none
Getting round the critical upgrade warning RRS feed

• Question

• In the installation instructions it is stated to be "critical" that full synchronisation be performed before and after upgrading in order to avoid data loss.  Rather than this route is there any way to remove every trace (including the metadata) of Synctoy 1.4 before installing version 2.0 which might do away with this full synchronisation requirement?

Friday, September 26, 2008 10:59 PM

Answers

• That is fine - when we say complete synchronization we just meant completely synchronized according to whatever options were selected for your folder pair ( it is fine that you have some files deselected). You should just upgrade to 2.0.

If you absolutely want everything gone and want to do it manually - you are going to have to delete each folder pair ( in 1.4) and then uninstalled using ControlPanel->Add/Remove Pragrams. After that you can install SyncToy 2.0

Thanks

Deepa

Tuesday, September 30, 2008 12:42 AM

All replies

• When you upgrade from 1.4 t0 2.0 - we will remove all traces of the metadata. We recommend a complete sync so that data on both sides reflect correctly whatever synchronization option had been selected. Is there is a reason you cannot do a complete synchronization?

Thanks
    Deepa

Sunday, September 28, 2008 5:20 PM
  • Dear Deepa

This is my problem.  I have a number of synchronisation pairs covering 3 networked machines.  Some of these pairs have files deselected for synchronisation (for good reasons).  The way I see things I cannot simply upgrade .... I would prefer to get rid of every trace of 1.4 first and then do a fresh installation of 2.0.  Is this not possible?

Thanks,

Greg Hallam

Sunday, September 28, 2008 8:19 PM
  • That is fine - when we say complete synchronization we just meant completely synchronized according to whatever options were selected for your folder pair ( it is fine that you have some files deselected). You should just upgrade to 2.0.

If you absolutely want everything gone and want to do it manually - you are going to have to delete each folder pair ( in 1.4) and then uninstalled using ControlPanel->Add/Remove Pragrams. After that you can install SyncToy 2.0

Thanks

Deepa

Tuesday, September 30, 2008 12:26 AM

Thanks

Deepa

Tuesday, September 30, 2008 12:42 AM