how to sync my entire Docs & Settings tree (SyncToy 2.1; XP SP3) RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, all --

I am trying to use SyncToy 2.1 to sync my entire C:\Documents & Settings\david tree to a flash drive.  I unfortunately have stuff that lands under Application Data and Local Settings, so I can't easily go with just a few high-level directories like My Docs, Start Menu, and Faves.  The problem, though, is that many files are in use and so the sync fails.

How are you getting around the problem of open files to accomplish essentially a full backup of a profile?  Should I be going about this another way?

TIA & HAND

:-D

--

David T-G

see http://justpickone.org/davidtg/email/

Tuesday, June 8, 2010 8:21 PM

All replies

• Hi david,

I think it is a good choice to choose SyncToy especially V2.1. But I do not think it is a good way for your scenario. As we all know, syncing data is just a process that compare file on two sides and copy file from one side to the other. So if each folder(left or right) is opened or used, it could not get in process with SyncToy. Simply speaking, comparing and copy a unfix file is dangerous because we could not know the changes in the next second.

So just make a daily or weekly sync before closing any opened files in that folder or stop nay using of files in that folder.

Thanks,

Danish

Saturday, June 12, 2010 8:24 AM