Backup Failure - Network Health Critical RRS feed

• Question

• My client PC's are all reporting that "Network Health is Critical" beginning this AM.  The network status using the Home Server Console reports "the backup database has errors" and suggests I run the repair wizard.  When I look in the WHS machine application event log I'm see an application error for whsbackup.exe V 6.0.2030.0 fault address 0x0001c0c2.  In the HomeServer event log I have Client Backup server failed at d:\wssg_src\whs_pp2\ghs\src\backup\util\sort.cpp(1205).

It appears that the problem occurs for 1 of the 3 client machines and appears to have first occurred the morning of 04/12.

I am lost as to how to identify the exact problem.  This same problem has occurred twice before and when I used the Backup Repair Wizard lost all backups.

Can anyone tell me how to identify the exact cause of the failure and what I can do to correct it short of wiping everything out?

I am running WHS OEM version with PP2 installed on self-built server.  No other software is installed on WHS.  Storage is 4 1TB Seagate SATA drives configured as ATCH.

Tuesday, April 14, 2009 12:38 AM

Answers

• Thank you for the response.  I have not tried that, although there are instances of chkdsk running in the event log each day.  I copied the code into a cmd file and attempted to run it.  I received a message that it could not be executed because the volume was in use and asking if I wanted to schedule it to run at the next system restart.  I then stopped the backup service and tried again with the same results.  I answered Y to run at next restart and did shutdown->restart.  I will post the results once it runs.
    • Marked as answer by gotfuzzy Tuesday, April 14, 2009 2:45 PM
    Tuesday, April 14, 2009 1:44 PM

All replies

• My client PC's are all reporting that "Network Health is Critical" beginning this AM.  The network status using the Home Server Console reports "the backup database has errors" and suggests I run the repair wizard.  When I look in the WHS machine application event log I'm see an application error for whsbackup.exe V 6.0.2030.0 fault address 0x0001c0c2.  In the HomeServer event log I have Client Backup server failed at d:\wssg_src\whs_pp2\ghs\src\backup\util\sort.cpp(1205).

It appears that the problem occurs for 1 of the 3 client machines and appears to have first occurred the morning of 04/12.

I am lost as to how to identify the exact problem.  This same problem has occurred twice before and when I used the Backup Repair Wizard lost all backups.

Can anyone tell me how to identify the exact cause of the failure and what I can do to correct it short of wiping everything out?

I am running WHS OEM version with PP2 installed on self-built server.  No other software is installed on WHS.  Storage is 4 1TB Seagate SATA drives configured as ATCH.

Have you tried running chkdsk /r on each drive in the server?  If not, see Ken Warren's FAQ post How to check all the drives in your server for errors.
    Tuesday, April 14, 2009 4:35 AM
  • Thank you for the response.  I have not tried that, although there are instances of chkdsk running in the event log each day.  I copied the code into a cmd file and attempted to run it.  I received a message that it could not be executed because the volume was in use and asking if I wanted to schedule it to run at the next system restart.  I then stopped the backup service and tried again with the same results.  I answered Y to run at next restart and did shutdown->restart.  I will post the results once it runs.
    • Marked as answer by gotfuzzy Tuesday, April 14, 2009 2:45 PM
    Tuesday, April 14, 2009 1:44 PM
  • Please check the event viewer of the client, which has the trouble and post the content of the related error here.
    This can help to narrow down, if the reason is on client or on server side.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Tuesday, April 14, 2009 2:31 PM
  • Olaf,

The contents of the client event log:

From Client Event Log - Application

Date/Time                Source       Category      Type         Event ID Description
    04/13/09 1:29:56 AM HomeServer HomeBackup Information 768      Backup set 126 started on PAA-HSVR1.

04/13/09 1:30:07 AM HomeServer HomeBackup Information 771      Backup of volume C: to PAA-HSVR1 started.

04/13/09 1:35:32 AM HomeServer HomeBackup Information 773      Backup of volume C: to PAA-HSVR1 failed:
       Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.Protocol.ProtocolException: Client / Server connection lost
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.Protocol.ReconnectableStream.TryReconnect(Int32 localGeneration)
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.Protocol.ReconnectableStream.ReadWithReconnect()
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.Protocol.ReconnectableStream.ReadByte()
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Common.Client.BinaryReaderEx.ReadLong()
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Common.Client.BinaryReaderEx.ReadInt()
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.Protocol.BackupProtocol.GetResponse()
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.BackupOp.BackupOperation.GetNextNeededClusterRange()
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.NTFS.ClusterRangeReader.MoreReadAhead(VolumeBuffer b)
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.NTFS.ClusterRangeReader..ctor(Volume volume, RangeReader getNextRange)
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.BackupOp.BackupOperation.DoClusterPass2()
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.BackupOp.BackupOperation.RunWithoutCatch()
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.BackupOp.BackupOperation.Run()

04/13/09 1:35:37 AM HomeServer HomeBackup Information 770      Backup set 126 on PAA-HSVR1 failed:
       Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.Protocol.ProtocolException: Client / Server connection lost
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.Protocol.ReconnectableStream.TryReconnect(Int32 localGeneration)
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.Protocol.ReconnectableStream.ReadWithReconnect()
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.Protocol.ReconnectableStream.ReadByte()
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Common.Client.BinaryReaderEx.ReadLong()
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Common.Client.BinaryReaderEx.ReadInt()
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.Protocol.BackupProtocol.GetResponse()
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.BackupOp.BackupOperation.GetNextNeededClusterRange()
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.NTFS.ClusterRangeReader.MoreReadAhead(VolumeBuffer b)
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.NTFS.ClusterRangeReader..ctor(Volume volume, RangeReader getNextRange)
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.BackupOp.BackupOperation.DoClusterPass2()
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.BackupOp.BackupOperation.RunWithoutCatch()
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.BackupOp.BackupOperation.Run()
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.BackupOp.BackupSetOperation.RunWithoutCatch()
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.BackupOp.BackupSetOperation.Run()

Client Event Log - System
    Date/Time                Source                        Category Type          Event ID Description
    04/13/09 1:30:03 AM Service Control Manager None       Information 7035     The Volume Shadow Copy service was successfully sent a start control.
    04/13/09 1:30:03 AM Service Control Manager None       Information 7036     The Volume Shadow Copy service entered the running state.
    04/13/09 1:30:03 AM Service Control Manager None       Information 7035     The MS Software Shadow Copy Provider service was successfully sent a start control.
    04/13/09 1:30:03 AM Service Control Manager None       Information 7036     The MS Software Shadow Copy Provider service entered the running state.

Tuesday, April 14, 2009 3:46 PM
  • Sometimes these messages only give the developers who wrote them senseful information, while we can only speculate about real background and meaning of the error messages.
    Since the client claimed a lost connection, this could be the network side, the server side and sometimes also the client side (although the later should manifest in other errors).
    Does the client have more than one drive to backup? If yes, what would happen, if the C: drive is excluded in backup? Would it complete then?
    Maybe running chkdsk /f /r on the C: drive of the client and/or trying to repair the backup database via console could also fix the behavior.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Tuesday, April 14, 2009 9:41 PM