Not syncing on all computers RRS feed

• Question

• hello,

My mesh includes my home pc with vista, my work pc with XP, and my laptop with xp. My home pc with vista however, does not sync from the other computers. When i change files on the home pc these files are synced with my live desktop and other pcs in the mesh but when I make changes on my office pc my home pc won't sync and update the files. I've tried reinstalling mesh but still doesn't work.

I would greatly appreciate any help as I think that live mesh is an incredible tool!
    Sunday, February 21, 2010 8:43 PM

Answers

• hi Trevor,

Thanks for this link. I should be fine as I don't move already synced folders. I move the shortcuts first and then make sure when I right click to sync it that the address shows My Documents.

John

Don't move the offered shortcuts from the desktop.

Double clicking when it is faded light blue folder, brings you to a windows titled:

Synchronize folder

The text at the top of the window says "Synchronize folder with this computer."

The name cannot be changed/

The location is the path to your desktop folder.

Next to this is browse.

At the bottom of the Window is OK and Cancel.

OK accepts the default offered location - your desktop.

If you click OK, it will become a darker blue folder (still light blue) and it is now fixed to your desktop.

If you click Browse, you can navigate to a folder of your choosing.

Once you have reached that folder, click OK and accept the warning about merging with an existing folder and potential for conflicts.

What is the current state of your sync between devices?
    -steve

~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Monday, March 1, 2010 3:49 PM

All replies

• Are there firewall and/or proxy issues with your office PC?  If you make changes on your office PC, do those changes propagate to the Live Desktop and your laptop (when it is connected at home)?

Trevor
    Monday, February 22, 2010 5:46 AM
  • When you reinstalled Live Mesh, did you also remove the device from the Mesh first via the Live Desktop?
    -steve
    ~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Monday, February 22, 2010 2:19 PM
  • hi Trevor,

I don't believe that there are firewall or proxy issues with my office PC because It works perfectly in Live Mesh. The changes I make in my office appear on the Live Desktop and on the laptop. The only path where it doesn't work is from the Live Desktop and other PCs in my mesh to my home PC.

Thanks
    Monday, February 22, 2010 7:43 PM
  • hello Stephen,

I don't believe that I removed the device first via the Live Desktop although I can't recall for certain. I believe that I removed the mesh program from my home PC first. To confirm, you are suggesting that i first remove the problem PC (my home PC with vista) from the Mesh first via the Live desktop, then uninstall the program on that PC--correct? Is there anything that I should look for when re-installing?

Thanks,
    John

Monday, February 22, 2010 7:49 PM
  • Yes, that's what I suggest.
    When sync fails to work as expected. sometimes a reinstall, which you did, works.
    Sometimes removing the device from the Mesh and then reinstalling allows things to be reset.
    As I understand it, if you change anything on the home PC that is having the issue those changes are reflected throughout the Mesh, but any changes made anywhere else are not reflected on the home PC. Correct?
    -steve
    Monday, February 22, 2010 8:30 PM
  • Ok, great, I will try your suggestion.
    And yes, your understanding of the problem is correct.

Thanks again!
    Monday, February 22, 2010 9:43 PM
  • hi Steve,

I just recalled one more issue that may be related. The mesh folders on my home PC (the problematic one) would not sync from my My Documents folder when I moved them there. I received an error message when I selected them to sync. As a result, I created a folder on my desktop to keep my mesh folders in, which didn't produce an error message although is less convenient.

My question is, is there a way to also have my mesh folders in My Documents? And is it ok to move the folders from my desktop (where the shortcuts from my Live Mesh are initially created) to other folders?

Thanks again,
    John
    Tuesday, February 23, 2010 2:12 PM
  • You can add folders within your My Documents folder to your Mesh as Mesh folders *as long as you are not also syncing the entire Documents folder* as a Mesh folder. Nested folders in Mesh (Mesh inside Mesh) are not supported.

In Vista, are you browsing to \Users\%Login name%\Documents? That should wrok fine - that is, a folder within Documents as the end point for the sync.
    -steve
    Tuesday, February 23, 2010 6:10 PM
  • Note also that you cannot just move an already synced folder from one place to another (by drag and drop or whatever).  For advice on how to do this see this thread:

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/LiveMesh/thread/595c1b4d-2852-4657-a73f-881c3548810c

Trevor
    Tuesday, February 23, 2010 11:35 PM
  • Well, re-installing like you suggested worked initially but only for one day. Then the second day I synced more folders using the shortcuts that automatically appear from the Live Desktop, which I had moved into My Documents. When I checked Live Mesh last night on my home PC I could see in the notifier that there it had not synced--there wasn't any new News showing the changes I made during the day at work. However, when I checked my Live Desktop the changes were there. I guess I could try to reinstall again but the syncing seems to stop at some point. Any thoughts?
    Friday, February 26, 2010 1:39 PM
  • hi Trevor,

Thanks for this link. I should be fine as I don't move already synced folders. I move the shortcuts first and then make sure when I right click to sync it that the address shows My Documents.

John

Friday, February 26, 2010 1:41 PM
  • hi Trevor,

John

Don't move the offered shortcuts from the desktop.

Double clicking when it is faded light blue folder, brings you to a windows titled:

Synchronize folder

The text at the top of the window says "Synchronize folder with this computer."

The name cannot be changed/

The location is the path to your desktop folder.

Next to this is browse.

At the bottom of the Window is OK and Cancel.

OK accepts the default offered location - your desktop.

If you click OK, it will become a darker blue folder (still light blue) and it is now fixed to your desktop.

If you click Browse, you can navigate to a folder of your choosing.

Once you have reached that folder, click OK and accept the warning about merging with an existing folder and potential for conflicts.

What is the current state of your sync between devices?
    -steve

Monday, March 1, 2010 3:49 PM