Change of country and motherboards = "Genuine Windows" problems RRS feed

• Question

• I bought my current PC plus GENUINE Windows XP in Antigua & Barabuda in 2002.

The motherboard was replaced in 2004.

I moved to Panama, with PC, in 2005, and the motherboard had to be replaced again. The guys who did the work must have installed a cracked version of Windows, even though I gave them the 2002 CD to use, no doubt because of the 101 updates to be installed when starting from a 2002 copy.

So now I am being told that my Windows version is not genuine.

I tried setting the key to the 2002 one from Antigua but it was rejected.

I can't even pay to fix the problem (pay the "FEE" for fixing Microsoft'ts errors that is) because as soon as I say I am in Panama the screen changes to offer only the Spanish version, and the price goes up from $149 to $169! If I lie and say I am in some majority English speaking country, I assume I wouldn't be able to complete paying the extortion fee as my ip will say I am in Panama, as will my credit card addresses.

Note to Microsoft: There are many people in Panama (and more arriving every day) who are NOT Spanish speakers. The same goes for any country in the world. Not all inhabitants of any country speak the same language as their language of choice. Why do you try to force people into boxes? Lanuage should always be an option. I tried updating my MS Profile but there was no language option.

I will be buying multiple new PCs soon, but probably not until Vista is out. In the meantime I resent being forced to buy XP a second time (especially in the wrong language) just because of Microsft faults i.e. security failures.

Please advise how can this be fixed.

David Hartley

David.Hartley@ElanElan.com

Thursday, August 10, 2006 2:23 AM

Answers

• David,

Occasionally we have had some customers that purchased valid copies of Windows or received them when purchasing an OEM system but failed validation. In most cases this has been determined to be the result of the actual Product Key used to install the current version of Windows XP to be blocked. This most often has occurred by the computer being repaired and a Blocked Product Key being used on the computer at that time.

To confirm there are no other blocking issues with your validation such as clock out of synch or IE settings blocking the validation process please run the WGA Diagnostics located here:

http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/diag/

If everything here is confirmed as functioning properly and you still have issues validating could you please run the wgadiag tool here and post the information for us.

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012

Without actually posting your Product Key in this post compare the last 15 characters of your COA to the last 15 characters in the Diag output. If they are not the same you will have to change the product key. The easiest way to do this without having to re-install applications or lose data is to refer to the Repair Method in this KB Article.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315341/en-us

Warning: as with any such major procedure it is highly recommended you backup all critical/personal data on your computer that you would not want to lose and ensure you have the software to re-install your applications should something happen.

We can also attempt to change the key using the Product Key Update tool below. The Genuine Advantage Product Key Update Tool is only valid for users attempting to change their current non-genuine Product Key to a genuine COA sticker or genuine Product Key – all without a reinstall! http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=50346&clcid=0x409

Note: This is provided no core system files are corrupted. If they are you will need to complete a clean install of your system.

Sunday, August 13, 2006 8:07 AM
  • David,

Use the disc that you have to do a repair reinstallation.

Friday, August 18, 2006 3:43 AM
  • You must install Service Pack 2 for Windows XP before downloading and installing Windows Media Player 11.  You can download SP2 here: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=049C9DBE-3B8E-4F30-8245-9E368D3CDB5A&displaylang=en

Service Pack 2 Support Center: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?pr=windowsxpsp2

Tuesday, December 26, 2006 8:56 PM
  • David:

The *current* copy of WIndows you are currently using is non-genuine. It is a blocked Volume License that has been deemed "lost/stolen" by the purchasing company and has been blocked for use on genuine based updates.

You mentioned you tried to "switch over" product keys - how? 

Items like IE7 and WMP11 are gated by WGA software and are only allowed to be installed on genuine Windows.

Please go to www.microsoft.com/genuine and click Validate Windows for more options on resolving the issue.

Do you still have the CD media and receipts? If so, you can compare to see if yuor counterfeit software is of high quality here - www.howtotell.com.

-phil

Tuesday, December 26, 2006 9:10 PM
  • It is not the fault of Microsoft that, according to you, "the technician here used another CD, not mine, to re-install Windows...".  And that CD and Product Key turned-out to be non-genuine. 

