Disable Call Logging from OCS? RRS feed

• Question

• For e-discovery purposes, we're looking for a way to totally disable Call Logging from OCS.

As it stands, we have it disabled on the client-side by policy. But the data must also be either deleted or never logged on the server. If someone with an allowed policy puts a check mark in the MOC / Options / Personal / "Save my call logs in the Outlook Conversation History folder," then it somehow autopopulates that folder with historic logs.

I cannot find anywhere on OCS where I can delete or disable the logging of all calls.

On OCS: From Forest / Properites / Global; Archiving is disabled. No Call Detail records are enabled.
    From the server / Properties / Front End Properties; Archiving is disabled.

Does anyone know of a way to do this? Or to set it to expire after 24 hours, or so?
    Thursday, October 15, 2009 7:27 PM

Answers

• There are two entirely separate kinds of 'call logging' which I think you may be confusing a bit.

There's 'Archiving', which occurs server-side, and stores the messages in a database. The options you mention in OCS affect the behavior of that functionality.
    There's also 'Conversation History', which occurs client side (Communicator passes the messages to Outlook, which saves them in the Conversation History folder). That is controlled by the options in MOC.

Sounds like you have not deployed Archiving, so you need only deal with conversation history. You need to use Group Policy to lock down the behavior of individual client settings so your users cannot modify it. I've never done this personally, but you can see this page & the docs it links to for details: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb963959.aspx
    • Marked as answer by kcross888 Wednesday, October 21, 2009 5:35 PM
    Thursday, October 15, 2009 8:39 PM

All replies

• There are two entirely separate kinds of 'call logging' which I think you may be confusing a bit.

There's 'Archiving', which occurs server-side, and stores the messages in a database. The options you mention in OCS affect the behavior of that functionality.
    There's also 'Conversation History', which occurs client side (Communicator passes the messages to Outlook, which saves them in the Conversation History folder). That is controlled by the options in MOC.

Sounds like you have not deployed Archiving, so you need only deal with conversation history. You need to use Group Policy to lock down the behavior of individual client settings so your users cannot modify it. I've never done this personally, but you can see this page & the docs it links to for details: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb963959.aspx
    • Marked as answer by kcross888 Wednesday, October 21, 2009 5:35 PM
    Thursday, October 15, 2009 8:39 PM
  • I believe I've disabled the relevant entries by policy.

Are you saying that the historical data that autopopulates that folder when a user checks that box (if allowed to by policy) comes from the client? That the MOC is actually recording that data on the users PC all along, just not displaying it until that box is checked?

I suppose there's an easy way to test this... Enable it with a user who's used Communicator, but on a PC that he's never used before...
    Thursday, October 15, 2009 8:46 PM
  • Correct, conversation hisory is a function of the client rather than the server.  To ensure that no record of calls exists you want to disable the ability to save calls logs (which it sounds like you've already done) and ensure that you never enable Monitoring, CDR, or Archiving.
    Mike Stacy | Evangelyze Communications | http://www.evangelyze.net/cs/blogs/mike
    Thursday, October 15, 2009 10:13 PM
  • To clarify, here's what I believe the behavior to be.

If user A has "Save my call logs in the Outlook Conversation History folder" selected while they are having a conversation, MOC will keep a copy of the conversation while it is going on, then upload it to the Exchange folder via outlook at the end.

However if 'save my call logs in the converstaion history folder" is turned off, this won't happen. Nor (I believe) will MOC keep a copy of older conversations and add them to the history folder if the option is enabled after the conversation finishes.

Group policy can be used to prevent users from selecting 'save my call logs'.

The option in the OCS MMC only affects server-side archiving. It does not change group policy, you need to change that separately.

Hope that helps.

Thursday, October 15, 2009 10:30 PM
  • Yes, all of this information has been correct and helpful.

Unfortunately, I now find that the "missed call" notification we get in Outlook no longer works (apparently it is a function of the MOC logging).

So... My new question is - can I set up a "retention" policy on the MOC logs? We want this feature, but we do not want MOC keeping logs around for too long.
    Wednesday, October 21, 2009 5:30 PM
  • Yes, you can use Managed Folders in Exchange 2007 to set retention limits per folder.
    Mike Stacy | Evangelyze Communications | http://www.evangelyze.net/cs/blogs/mike
    Wednesday, October 21, 2009 5:55 PM
  • I know this is terribly confusing because I'm having a hard to explaining myself. I apologize.

We don't care about the retention of items within the Exchange mailboxes. We already have that taken care of.

What I'm tasked with is changing the retention of the data (metadata, if you will) that MOC stores.

My assumption is that MOC stores data in a database, and when you check that box, it copies the data to Exchange. But it's still in a database somewhere. I base this on the fact that when you first "check" that history box, it will autopopulate Exchange with everything you've done since you installed MOC. Not just for that session (that is, it wasn't just stored in RAM. It was actually somewhere).

Wednesday, October 21, 2009 6:30 PM