locked
Help, just did a reinstallation and no sure where to go from here! RRS feed

  • Question

  • I've got a major problem here in that I did a server re installation, I now see all my drives in My Computer with my shares spread out through them.  However, the shares that are set up by the reinstall are only the default ones (Videos, Software, Music, etc...) and there's nothing in them.  What does the system expect me to do?  Copy the data bit by bit over to the shared folders, is this how a re installation is supposed to go?  I also have a problem in that I don't have enough space on my OS drive to copy all the data from one of the other drives.  How is a reinstallation supposed to go and is my case typical?
    Wednesday, March 11, 2009 3:43 AM

Answers

  • Hi,
    the method you describe is the same as in the FAQ, which will not break the server. Only don't forget to copy really via the shortcut Shared folders on server and not to d:\shares.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    • Proposed as answer by kariya21Moderator Monday, March 16, 2009 12:34 AM
    • Marked as answer by SeveranceD Monday, March 16, 2009 12:42 AM
    Thursday, March 12, 2009 3:57 PM
    Moderator

All replies

  • SeveranceD said:

    I've got a major problem here in that I did a server re installation, I now see all my drives in My Computer with my shares spread out through them.  However, the shares that are set up by the reinstall are only the default ones (Videos, Software, Music, etc...) and there's nothing in them.  What does the system expect me to do?  Copy the data bit by bit over to the shared folders, is this how a re installation is supposed to go?

    No.  The data in your shares should be automatically integrated into your server.

    SeveranceD said:

    I also have a problem in that I don't have enough space on my OS drive to copy all the data from one of the other drives.  How is a reinstallation supposed to go and is my case typical?


    No, it's not typical.  Did you stop the reinstallation process at the end (the screen may look like it's frozen, but it's actually rebuilding the tombstones)?  I would do another Server Reinstallation and make sure all of your hard drives are visible in the Load Additional Storage Drivers screen.
    Wednesday, March 11, 2009 4:09 AM
    Moderator
  • I didn't interrupt a thing.  I have no idea if this has anything to do with it, but I do need to add some drivers so that all the drives can be seen (six in all).  I do have an original Home Server disk, from the first release, so I'm not sure if there's some updates I should slipstream in to it.
    Wednesday, March 11, 2009 4:52 AM
  • I do have a bit of a question.  Does the order that the drives are in the machine matter?  I know tha i matters for the system drive and I've made sure that one is booted as drive 0, but does it matter for all the other data drives?  I wonder if that's a reason why my reinstallation might not be going so well.
    Wednesday, March 11, 2009 11:07 PM
  • OK, I did a full re installation and I got the exact same issue.  It seems like there's some bug in the system and I'm not sure what I can do about it since I very well doubt doing another re installation without changing anything is going to have any different effect.

    Any suggestions?
    Thursday, March 12, 2009 12:40 AM
  • Hi,
    are all disks integrated in the storage pool?
    In the Shared Folder tab, are the sizes properly?
    Did you at any time create folders and copy stuff in D:\shares on your server directly instead of going through the network share access? Or did you create shares from within Windows instead of the console?

    You can check, if the data is still there by performing the steps in this FAQ.
    The DATA volumes can be accessed directly from the server desktop via C:\fs and the single volume mountpoints (which is unsupported, but ok for read only access).
    Copy the data from here either to an external drive or to a fresh created shared folder via \\server\sharename.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Thursday, March 12, 2009 11:36 AM
    Moderator
  • Olaf Engelke said:

    Hi,
    are all disks integrated in the storage pool?
    In the Shared Folder tab, are the sizes properly?
    Did you at any time create folders and copy stuff in D:\shares on your server directly instead of going through the network share access? Or did you create shares from within Windows instead of the console?

    You can check, if the data is still there by performing the steps in this FAQ.
    The DATA volumes can be accessed directly from the server desktop via C:\fs and the single volume mountpoints (which is unsupported, but ok for read only access).
    Copy the data from here either to an external drive or to a fresh created shared folder via \\server\sharename.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

    No, the disks are not integrated, they are just laid out as normal hard drives in My Computer on WHS. 

    I've never before copied from the D:/Shares folder and I only created folders in the console.  Although now I think I just have to plug the drives in one by one, transfer the data to the shared folders, and then integrate the drives in to the storage.  Is there a problem with this?  Am I apt to "break" the server doing this?
    Thursday, March 12, 2009 2:45 PM
  • Hi,
    the method you describe is the same as in the FAQ, which will not break the server. Only don't forget to copy really via the shortcut Shared folders on server and not to d:\shares.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    • Proposed as answer by kariya21Moderator Monday, March 16, 2009 12:34 AM
    • Marked as answer by SeveranceD Monday, March 16, 2009 12:42 AM
    Thursday, March 12, 2009 3:57 PM
    Moderator