In order to resolve your non-genuine licensing issue, please visit: www.microsoft.com/genuine and click on "Validate Windows". When validation fails, click on the Get Genuine button which will provide information on how to acquire a WGA Kit.

Tuesday, December 26, 2006 9:49 PM

All replies

• David,

To help me understand the issue further can you please follow the steps below?

1. Download and run the WGA Diagnostic Tool  http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012

2. After running the WGA Diagnostic Tool, click on the "Windows" tab and then click on "Copy to Clipboard". Paste the results into your forum response.

Thursday, August 10, 2006 1:16 PM
  • The requested information is below.

My original product key from 2002 was: xxxxxxxxxx

And what about my language comments? MSN Messenger also thinks I must be Spanish spaking since I am in Panama.

David

Diagnostic Report (1.5.0540.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Genuine Validation Status: Blocked VLK
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-Q729M-VPRXF-M7CMD
    Windows Product Key Hash: upeBAlXtSWkCcQva5UPGb5qRi5I=
    Windows Product ID: 55274-642-4311057-23020
    Windows Product ID Type: 1
    Windows License Type: Volume
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro
    Download Center code: 8R5H6C7
    ID: 14a093c3-ae4b-4190-bc55-aab54c415b34
    Is Admin: Yes
    AutoDial: Yes
    Registry: 0x0
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.5.540.0
    Signature Type: Microsoft
    Validation Diagnostic:

System Scan Data-->
    Scan: Complete
    Cryptography: Complete

Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: 3
    Cache refresh Interval: 50153 seconds
    Extended notification delay(non-genuine): N/A
    Extended notification delay(un-activated): N/A
    All disabled: N/A
    Reminder reduced: N/A
    File Exists: Yes
    Version: 1.5.540.0
    Signatue Type: Microsoft

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 100
    Office Diagnostics:

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control:
    Active scripting:
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting:

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>14a093c3-ae4b-4190-bc55-aab54c415b34</UGUID><Version>1.5.0540.0</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro</OS><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-M7CMD</PKey><PID>55274-642-4311057-23020</PID><PIDType>1</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-823518204-688789844-839522115</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>AWARD_</Manufacturer><Model>AWRDACPI</Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Phoenix Technologies, LTD</Manufacturer><Version>6.00 PG</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="2"/><Date>20030829000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>489D332F0184A05F</HWID><UserLCID>0809</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>SA Pacific Standard Time(GMT-05:00)</TimeZone></MachineData>   <Software><Office><Result>100</Result><Products><Product GUID="{91110409-6000-11D3-8CFE-0050048383C9}"><LegitResult>100</LegitResult><Name>Microsoft Office XP Professional</Name><Ver>10</Ver><Val>8DC801AEB72F52E</Val><Hash>DHepNyU5/6PUEG0Jb4liNvROF4s=</Hash><Pid>54186-OEM-1790137-47991</Pid></Product></Products></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Saturday, August 12, 2006 12:16 AM
  • David,

Please look on the computer or in the materials that came with your computer or with Windows to see if you have a Certificate of Authenticity (COA).  If you have one, tell us about the COA.  Tell us:

1.  What edition of Windows XP is it for, Home, Pro, or Media Center?

2.  Does it read "OEM Software" or "OEM Product" in black lettering?

3.  Or, does it have the computer manufacturer's name in black lettering?

4.  DO NOT post the Product Key.

Not sure what to look for?  Click here:  http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/en/coa.mspx

Saturday, August 12, 2006 3:39 AM
  • David,

Occasionally we have had some customers that purchased valid copies of Windows or received them when purchasing an OEM system but failed validation. In most cases this has been determined to be the result of the actual Product Key used to install the current version of Windows XP to be blocked. This most often has occurred by the computer being repaired and a Blocked Product Key being used on the computer at that time.

To confirm there are no other blocking issues with your validation such as clock out of synch or IE settings blocking the validation process please run the WGA Diagnostics located here:

http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/diag/

If everything here is confirmed as functioning properly and you still have issues validating could you please run the wgadiag tool here and post the information for us.

