power settings with an ex470 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all, 

I have a question.  First off I am very new to using a server, this is our first attempt at using one with our home based business.  When using remote access to move around in the server, I discovered the power settings in the control panel.  I was wondering if setting the hard drives to power down after a few hours would work in the HP ex470.  Will they restart when the server is called on??  A delay for the drives to come up wouldn't be a problem for us, I just hate to have them spinning away when it isn't used constantly, sometimes it may not be used for a few days at a time.

Seems like the drives would last longer, and it wouldn't use as much power, but would be available if needed.  Has anyone tried this??  Opinions are welcome.

Bob
    Wednesday, November 26, 2008 3:34 AM

Answers

• Hi Bob,
    any interaction with the system outside of the Windows Home Server console is unsupported - because you can cause damage, if you do changes, which are not interacting well with the Windows Home Server core components.
    These components expect a certain behavior of the system - and if the system is altered, this may cause difficulties up to data loss.

Especially the mentioned setting gives a very good example of what could happen:
    • Windows Home Server components query the drives for action and expect quick response.
    • Drive was sleeping, system wakes it up.
    • While drive is still waking up, Windows Home Server core becomes inpatient due to expected response time not hold and alerts you, that there is an unhealthy drive, you may run into file conflicts and so on - even if the hardware behind is fine.
    Although this scenario is speculative, it could explain some of the troubles with external USB drives other WHS users had in the past.

So I would not recommend to play on this setting.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Wednesday, November 26, 2008 9:57 AM