to date since such systems will still install security updates.

As Carey has said, we will need to see an MGADiag report to be able to troubleshoot the problem.

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
    CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    No - I do not work for Microsoft, or any of its contractors.

Wednesday, April 12, 2017 11:35 AM