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012

Without actually posting your Product Key in this post compare the last 15 characters of your COA to the last 15 characters in the Diag output. If they are not the same you will have to change the product key. The easiest way to do this without having to re-install applications or lose data is to refer to the Repair Method in this KB Article.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315341/en-us

Warning: as with any such major procedure it is highly recommended you backup all critical/personal data on your computer that you would not want to lose and ensure you have the software to re-install your applications should something happen.

We can also attempt to change the key using the Product Key Update tool below. The Genuine Advantage Product Key Update Tool is only valid for users attempting to change their current non-genuine Product Key to a genuine COA sticker or genuine Product Key – all without a reinstall! http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=50346&clcid=0x409

Note: This is provided no core system files are corrupted. If they are you will need to complete a clean install of your system.

Sunday, August 13, 2006 8:07 AM
  • The answers to your points are:

1. Pro

2. No, though the "manual", 801 Part No. X08-48124, which came with it is an OEM Manual "For distribution only with a new PC"

3. No, but a sticker on the manual mentioned above says "For distribution with a new Premo PC only" 0801 Part No. X08-42684"

4. Already did that last time!

David Panama

Wednesday, August 16, 2006 11:52 AM
  • Diagnostics passed all OK.

Info from the wgadiag tool was posted previosuly.

I tried the Product Key Update tool, which I had already tried as mentioned in my original post, but got the same result: "The Product Key Entered is not a valid key for this system."

Please sort this out! This is wasting a lot of time, and causing a lot of ill-will.

In my consulting capacity I have over the last year generated many tens of thousands of dollars for Microsoft by insisting that corporate clients become legal with their Windows Server and MSSQL system, yet I am now told that my own system is not genuine, and you force me to go through all this pain....

VERY annoying. OK I could pay, but then a different lot of pain would start since you insist that as I am in Panama I must order the Spanish version - arrrggghhhh. But even if I could manage to trick your "system" into allowing me to order an English version from Panama to end the "not genuine" pain, on principle I OBJECT to doing that.

I will be making and advising clients on millions of dollars of IT acquisitions during the next year. You sure make Linux and Open Office look more and more attractive every day that this nonsense continues.

David

Wednesday, August 16, 2006 12:07 PM
  • David,

Right now, your computer has a Volume Licensing edition of XP Pro installed (Line 7), and that installation was done with a now-blocked Volume Licensing Key (VLK) (Line 2).  VLKs are blocked by Microsoft at the request of the original keyholder for such reasons as the key was lost, stolen, compromised, misused, or expired.  Also, MS may have blocked the key if it notices a pattern of misuse, ie, more installations of XP using that key than authorized.

If you seach the forum for the part of the Product Key that is reported, Q729M-VPRXF-M7CMD, you will see that one other poster has also been using that unauthorized Product Key.

As a rule, VL editions of XP should not be sold to individual consumers.  Businesses, schools and gov'ts normally use VL editions for flexibility in installing many computers.  This of course you would know being a consultant and mentioning that you encourage your clients to buy genuine software.

This is why you were seeing the "software counterfeiting" messages on your computer, because the current installation of XP is an unauthorized installation.

Some Good News:  Your Office XP Pro installation is showing as Genuine (Office status=100 means Genuine).

Your description of the COA and the User Pamphlet indicate that either one or both may be counterfeit.  Windows XP COAs from systembuilder/OEMs will have "OEM Product" or "OEM Software" printed on the COA, and a correct installation will report "COA/sysembuilder" [sic] as the "Windows License Type" on the diagnostic report.  Royalty OEMs (the bigger computer companies) will have the name of the company printed on the COA, and a correct installation will report "OEM SLP" as the "Windows License Type" on the diagnostic report.  You are saying that your COA has neither OEM Product/OEM Software nor the Company Name on it.

Did you get a CD with the Operaing System on it with the computer?  If so, please have a close look at the CD you received.  Compare it to the counterfeits at this link:  http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/en/counterfeit.mspx

If you received a hologram CD that looks like a genuine MS Windows XP CD, look very closely at the disc to see if the hologram is on a thin label affixed to the surface of the disc, or if the hologram is embedded within the plastic of the CD.  The genuine CD's hologram is embedded in the plastic.

