Missing new hard disk in WHS...?? not visible in WHS Disk Management RRS feed

• Question

• Ive just moved my disks about, and done a new install.... I had 3 disks installed during setup.. Primary, 500gb and 2x 750gb for the pool...

What I wanted to do is then add a 1.5tb disk split into 2 partitions, a 500gb for backups, and the remainder was non pool stoarge for media...

No matter how I partition it (logical/primary, 2 partitions or 1 large partition), format the disk, or even leave it unformatted, it refuses to show up in WHS Disk Management/Server Storage...

Any ideas???
    DrSoton
    Tuesday, February 24, 2009 8:29 PM

Answers

• Hi,
    if a disk is not shown up in the console, you can try to reinitialize the drive as described in this FAQ.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Wednesday, February 25, 2009 8:07 AM
  •  In some cases such disks could be detected and added successfully via console after recreating the Master Boot Record (MBR) and deleting old volumes on it.
    (You should not try this with a disk, which has known bad sectors.)
    To do this, attach the disk to a system (can be a client PC or Windows Home Server), open a command prompt and enter following commands:
    diskpart
    list disk
    Check the output of this command carefully and try to figure out, which disk is the disk, which could not be added. If you are not sure (this can happen especially on a server with multiple disks), you may wish to perform this action on a client PC with only one normal disk to avoid an erratic identification.
    select disk x
    Replace the x with the number of the volume, which represents the disk you wish to reinitialize.
    Stop here, if you are not fully sure, since the next command will wipe all data from that disk!
    clean
    exit

That did the trick!!!!

Thanks

DrSoton
    • Marked as answer by DrSoton Wednesday, February 25, 2009 5:31 PM
    Wednesday, February 25, 2009 5:24 PM

All replies

• You can't do what you're trying to do. You can only add whole disks and any disk added to the pool will be formatted. You can, however, add the whole 1.5T disk and then remove one of the old 750G disks and then add that disk as a backup disk.
    "He who dares not offend cannot be honest." -- Thomas Paine
    Tuesday, February 24, 2009 10:18 PM
  • DrSoton said:

Ive just moved my disks about, and done a new install.... I had 3 disks installed during setup.. Primary, 500gb and 2x 750gb for the pool...

What I wanted to do is then add a 1.5tb disk split into 2 partitions, a 500gb for backups, and the remainder was non pool stoarge for media...

No matter how I partition it (logical/primary, 2 partitions or 1 large partition), format the disk, or even leave it unformatted, it refuses to show up in WHS Disk Management/Server Storage...

Any ideas???

DrSoton

Did you try connecting the drive to a client PC and removing all of the partitions?
    Wednesday, February 25, 2009 5:11 AM
  • Hi,
    if a disk is not shown up in the console, you can try to reinitialize the drive as described in this FAQ.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Wednesday, February 25, 2009 8:07 AM
  • Strangley, I did  manage to do this before I moved my disks about...

I had the 1.5tb as primary, 2x 750gb in the pool.. and a 500gb backup disk that I had partitioned with 350gb of this disk added as a backup, and the remaining space was used as a normal partition which I installed some VMWare workstations on.. it was working fine, I just cant seem to do the same with the 1.5tb...

I will check out the other suggesitons when I get home from work...  thanks

Ive not tried hooking it up to anothe rpc, but Ive tried adding and removing partitions in windos disk manager, which is the same mehtod I use to partition the 500gb drive....

DrSoton
    Wednesday, February 25, 2009 8:30 AM
  • I believe this works if the partitions are on the disk before you add it as a backup disk, and you choose not to format the disk with you add it. In that case, I think (but can't confirm; too many miles between me and my server) that your server will simply use the first partition on the disk as the backup partition, assuming it's formatted with NTFS.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, February 25, 2009 3:02 PM
  • Make sure your bios supports drives that big too...
    "He who dares not offend cannot be honest." -- Thomas Paine
    Wednesday, February 25, 2009 3:03 PM
  •  In some cases such disks could be detected and added successfully via console after recreating the Master Boot Record (MBR) and deleting old volumes on it.
    (You should not try this with a disk, which has known bad sectors.)
    To do this, attach the disk to a system (can be a client PC or Windows Home Server), open a command prompt and enter following commands:
    diskpart
    list disk
    Check the output of this command carefully and try to figure out, which disk is the disk, which could not be added. If you are not sure (this can happen especially on a server with multiple disks), you may wish to perform this action on a client PC with only one normal disk to avoid an erratic identification.
    select disk x
    Replace the x with the number of the volume, which represents the disk you wish to reinitialize.
    Stop here, if you are not fully sure, since the next command will wipe all data from that disk!
    clean
    exit

That did the trick!!!!

Thanks

DrSoton
    • Marked as answer by DrSoton Wednesday, February 25, 2009 5:31 PM
    Wednesday, February 25, 2009 5:24 PM