none
Can I use ADO.Net Sync Services from a windows ce 5 device? RRS feed

• Question

• I'm replacing a merge replication solution with ADO.Net Sync Services. Everything works fine with Windows Mobile clients but I can't get it to work on a windows ce device.

Can anyone tell me if it is even possible and how to achieve it?

Wednesday, December 29, 2010 4:58 PM

Answers

• No problem with web service. As soon as I add the Microsoft.Synchronization reference to the project I can't deploy it to the device.

The device ships with windows CE 5 but had to install CF 2.0 SP2. Checked the Synchronization Services installation on the device and everything looks ok.

Friday, December 31, 2010 9:50 AM

All replies

• Are you using Sync Framework 1.0 for device? This link has the supported device types.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?familyid=75FEF59F-1B5E-49BC-A21A-9EF4F34DE6FC&displaylang=en 

• Windows Mobile 5.0 and 6.0
    • Windows CE 5.0 and 6.0

What is the problem you saw if that meets the requirement?

Wednesday, December 29, 2010 6:28 PM
    Answerer
  • I get a "Referenced package not found." error when I try to deploy to a windows ce device with cf2.0, sql server compact 3.5 and ado.net sync services 1.0.

Thursday, December 30, 2010 10:20 AM
  • Just want to check if you have following the install instrutions:

Instructions

Download and run SyncServices.MSI. The Synchronization Services runtime binaries and cabs will be installed under %Programfiles%\Microsoft Synchronization Services\ADO.NET\v1.0\Devices.

Install the following products if they are not already installed:
    • Synchronization Services for ADO.NET 1.0 x86 (released with both SQL Server Compact 3.5 and Visual Studio 2008) must be installed on the database server or middle-tier server. It is required for server components, such as Server Synchronization Provider.
    • SQL Server Compact 3.5 SP1 must be installed on the device.
    Please use http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowForum.aspx?ForumID=1225&SiteID=1 for feedback and communication

Are you using Sql server compact 3.5 sp1?

Thursday, December 30, 2010 6:29 PM
    Answerer
  • Using SQl server compact 3.5 sp2
    Thursday, December 30, 2010 6:35 PM
  • what type of Windows CE device are you using ? how far have you go with your deployment of the sync service application ? I guess this can be got from the OUTPUT window if you do this under the debugger.

thanks

Ynwen

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Thursday, December 30, 2010 7:02 PM
  • Testing with a Casio IT-600 data terminal but tried others with same result.

Here´s the Build output:

------ Build started: Project: CESyncClient, Configuration: Debug Any CPU ------

C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v3.5\Csc.exe /noconfig /nowarn:1701,1702 /nostdlib+ /errorreport:prompt /warn:4 /define:DEBUG;TRACE;WindowsCE /reference:"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Synchronization Services\ADO.NET\v1.0\Devices\Microsoft.Synchronization.Data.dll" /reference:"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Synchronization Services\ADO.NET\v1.0\Devices\Microsoft.Synchronization.Data.SqlServerCe.dll" /reference:"C:\Program Files\Microsoft SDKs\Microsoft Sync Framework\v1.0\Devices\runtime\armv4i\Microsoft.Synchronization.dll" /reference:"C:\Program Files\Microsoft.NET\SDK\CompactFramework\v2.0\WindowsCE\mscorlib.dll" /reference:"C:\Program Files\Microsoft.NET\SDK\CompactFramework\v2.0\WindowsCE\System.Data.dll" /reference:"C:\Program Files\Microsoft.NET\SDK\CompactFramework\v2.0\WindowsCE\System.dll" /reference:"C:\Program Files\Microsoft.NET\SDK\CompactFramework\v2.0\WindowsCE\System.Drawing.dll" /reference:"C:\Program Files\Microsoft.NET\SDK\CompactFramework\v2.0\WindowsCE\System.Web.Services.dll" /reference:"C:\Program Files\Microsoft.NET\SDK\CompactFramework\v2.0\WindowsCE\System.Windows.Forms.dll" /reference:"C:\Program Files\Microsoft.NET\SDK\CompactFramework\v2.0\WindowsCE\System.Xml.dll" /debug+ /debug:full /filealign:512 /optimize- /out:obj\Debug\CESyncClient.exe /resource:obj\Debug\CESyncClient.Form1.resources /resource:obj\Debug\CESyncClient.Properties.Resources.resources /target:winexe ClientSyncAgent.cs Form1.cs Form1.Designer.cs Program.cs Properties\AssemblyInfo.cs Properties\Resources.Designer.cs ProxyServerSyncProvider.cs ProxySyncService.cs SyncUtility.cs

Compile complete -- 0 errors, 0 warnings

CESyncClient -> C:\Development\RD\CESyncClient\CESyncClient\bin\Debug\CESyncClient.exe

------ Deploy started: Project: CESyncClient, Configuration: Debug Any CPU ------

Referenced package not found.

========== Build: 1 succeeded, 0 failed, 0 up-to-date, 0 skipped ==========

========== Deploy: 0 succeeded, 1 failed, 0 skipped ==========

Appreciate the effort.

Thanks,

Miguel

Thursday, December 30, 2010 7:19 PM
  • did you build the OS for this device or is this a shipping device ? sorry I am not familar with it. but from the stack it seems there are some network related components are missing. are you using WCF or the webservice for you Mid tier for sync ?  can you get a simple web service ( like hello world ) and see if you can get it from the device ?

thanks

Yunwen

Thursday, December 30, 2010 8:47 PM
  • No problem with web service. As soon as I add the Microsoft.Synchronization reference to the project I can't deploy it to the device.

The device ships with windows CE 5 but had to install CF 2.0 SP2. Checked the Synchronization Services installation on the device and everything looks ok.

Friday, December 31, 2010 9:50 AM
  • good to know it is working now. yes, the netcf 2.0 sp2 is requred as indicated in the download site.

thanks

Yunwen

Friday, December 31, 2010 6:18 PM