Wednesday, August 16, 2006 1:52 PM
  • Yes, I did get a CD with the computer. And I paid for the computer to be upgraded frm XP Home to XP Pro. The XP Pro price was EC$700 I think, from memory (US$259)!

The CD does not appear to include a hologram. It is labelled:

premio

Windows XP Professional CD

Support for these products is

provided by Premio Computer, Inc.

JDE # 68C872

For Distribution with a New PC Only

Portions C 1985-2002 Microsoft Corporation. All Rights Reserved.

---

The computer was purchased from ACT (Antigua Computer Technology Co. Ltd.) in Antigua & Barbuda. Their supplier was Premio in the US.

David

Wednesday, August 16, 2006 4:31 PM
  • David,

Explore the contents of the CD and look for the setupp.ini file in the \i386 folder on the CD.

Open the setupp.ini file in Notepad and look at the second section, the PID section.  (It is a very small file with two sections.)

Please report the last three numbers/characters of the PID section.

If the last three are somehwere in the 200s (say, 270) or in the 600s (say, 614), then the CD is designed to install a Volume Licensing installation of XP Pro.

If the value is other than the above, why not try a clean installation using the CD?

BTW, Premio still has an active web site:  http://premioinc.com/pc/  Have you contacted them for assistance?

Wednesday, August 16, 2006 5:15 PM
  • The last 3 digits plus the last 3 characters of the Pid are: 274OEM

Since the value was not "other than the above" I have not tried a clean install, but in any case, I dread the thought of that, since it will take so long, with xxxx updates to be done, and the risk of having to reinstall applications. (Last time a "clean install" was done following hardware replacements I ended up with a total mess and 2 copies of XP, one on C:, and one on D:, and needed to reinstall all software and set everything up again = days wasted. Actually it took months for everything to get sorted out totally again, as I would keep encountering some missing setting or other on accessing rarely used items. That very bad experience is part of why I persist with this old machine, and will not switch to a new, faster, better one lightly.)

No, I have not tried contacting Premio for help, not expecting that I would get any. I expect they will say "Not our problem" if I get any response at all.

David

Thursday, August 17, 2006 11:58 AM
  • David,

Use the disc that you have to do a repair reinstallation.

Friday, August 18, 2006 3:43 AM
  • I waited for a Sunday when not working to have the time to do this.

However, I was unable to "do a repair reinstallation" since:

1. There was no "Repair Reinstallation" option, only options for "Install Windows XP", plus Install optional Windows Componests (no "repair reinstallation"), Perform Additional Tasks (no "repair reinstallation"), and Check System compatibility.

2. When I tried "Install Windows XP" I was told:

"Setup cannot continue because the version of Windows on your computer is newer than the version on the CD.

Warning: If you decide to delete the newer version of Windows that is currently installed on your computer, the files and settings cannot be recovered."

The cost in time of losing the "files and settings" is too great: days of setup time and months of elapsed time before all rarely used settings have been restored, so I did not proceed. I would rather VERY ANGRILY PAY THE EXTORTION FEE THAN GO THROUGH THAT, and then take steps to reduce and over time eliminate use of Microsoft products as much as possible from my comapnies's systems, and those of the companies I advise.

If the only option left to me is to pay the fee, please advise how I can do so without being forced to order the Spanish version at $169 since I am located in Panama, along with about one hundred thousand other people whose native tongue is not Spanish.

Please advise.

David Hartley

Sunday, August 27, 2006 12:16 PM
  • May I have a response, please, Microsoft?

David

Tuesday, August 29, 2006 10:59 AM
  • David,

You encountered the "Setup cannot continue..." error message because the CDROM you have is an older CDROM that does not have SP2, or possibly SP1, integrated into it.  Whenever you try to do a repair reinstallation http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315341/en-us, you will get that error message if your CD's service pack level is "behind" the service pack level of the XP installation.

Try using this program, Autostreamer, http://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=223562, and the downloaded full-file version of XP SP2 http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/info.aspx?na=22&p=3&SrcDisplayLang=en&SrcCategoryId=&SrcFamilyId=&u=%2fdownloads%2fdetails.aspx%3fFamilyID%3d049c9dbe-3b8e-4f30-8245-9e368d3cdb5a%26DisplayLang%3den to integrate SP2 into the CD you have to make a new working installation CD.  That will take care of the error message.

