none
Retest pre using IE9 RRS feed

• Question

• This is a reprise of
    prompted by
     I didn't record where I captured the original pre examples.
    So, I suppose I must have switched to HTML mode to do the first paste:

maxling

it is with a   heart
        heavy

that i admit loss of a feline
      so   loved

a friend lost to the
      unknown
            (night)

~cdr 11dec07

I am seeing that quirky outline box around the pasted text (in place of the pre tags).   So far the text is holding its format.   I had to add a br after the paste in order to continue editing.
    And here is the other one:

<samp>You are in an open field west of a big white house with a boarded
    front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.

></samp> <kbd>open mailbox</kbd>

<samp>Opening the mailbox reveals:
    A leaflet.

></samp>

Same box.   Oh.  The samp and kbd tags were interpreted?  I wonder if I actually pasted the source as text before?  Anyway, the lines are definitely being retained which is the main point of this retest.
    Edit + HTML of the original shows that this was the first line:
    <pre>&lt;samp&gt;You are in an open field west of a big white house with a boarded
    HTML of the above shows that this time it is
    <pre><samp>You are in an open field west of a big white house with a boarded
    I suspect the forum editor has changed to accept user added samp tags.
    I think we found that the Insert code button was doing that too.   Here's the last sample again via the Insert Code Block button:
    front door.

A leaflet.

></samp></pre>

Fortunately, it was still selected in the tab I had opened for it.   This time I specified type: HTML.  In the Preview pane the tags had colors.  Here in the Edit frame they don't but the whole samp block has the pre tag box outline, so I suspect if I go into HTML source mode again I will find new encapsulating pre tags and the pasted ones are now encoded:

<pre lang="x-html">&lt;pre&gt;&lt;samp&gt;You are in an open field west of a big white house with a boarded

QED.

Now to find out how much of this stuff gets messed up by Submit.  (Fingers and toes crossed.)   ; }

Hmm...  I can already see some unexpected changes in the first part.   Some blank lines are missing.   They were there originally but now aren't.  I think I may have used the Update button when I was getting a sample via the HTML button.   The pre stuff is still intact.   WordPad makes it look as if those lines are at least paragraphs.   Well, since I have a copy in WordPad I'm going to try to use the HTML button again to inspect what is really there...  DIV.  Things which should be paragraphs and things which should be br have been replaced by DIV.   Why?  This is not IE9.  I saw this happening in IE8 with WLMail...

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/hi-IN/comsandbox/thread/57a0ab79-c3bb-49a5-9b01-4b57995164b4

I'm going to Submit before anything gets lost.

Robert
    ---

Edit:  Something happened which lost formatting, probably because of this inexplicable DIV "feechur".   Instead of trying to repair it I'll make a copy...
    Tuesday, August 2, 2011 3:40 PM

All replies

• This is a reprise of

prompted by

I didn't record where I captured the original pre examples.

So, I suppose I must have switched to HTML mode to do the first paste:
     maxling

it is with a heart
     heavy

that i admit loss of a feline
     so loved

a friend lost to the
     unknown
     (night)

~cdr 11dec07

I am seeing that quirky outline box around the pasted text (in place of the pre tags). So far the text is holding its format. I had to add a br after the paste in order to continue editing.

And here is the other one:
    <samp>You are in an open field west of a big white house with a boarded
    front door.

A leaflet.

></samp>

Same box. Oh. The samp and kbd tags were interpreted? I wonder if I actually pasted the source as text before? Anyway, the lines are definitely being retained which is the main point of this retest.

Edit + HTML of the original shows that this was the first line:

<pre>&lt;samp&gt;You are in an open field west of a big white house with a boarded

I suspect the forum editor has changed to accept user added samp tags.

I think we found that the Insert code button was doing that too. Here's the last sample again via the Insert Code Block button:

front door.

A leaflet.

></samp></pre>

Fortunately, it was still selected in the tab I had opened for it. This time I specified type: HTML. In the Preview pane the tags had colors. Here in the Edit frame they don't but the whole samp block has the pre tag box outline, so I suspect if I go into HTML source mode again I will find new encapsulating pre tags and the pasted ones are now encoded:

<pre lang="x-html">&lt;pre&gt;&lt;samp&gt;You are in an open field west of a big white house with a boarded

QED.

Now to find out how much of this stuff gets messed up by Submit. (Fingers and toes crossed.) ; }

Hmm... I can already see some unexpected changes in the first part. Some blank lines are missing. They were there originally but now aren't. I think I may have used the Update button when I was getting a sample via the HTML button. The pre stuff is still intact. WordPad makes it look as if those lines are at least paragraphs. Well, since I have a copy in WordPad I'm going to try to use the HTML button again to inspect what is really there... DIV. Things which should be paragraphs and things which should be br have been replaced by DIV. Why? This is not IE9. I saw this happening in IE8 with WLMail...

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/hi-IN/comsandbox/thread/57a0ab79-c3bb-49a5-9b01-4b57995164b4

I'm going to Submit before anything gets lost.

Robert
    ---

Edit: Something happened which lost formatting, probably because of this inexplicable DIV "feechur". Instead of trying to repair it I'll make a copy...

And I have inserted newlines (via Shift-Enter) to try to make it as readable as it once was.   There is a line above which shows that I was using the HTML editor.  

I think I might have been scared to think what using Cancel might have done and used Update to get out of that HTML source edit.  So, that's the thing to test next about this DIV business.

Edit:  Post Edit.  More grief, as suspected.   Curiously the two br that I manually inserted have worked.  I'm going to leave it.   This proves that the main culprit is the HTML edit source feature and the post edit Submit procedure.

---

Tuesday, August 2, 2011 3:54 PM