Feature Request - Live Writer for Windows Mobile and Photo Album insert RRS feed

• General discussion

• 1)  Would be great to see Live Writer work on a Windows Mobile device.   I know you can post through mobile.live.com - however, you can't put blog information around a picture - only post the picture to an album, then tell people in your blog posting how to get to the picture your describing in your posting (and then edit it when you get back to a computer

2)  Would love to be able to link a photo album slideshow mini-view WITHIN a blog posting (much like the "Photos" module in my spaces.live.com website.   I often have more of a description around a series of photos (say 10 or 20) and when you try to insert each picture in and put a description around it -- it makes a really long blog post :)

3)  How about descriptions for pictures in the photo galleries - not just descriptions - but I guess that's a Windows Spaces beta request - not a live writer request :)
    Friday, June 20, 2008 6:32 PM

All replies

• Hi Chad,

1) A mobile version of Writer would definitely be great, and it's on our backlog of requests. To help us understand more about this scenario, would you mind outlining or describing situations where you would want to create a blog post using your mobile device? Would it generally be for cases where you don't have access to a computer but want to post a quick update to your blog, or you took an interesting picture and want to post it up and blog a few lines, or...?

2) Thanks for the suggestion!

3) I'm not too clear on what you mean by descriptions. Spaces lets you give each photo a description that is displayed under the photo when you view it but I'm guessing that's not what you mean. Do you mean like a photo caption in the blog post, or be able to edit the photo description when you upload the photo through Writer?

Thanks for your feedback!

Flora
    Wednesday, June 25, 2008 4:47 PM
  • Hi -

I'm not sure what Chad wants, but I would be interested in the mobile WLW for Win Mobile 6. I can't imagine writing a "full length" post with it, but would be nice for shorter entries (~250 words or less, maybe a pic or two from the camera on the phone), or even updates/corrections to previous entries.

Scott
    Monday, June 30, 2008 11:34 PM
  • Hi Flora

for #1, I travel alot for work (often when I'm sitting on the tarmac waiting to take off), I have time to sit down and jot together thoughts and write about things I've been thinking, that's where I was primarily thinking of being able to write blog posts about my travel and usually have pictures I've loaded onto my mobile phone (I have a 4 gig micro SD card) that I've copied my photos onto.  With the XV6800 and builtin wireless - it's quick to upload my larger posts.  Most recently I was on the beach in Florida and came across some turtle nests - I know my Mom is a big fan of nature, so I snapped some photos and uploaded them using the Picture viewer on my xv6800 (using my data plan).  The only problem is - they end up in my "mobile photos" folder - with no way of describing what the lump of sand I just took a picture of actually was.  My mom's also not the most computer savy person, so if i post the picture into my blog with a description, she can understand that - but emailing her directions on how to click through the 30+ photo albums I have on my spaces.live.com page or trying to find the link to email her is a pain - so it'd just be easier if I can create a quick post using live writer with embedded images - and then tell it to publish.  I really don't want to have to fire up my laptop, copy the images off my phone onto my laptop, then type my blog entry, then publish it...seems like a lot of steps for something simple ~smile.

Descriptions in photo - I haven't figure out how to add a description to the photos displayed in my photo albums - I can add "comments", but it's not a comment that I make on my own photos - that seems like something another person would use.  I would like to be able to put a description of the photo by the picture and then would expect others to use the commends section.

BTW - I love the product - I've never been a big blog poster on any other sites and don't use myspace.com, facebook, blogger, etc....you hooked me in with Windows Live Photo Gallery to post my photos; then added in my video posting to videos.msn.com -- and now suddenly I'm typing blogs...!

Tuesday, July 1, 2008 2:22 AM
  • With regard to point two, you might want to try my Live Spaces Photo Album plugin (http://gallery.live.com/liveItemDetail.aspx?li=7bd5041a-8a8b-47a0-ab8a-bd8f649ff3d6&bt=9&pl=8). You can choose your blog, then your album, then choose the "insert album" option to actually embed the slideshow into your blog entry. I believe this sounds like what you're asking for.
    SL - Windows Live Platform MVP
    Wednesday, July 2, 2008 6:44 AM
  • Flora,  related to Chad's mobile writer request and your use case request:

Inspiration comes in strange places and it is more likely that the mobile will be with you than the laptop!!!! It could be on a train returning from a conference or a night out, sitting at the airport etc etc. With the power and screen size of currrent WM devices there is a lot you can do, they are almost the Ultra Ultra laptop (I have the TYTN II/MDA Vario III).  As with other posts I do not see this as requiring the same full rich client but as a minimum I would be looking for:

1. Ability to view and edit existing (even if some functionality has to be limited)

2. Ability to post basic posts including text and images (could be photos or other graphics e.g. image of the product you discussing)

3. Ability to save to drafts that you could then edit in the full client later,  would  need some sort of sync to get from the mobile to the PC (capture the core structure of the post as the thoughts are flowing and embelish with the full client later)

4. Would need some sort of preview to see how the "reduced functionality" of the mobile client affects the end product

http://www.customrm.com ¦ http://softwareplusservices.spaces.live.com
    Tuesday, July 22, 2008 5:20 PM
  • That's not bad, but the current "embed" stuff uses a third part plugin that a lot of people don't have, so it's next to useless.

Sunday, August 10, 2008 9:25 PM
  • Also a verson for the iphone/ipod touch would be great to, Not everyone who uses those devices are full blown mac users. If you start building applications for the app store you'll do better in the long run, as well as make the live suite more well known.
    Monday, August 11, 2008 1:02 AM
  • Add me to the votes for a windows mobile version of live writer.  With WM6.5 imminent, WM7 on the horizon and MS clearly starting to take the consumer mobile phone platform seriously, pushing out a comprehensive "Live" suite of applications would seem like an absolute basic requirement if MS are really serious about encouraging their PC client base to adopt or even embrace Windows on their mobile phone.

Just one thing though, Microsoft.  Please take the opportunity to raise the overal quality of WinMo apps.  Consensus of opinion is that, compared to iPhone apps at least, WinMo apps look like seven shades of ____.  I know MS don't make the all those horrible looking apps, but they do have kind of a track record when it comes to releasing half-arsed software, that has so much potential but looks and feels like it was put together by a bunch of twelve year olds.  I pray to god that Live Mesh doesn't suffer the same fate!
    Tuesday, May 19, 2009 9:31 PM