How to keep Live Mesh from starting when Windows Starts? RRS feed

• Question

• I have searched everywhere for the past few days...

How in the world do you stop Live Mesh from starting when Windows Starts? I don't want to uninstall it, but I don't want it loading everytime I reboot either.

Help.

Thanks
    Saturday, December 13, 2008 2:32 PM

Answers

• The registry key is actually:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

(HKEY_CURRENT_USER is often abbrebiated as HKCU)

To avoid the risk of "hacking" the registry with RegEdit, I highly recommend the autoruns tool from http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb963902.aspx . It lists all processes that start automatically (which can be stored in various locations, including the Run key in registry and the Startup folder in Start > Programs menu and many more) and you can disable any of them by simply clicking a checkbox. And if you later change your mind you can re-enable it in the same way. You'll find MoeMonitor on the "WinLogon" tab (or the "Everything" tab of course).

Or if you have Windows Vista you can get similar functionality using Windows Defender.
    Stefan Krueger, Microsoft MVP - Windows Installer, www.InstallSite.org
    Wednesday, December 17, 2008 10:31 AM

All replies

• Good point, I don't think you can. pretty bad, you should be able to turn this off.
    http://jamiethomson.spaces.live.com/ | http://blogs.conchango.com/jamiethomson
    Saturday, December 13, 2008 3:32 PM
  • You can right click on the Live Mesh icon in your system tray and sign out. Then click sign in but this time uncheck the option to 'sign me in automatically'.

Thanks,

Nadia Fortini
    Live Mesh Team
    Nadia Fortini - Live Mesh Team
    • Marked as answer by Nadia Fortini Saturday, December 13, 2008 11:45 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by Nick Staroba Tuesday, December 16, 2008 11:02 PM
    Saturday, December 13, 2008 11:45 PM
  • If you are talking about the actual Live Mesh client software then you could try the following:

1. Add it as a configuration suggestion to the suggestion list (it has my +1 already, I always like to easily configure what programs can start at startup, though I would most likely always have Live Mesh starting up with my machine)

2. You can stop Live Mesh from opening by removing the entry to "MoeMonitor.exe" from your registry (normal warning for mucking around in the registry applies), under HKLU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

3. If you want to stop services as well, then stop the "Live Mesh Remote Desktop" service
    Sunday, December 14, 2008 1:53 PM
  • Nadia Fortini said:

You can right click on the Live Mesh icon in your system tray and sign out. Then click sign in but this time uncheck the option to 'sign me in automatically'.

Thanks,

Nadia Fortini
    Live Mesh Team

Nadia Fortini - Live Mesh Team

That's a bit different than what I requested, but thanks :/

Tuesday, December 16, 2008 11:03 PM
  • nachmore said:

If you are talking about the actual Live Mesh client software then you could try the following:

1. Add it as a configuration suggestion to the suggestion list (it has my +1 already, I always like to easily configure what programs can start at startup, though I would most likely always have Live Mesh starting up with my machine)

2. You can stop Live Mesh from opening by removing the entry to "MoeMonitor.exe" from your registry (normal warning for mucking around in the registry applies), under HKLU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

3. If you want to stop services as well, then stop the "Live Mesh Remote Desktop" service

I think something major was forgotten in the development process if I have to resort to editing the registry to keep a program from loading on startup....

Argh...

But ya, thanks. I'll do what I have to do...

And where exactly do I find this registry entry?

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT
    AppID
    MoeMonitor.exe

There are two entries in this folder. (I'm not terribly familiar with Registry editing...)
    Tuesday, December 16, 2008 11:06 PM
  • Agreed - this is an option that should be enabled somewhere, it shouldn't be that hard to stop.

You are looking for the following registry entry:

HKEY_LOCAL_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

And if you want to stop the service (that provides Remote Desktop) then open up Services (Control Panel -> Administrator Tools -> Services) and set "Live Mesh Remote Desktop" to "start up type" of "Manual".
    Wednesday, December 17, 2008 8:14 AM
  • The registry key is actually:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

(HKEY_CURRENT_USER is often abbrebiated as HKCU)

To avoid the risk of "hacking" the registry with RegEdit, I highly recommend the autoruns tool from http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb963902.aspx . It lists all processes that start automatically (which can be stored in various locations, including the Run key in registry and the Startup folder in Start > Programs menu and many more) and you can disable any of them by simply clicking a checkbox. And if you later change your mind you can re-enable it in the same way. You'll find MoeMonitor on the "WinLogon" tab (or the "Everything" tab of course).

Or if you have Windows Vista you can get similar functionality using Windows Defender.
    Stefan Krueger, Microsoft MVP - Windows Installer, www.InstallSite.org
    Wednesday, December 17, 2008 10:31 AM
  • whoops... teaches me not to type these things from "other" machines...

Thanks!
    Wednesday, December 17, 2008 1:30 PM
  • That's Hkey Current User, in XP.
    Wednesday, February 25, 2009 6:07 PM
  • not the most elegant solution, but easier than messing with registry:

hit start
    type 'msconfig' in search bar (vista) or in click on run and type msconfig for xp
    hit enter, then click the startup tab in the dialog
    uncheck live mesh and whatever else you like

Wednesday, February 25, 2009 11:02 PM
  •  

I see this as important too since here in the antipodes we have extremely asymmetric broadband and very slow upload speeds. And I pay for upload as well as down.

I see Mesh as a still early development so I'll be patient and this functionality will, I expect, be rightly added soon.

Then there's Properties, link editing.. etc.  And the difference between developments in Folder Share and Mesh. Interesting times.

Saturday, February 28, 2009 5:53 PM
  •  

I see this as important too since here in the antipodes we have extremely asymmetric broadband and very slow upload speeds. And I pay for upload as well as down.

I see Mesh as a still early development so I'll be patient and this functionality will, I expect, be rightly added soon.

Then there's Properties, link editing.. etc.  And the difference between developments in Folder Share and Mesh. Interesting times.

Totally agree :D

Sometimes I'd like to share some folder also, but Mesh limits sharing up to 9 persons only. I want it more like skydrive, an ability to share all public, or friends only, etc.

Friday, November 19, 2010 2:52 AM
  •  

Totally agree :D

Sometimes I'd like to share some folder also, but Mesh limits sharing up to 9 persons only. I want it more like skydrive, an ability to share all public, or friends only, etc.

Since you are referring to Windows Live Mesh, not Live Mesh - www.mesh.com, you are in the wrong forum.

For discussion of the new Windows Live Mesh (formerly Sync), (as well as the released Live Sync version) go here:

http://windowslivehelp.com/forums.aspx?productid=24

-steve

~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Friday, November 19, 2010 9:58 AM
  • not the most elegant solution, but easier than messing with registry:

hit start
    type 'msconfig' in search bar (vista) or in click on run and type msconfig for xp
    hit enter, then click the startup tab in the dialog
    uncheck live mesh and whatever else you like

That would be good. If Mesh didn't re register itself again when it restarts.
    Sunday, April 10, 2011 12:47 PM
  • That would be good. If Mesh didn't re register itself again when it restarts.

For discussion of the new Windows Live Mesh (formerly Sync) go here: http://windowslivehelp.com/forums.aspx?productid=24

-steve

~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Monday, April 11, 2011 12:30 PM