Re-activating Windows Vista Problems RRS feed

• Question

• My friends son's laptop was riddled with virus's and trojans, and no matter how I tried I could not get rid of them, either the computer would reset it's self before I could do a scan or a fix, deleting anything proved impossible with the rites access to the computer's admin being blocked even in safe mode.
    In the end I suggest a re-install, the computer was using Windows Vista Home Basic. I asked if they had the disk, I was informed it was lost in a fire a year ago.

With that I set about getting the Key from Control Panel\System, I managed to scribble down the the key after only one reset in getting there.
    there was no "Ask for Genuine" labels next to the code.

I took there laptop home with me and dug out my copy of Windows Vista, I have Home Premium however.

I skipped the product key part so it would ask me what kind of Windows I had, I selected Home Basic for the Laptop and it installed fine.

On booting the laptop up I connected it to the Internet and set about activating the product key.

The problem is now, that the key I have written down does not want to enter.

I've flipped the laptop over and checked the key on the underside, and at one point or another the laptop has been running Windows XP so that codes no good to me.

I would be so thankful for any help here, this favour for a friend is turning in to a long and painful job.

Thank You.

The laptop is a Toshiba Equium L40-10U
    • Edited by Jos Riddle Monday, June 28, 2010 12:23 PM Laptop info.
    Monday, June 28, 2010 12:21 PM

Answers

• "Jos Riddle" wrote in message news:780ead56-a430-4ad6-90aa-ff247de617ed...
    My friends son's laptop was riddled with virus's and trojans, and no matter how I tried I could not get rid of them, either the computer would reset it's self before I could do a scan or a fix, deleting anything proved impossible with the rites access to the computer's admin being blocked even in safe mode.
    In the end I suggest a re-install, the computer was using Windows Vista Home Basic. I asked if they had the disk, I was informed it was lost in a fire a year ago.

With that I set about getting the Key from Control Panel\System, I managed to scribble down the the key after only one reset in getting there.
    there was no "Ask for Genuine" labels next to the code.

I took there laptop home with me and dug out my copy of Windows Vista, I have Home Premium however.

I skipped the product key part so it would ask me what kind of Windows I had, I selected Home Basic for the Laptop and it installed fine.

On booting the laptop up I connected it to the Internet and set about activating the product key.

The problem is now, that the key I have written down does not want to enter.

I've flipped the laptop over and checked the key on the underside, and at one point or another the laptop has been running Windows XP so that codes no good to me.

I would be so thankful for any help here, this favour for a friend is turning in to a long and painful job.

Thank You.

The laptop is a Toshiba Equium L40-10U

It's likely that they key you are using is for an upgrade licence - and you would therefore need a pre-existing activated install of an eligible operating system, and possibly an Upgrade disk.
    It is possible to get around the first problem, since the XP License is still valid - the second may be more difficult.

The best option in any case would almost certainly be to install XP rather than Vista (unless the laptop has more than 1GB of RAM). If you can find anyone with a MS OEM System Builder disk, you could copy that and use it for an install, with the key on the base of the PC.

HTH? - if you need more, please post back :)

--

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    Monday, June 28, 2010 1:28 PM