Windows Search 4.0 and WHS RRS feed

• Question

• When I remote into my WHS and run Windows update, Windows Search 4.0 for Windows Server 2003 (KB 940157) appears as an optional software update. Has anyone installed this and what have been your results? How long have you had it running? I've installed the Windows Search 4.0 on my XP and Vista client machines, and am wondering about updating WHS.

Thanks.
    Saturday, November 15, 2008 4:39 AM

Answers

• There is no need to install optional updates on your server, unless you've also installed something else that uses that optional update. In the case of desktop search, it's used by the Remote Access web site and searches from client computers, and is properly configured for that use already. So I wouldn't advise installing version 4.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Saturday, November 15, 2008 4:51 AM

All replies

• There is no need to install optional updates on your server, unless you've also installed something else that uses that optional update. In the case of desktop search, it's used by the Remote Access web site and searches from client computers, and is properly configured for that use already. So I wouldn't advise installing version 4.
    Saturday, November 15, 2008 4:51 AM
  • Thanks for  your advice!

I'll hold off then.

Saturday, November 15, 2008 5:35 AM
  • Ken Warren said:

...and is properly configured for that use already. So I wouldn't advise installing version 4.

Are you sure about this? I was under the impression that in order to use the (indexed, high speed) search from a Vista client, both client and server need the same version of Windows Search. Also see the blog post http://blogs.technet.com/homeserver/archive/2008/11/06/full-text-search-and-automatic-indexing.aspx about this.

I have installed the Search 4 update on WHS, and it works without troubles.

Regards, Martin
    Saturday, November 15, 2008 10:27 AM
  • I am certain that you don't need to align the versions of search. On my servers, where it's easy to determine what version I have installed (look in Add or Remove Programs) I can see that they have 3.01 installed. On my Vista clients (where it's built in to the operating system and doesn't show up anywhere) I have one client with a base Vista Ultimate installation with what should be the same version based on file versions (indexer et al dated/versioned from late 2006), and a Vista Ultimate SP1 client with files dated/versioned from this year. Desktop Search works on both, and interfaces successfully with Desktop Search on the server.

Will it cause problems on your server? Honestly, probably not. But it's an optional update, which means the only way to install it is to log directly in to your server with Remote Desktop or a physically connected keyboard, video, and mouse. These are "unsupported" access methods, and should only be used if you're willing to accept the consequences should your enthusiasm get the better of your knowledge.

Saturday, November 15, 2008 1:58 PM
  • I'd love to verify this, but I have Search 4 all over the place, including all my XP clients. Vista SP1 does not contain Search 4, by the way: It needs to be installed as an optional update.  It shows up under "Installed Updates" as "Windows Search 4.0"
    Regards, Martin
    Saturday, November 15, 2008 4:15 PM
  • You are correct that it shows up in Installed Updates. I guess I applied it separately in the past 2 days, because that's how long I've had that laptop. :)

The versions in the registry for the three machines in question:

Vista with SP1: 04.00.6001.16503
    Vista without SP1 (I really ought to get around to that...): 03.00.6000.16386
    Windows Home Server: 03.01.6000.72

Search works fine everywhere.

Saturday, November 15, 2008 6:29 PM
  • Well, for my experience, it worth not much. Every time I use it it doesn't find anything. If I want to search a file, I use the former search tool (with the animated dog...), and it finds what I want. May be I'm doing something wrong but for now, it's completely useless...

Klode
    Sunday, November 16, 2008 3:12 AM