none
Why are certain words changed to Uppercase ? RRS feed

• Question

• Certain Words (e.g. the Word "word" or With) are automatically changed to uppercase in the TechNet forums.
    I find this annoying and cannot find any setting to avoid this.

Anyone ?

Thursday, November 8, 2012 10:49 PM

Answers

• Ok, now I get it.  Just certain words unexpectedly get the first letter capitalized.  Gosh, that's a real riddle.

: )

Technically, Andrew Lees is the President.  He answers to Steve.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/news/exec/lees/

Friday, November 9, 2012 11:36 PM

• EDIT2: Just changed the keybord to English US, problem is gone, but obviously I cannot live with a non/native keyboard, cannot find hyphens, parenthesis, slash, backslash etc..
    This is simply a BUG, I will report as so tomorrow *using Connect, sorry for lack of correct parenthesis, cannot find(

The President will be relieved to hear that problem is with deprecated legacy keyboards.

But the fact that you're not using W8 *touchscreen* is disappointing news so soon after re-election.

Friday, November 9, 2012 11:55 PM

• I naively think it has something to do with W8+IE10 new support of spellcheck, which you'll often see expressed as universal spellcheck.

Here's some docs you can glance at:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ie/hh772928(v=vs.85).aspx - spellcheck property (Internet Explorer)

http://www.w3.org/TR/2011/WD-html5-author-20110809/editing.html#spelling-and-grammar-checking - 7.6 Spelling and grammar checking (spellcheck)

I'm thinking that somehow, your language and keyboard settings are provoking a bug when you copy+pasted your text from the clipboard into this forum editor under W8+IE10.  Here's an experiment to try to turn spellcheck off.  I haven't any idea if it will work (or should work).  But I did test it with IE8,9,10 and saw the effects were recorded as I'd expect. While viewing this page, type one of the following lines into the IE address bar and hit enter.  A js alert box saying "false" will appear if you transcribed the lines correctly.  (Note: copy+pasting the following lines will truncate the word "javascript", which is why I said to "type" it manually).

javascript:alert(document.spellcheck=false);

javascript:alert(document.getElementsByTagName('html')[0].spellcheck=false);

Then (without leaving or refreshing this page), try posting your favorite words again which magically capitalize.

Did that solve it?  If yes, then we can be pretty sure it has something to do with the spellcheck feature.  If nothing changes, this experiment proves nothing except probably I don't really know what I'm doing.  (Gosh, I'm sure going to look smart if this works...)

Saturday, November 10, 2012 11:27 PM

• So it is spellcheck.  That's progress.  But document.spellcheck=false didn't turn it off.

Maybe window.spellcheck would have?  I'm just guessing.  How are you seeing the spellchecker?  Just using IE10 and posting here?  I'm sure I've posted here once or twice with IE10, but didn't notice any spellcheck activity.  My point is, I really don't know what to look for.

Possibly, if you haven't already trained the spellchecker with every misbehaving word, you could try that other js line with the <html> tag.  I don't know if its attribute inherits downward, but the msdn article suggests it might.

Thanks for all the Answer points.  I don't need anymore.  Now I have authorization to terrorize this forum with links and pics.  That's all that matters.

Sunday, November 11, 2012 1:09 AM

All replies

• Just testing.

word

with

For me they don't really get capitalisized. Or don't I understand what you mean?

The following is my signature:

Powershell Programmer & Advanced Lua Programmer

Beside that, whenever you see a reply, you think is helpful, click "Alternate TextVote As Helpful"! And whenever you see a reply being an answer to the main question of the thread, click "Alternate TextMark As Answer" (if you opened the thread).

Please contact me, before reporting me, thank you.

[string](0..21|%{[char][int]([int]("{0:d}" -f 0x28)+('577076797174-87661607769657424-8687168065964').substring(($_*2),2))})-replace' '

Friday, November 9, 2012 7:58 AM
  • Oh... just tried from another PC (Windows 7 this time, problem PC is Windows 8), no problem on this one.

will try a little later today (at the problem pc) and post if I (this was the only capital letter by purpose in this sentence) find out something.

• Edited by EuroEager Friday, November 9, 2012 12:38 PM
    Friday, November 9, 2012 12:37 PM
  • So when you're typing, this happens? If so, than you changed something in your browser, if it happens everywhere, you changed that on your computer.

The following is my signature:

Powershell Programmer & Advanced Lua Programmer

Beside that, whenever you see a reply, you think is helpful, click "Alternate TextVote As Helpful"! And whenever you see a reply being an answer to the main question of the thread, click "Alternate TextMark As Answer" (if you opened the thread).

