none
Live.com won't allow me to add them as an alias to my Gmail account

Question

• I have recently tried adding my Live email address as a "Send mail as" account in Gmail, however, it keeps coming up with Authentication failed. Please check your username/password. [Server response: 535 5.0.0 Authentication Failed code(535) ]. I was told on the Google thread I posted up yesterday to:

"Make sure you don't have to meet any additional security checks on the Live.com account - and if you use 2 step verification on that account, you will probably need a different password. 

You'll need to get this information from your other provider:
    • The SMTP server name (or POP server name if you're setting up Check Mail from Other Accounts)
    • The port number required to access it
    • The security setting required"

So my questions are:

1)  How do I see if I need to meet additional security checks (no notices are showing up when I log in. I have even tried changing my password)?

2) What are the SMTP details? Are they different to the default details that are automatically provided by Gmail (See below)?

The default information give to me are:

SMTP Server: smtp.live.com

Username: [Live.com account]

Password: [Live.com account password]

Port: Options of - 587; 465; 25

Connection: Options of - TSL; SSL

NOTE: In the past, I was able to send emails through Gmail as the exact same Live.com account as I'm trying to reconnect, but accidentally deleted it (instant regret!!). To further test what was happening, I decided to link my Gmail account to my Live.com (so I can send emails as my Gmail email address through my Live account) and that was successful with no problems at all!

• Moved by Just KarlModerator Monday, October 26, 2015 2:26 PM Looking for the correct forum.
    Sunday, October 25, 2015 2:42 AM

Answers

• Hello,

Please ask in the Outlook.com forum on Microsoft Community.

As the Microsoft Community is on a different platform, we cannot move the question for you.

Once there, click on Participate near the top of the screen, and select 'Ask a Question' or 'Start a Discussion'

Karl

When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer.
    My Blog: Unlock PowerShell
    My Book: Windows PowerShell 2.0 Bible
    My E-mail: -join('6D73646E5F6B61726C406F75746C6F6F6B2E636F6D'-split'(?<=\G.{2})'|%{if($_){[char][int]"0x$_"}})

Monday, October 26, 2015 2:26 PM

All replies

• Hello,

The TechNet Wiki Discussion Forum is a place for the TechNet Wiki Community to engage, question, organize, debate, help, influence and foster the TechNet Wiki content, platform and Community.

Please note that this forum exists to discuss TechNet Wiki as a technology/application.

As it's off-topic here, I am moving the question to the Where is the forum for... forum.

Karl

When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer.
    My E-mail: -join('6D73646E5F6B61726C406F75746C6F6F6B2E636F6D'-split'(?<=\G.{2})'|%{if($_){[char][int]"0x$_"}})

Monday, October 26, 2015 2:21 PM
  • Hello,

Please ask in the Outlook.com forum on Microsoft Community.

As the Microsoft Community is on a different platform, we cannot move the question for you.

Once there, click on Participate near the top of the screen, and select 'Ask a Question' or 'Start a Discussion'

Karl

Monday, October 26, 2015 2:26 PM