Windows XP Home vs Professional RRS feed

• Question

• Hello I bought Laptop 5 years back with Windows XP Home Edition installed, and it was working fine. One fine day, my laptop got crashed (blue screen) and hence I gave to Local Service Provider in a different country to reinstall software. He told me that he will install Windows XP Professional as it is lower version than Windows XP Home Edition and also informed that its genuine. Now after coming to Canada, I am reciving genuinity issue from Microsoft. Please help me to resolve. I got Windows XP home edition key in the back of my laptop but no Software I received.

Thanks, Noor ul Eman

Sunday, June 26, 2011 10:23 PM

Answers

• "Noor ul Eman" wrote in message news:7803ca8d-e827-4d76-a8b4-4a15a3a0e4d9...

Hello I bought Laptop 5 years back with Windows XP Home Edition installed, and it was working fine. One fine day, my laptop got crashed (blue screen) and hence I gave to Local Service Provider in a different country to reinstall software. He told me that he will install Windows XP Professional as it is lower version than Windows XP Home Edition and also informed that its genuine. Now after coming to Canada, I am reciving genuinity issue from Microsoft. Please help me to resolve. I got Windows XP home edition key in the back of my laptop but no Software I received.

Thanks, Noor ul Eman

You need to find a OEM System Builder copy of XP Home to reinstall - or order a set of Recovery disks from the manufacturer.

--

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Wednesday, June 29, 2011 10:33 PM
    Sunday, June 26, 2011 10:28 PM

All replies

• "Noor ul Eman" wrote in message news:7803ca8d-e827-4d76-a8b4-4a15a3a0e4d9...

Hello I bought Laptop 5 years back with Windows XP Home Edition installed, and it was working fine. One fine day, my laptop got crashed (blue screen) and hence I gave to Local Service Provider in a different country to reinstall software. He told me that he will install Windows XP Professional as it is lower version than Windows XP Home Edition and also informed that its genuine. Now after coming to Canada, I am reciving genuinity issue from Microsoft. Please help me to resolve. I got Windows XP home edition key in the back of my laptop but no Software I received.

Thanks, Noor ul Eman

You need to find a OEM System Builder copy of XP Home to reinstall - or order a set of Recovery disks from the manufacturer.

--

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Wednesday, June 29, 2011 10:33 PM
    Sunday, June 26, 2011 10:28 PM
  • Unfortunately, the "Local Service Provider" was untrustworthy and apparently installed a non-genuine Windows XP Professional license.

You will need to perform a "clean install" of your original Windows XP Home Edition operating system.  Please see: How to replace lost or missing Microsoft software

Carey Frisch
    Sunday, June 26, 2011 11:19 PM