Please contact me, before reporting me, thank you.

[string](0..21|%{[char][int]([int]("{0:d}" -f 0x28)+('577076797174-87661607769657424-8687168065964').substring(($_*2),2))})-replace' '

Friday, November 9, 2012 12:39 PM
  • yes, just typing, this a kind of autocorrect, the following text is written straight away, no shift or shift Lock, just plain keys (note the Capital L in Lock and Capital C in Capital, inside this paranthesis only the single letters L and C was written by using shift):
    Word
    With
    New york is the Capitol of usa, criminals should be within Locks, this is a sentence With many Words.
    New New New york (observe that the Word New is also automatically capitalized).
    so far capitalized Words are: Lock, Capital, With, New.

It just occurred to me that this is perhaps a issue With IE10 (using W8, of course IE10), no problem With W7 (IE9).
    IE10 has already had a number of issues.
    In a moment I will edit this post using Firefox...

Back again and using Firefox (still windows 8 though):
    word
    with
    new york is the capitol of usa, criminals should within locks, this is a sentence with many words.

Yes, it seems to be related with IE10, I have not done any particular setting in IE10, just default page and a couple of settings regarding tab handling, nothing at all regarding text formatting.

B.t.w. since I am not American, I guess I am excused for my mistake regarding new york which, is of course, not the capitol of USA, capitol is indeed Washington :)

• Edited by EuroEager Friday, November 9, 2012 9:18 PM
    Friday, November 9, 2012 9:10 PM
  • No, not full caps (if full caps means that all the letters is capitalized), only the first letter of certain Words like Word, New, Lock etc.

(as you may see, i am now back to IE10 again, if this reply was written using Firefox, the Words on the previous line (Word, New and Lock) would nort be capitalized)

Perhaps the problem is related to the fact that my region/format setting is not English (neither uk nor us or any other "kind" of English), but in my Language it is no reason at all for this rather annoying/Comic capitalization.
    I will try to switch the regional settings to se if it changes anything in a soon-coming post on this thread.

And I think I recall that Steve Ballmer was re-elected as the President of the U.S.A the other day (took over after Bill Gates 4 years ago), right ?

EDIT: Changed everything I can find regarding Language except for keyboard which has a few caps which is more or less unique to my Language and I will not let it og, didn't help anyway.

(just found a New Word With this behaviour: Language )

EDIT2: Just changed the keybord to English US, problem is gone, but obviously I cannot live with a non/native keyboard, cannot find hyphens, parenthesis, slash, backslash etc..
    This is simply a BUG, I will report as so tomorrow *using Connect, sorry for lack of correct parenthesis, cannot find(

• Edited by EuroEager Friday, November 9, 2012 11:36 PM
    Friday, November 9, 2012 11:15 PM
  • Sorry for lack of language knowledge, don't know the exact meaning of the Word riddle, similar to annoyance (which this thread was started With) ?

Thanks for enlightning me regarding presidency, have you told Mr. Ballmer his true "technical" position ? (Anyway, I suspected that the truth is twisted when it passes European Union).

Friday, November 9, 2012 11:50 PM
  • Haven't got my self a 27" Surface With hydraulic lifts for my arms to be able to touch all day, not yet, coming soon.
    Saturday, November 10, 2012 12:06 AM
  • No AddOns (just disbaled all to check), note the coupling With keyboard Language.
    Again, not all Word are capitalized, only special ones...

(any benefits of Points ? wow, Points is also special word, but only in plural, point is not special, only Points )

Saturday, November 10, 2012 6:28 PM
  • Thanks, yes an alert Box says false, but it didn't help (New Magic Word discovered, look at Word #4 of this post, namely Box)

Only tried the "javascript:alert(document.spellcheck=false);"

Anyway, I think you are correct regarding spellchecker, if I add the Word "word", "new", "lock", "box" etc, to the offered Dictionary, then the problem is "gone" (not really gone since I have to teach this stupid thing a lot of obvious stuff, obvious to me in my country anyway).

Like here: (just added to dictionary): word, new, lock, box, dictionary, points.

Now I just changed the language altogether to US English, changed input method to my native qwerty keyboard and I do no longer see the problem at all, puh...

You led me to the answer, I give you 10 points (I myself do not care about points unless they lead to some benefits beyond reputation)

Saturday, November 10, 2012 11:48 PM
  • Instant spellcheck, a good thing when it obeys the language setup (and the user really understands the setup, not so east if language is different from input device etc.), imho, autocorrect is normally a bad thing.
    • Edited by EuroEager Sunday, November 11, 2012 8:54 AM
    Sunday, November 11, 2012 8:54 AM