However, in some cases, the OEM (Premio) modifies their CD so that it differs from the generic MS CD to the point where an automated tool like Autostreamer cannot integrate the SP into the CD's files.  In that case, you will have to take these instructions http://vbdotnet.home.comcast.net/XP_SP2.htm that were written to make a Dell OS SP2 integrated working reinstallation CD and extrapolate them to fit the Premio CD.  Alternately, you can contact Premio to see if they can send you a current CD with SP 2 integrated into it.

Tuesday, August 29, 2006 7:45 PM
  • You must install Service Pack 2 for Windows XP before downloading and installing Windows Media Player 11.  You can download SP2 here: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=049C9DBE-3B8E-4F30-8245-9E368D3CDB5A&displaylang=en

Service Pack 2 Support Center: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?pr=windowsxpsp2

Tuesday, December 26, 2006 8:56 PM
  • I installed SP2 ages ago, right after it was released.

That is NOT the issue.

Please READ my posts.

The problem is a "Genuine Windows" problem.

David

Tuesday, December 26, 2006 9:01 PM
  • David:

The *current* copy of WIndows you are currently using is non-genuine. It is a blocked Volume License that has been deemed "lost/stolen" by the purchasing company and has been blocked for use on genuine based updates.

You mentioned you tried to "switch over" product keys - how? 

Items like IE7 and WMP11 are gated by WGA software and are only allowed to be installed on genuine Windows.

Please go to www.microsoft.com/genuine and click Validate Windows for more options on resolving the issue.

Do you still have the CD media and receipts? If so, you can compare to see if yuor counterfeit software is of high quality here - www.howtotell.com.

-phil

Tuesday, December 26, 2006 9:10 PM
  • Re product keys I only did what I was advised to do in theses messages, but it did not work.

May extreme annoyance re WMP11 is that I have been denied use of something that was previously working. At least when the IE7 upgrade failed to validate I was still left with IE6 working.

I still have the original (good) CD media from 2002, but not the receipt, which was left in Antigua.

It is true that following a mother board and hard disk replacement, the technician here used another CD, not mine, to re-install Windows, because my CD was so old.

How can this be sorted out please? Do I have to make a statutory declaration? Or what?

This is wasting an awful lot of time and causing GREAT annoyance.

David Hartley

Tuesday, December 26, 2006 9:37 PM
  • It is not the fault of Microsoft that, according to you, "the technician here used another CD, not mine, to re-install Windows...".  And that CD and Product Key turned-out to be non-genuine. 

In order to resolve your non-genuine licensing issue, please visit: www.microsoft.com/genuine and click on "Validate Windows". When validation fails, click on the Get Genuine button which will provide information on how to acquire a WGA Kit.

Tuesday, December 26, 2006 9:49 PM
  • David,

After re-reading all of the posts, I still think that my post on 8-29-06 can get you on the right track.

If you get your old, no-service-pack presumably genuine XP Pro CD up to speed by making an SP-2 slipstreamed installation CD, you will be able to do a repair reinstallation that will put your previous, pre-motherboard repair, genuine XP Pro back onto the computer.

The Repair reinstallation process has been specifically designed to preserve installed programs, data, and user settings.  As a CYA measure, most folks posting advice will tell you to have a current backup in case it craps out, but unless problems are being caused by hardware, it will not crap out.  There is one obscure situation that may result in loss of data, but as I understand your circumstances it does not apply to you.  However, please check for the presence of a file named Undo_guimode.txt  in the c:\windows\system32 folder; it must be deleted if present, before you run the repair.  (Here are the gory details:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/312368/en-us)

Here is a great tutorial on how to do a repair:  http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

So in a nutshell:

1.  Prepare your slipstreamed CD.  If available, you could even borrow someone else's genuine hologram MS OEM XP Pro CD that has SP2 built-in.  As long as you have the correct category of CD, you will be able to do this---the actual specific CD is merely media, there is no PK built into the CD.

2.  Run the repair, enter your COA PK when asked.

3.  Finish the repair, now you're genuine.

4.  Install updates (there will be about 75 Windows Updates!!!) and live happily ever after.

Thursday, December 28, 2006 9:29 PM