RC1 RRS feed

• Question

• This is horrible,

I have been hanging around the forum all day really just waiting for RC1. Seems like everyone else is too. I have never seen the forum so DEAD.

I would like to install RC1 this weekend, I have time to kill.

Eagerly awaiting.

Friday, May 25, 2007 7:28 PM

Answers

• RC will be out in the next week or so.  We are down to a handful of bugs and then need to do a full test pass and have everyone on the Windows Home Server team sign off on the build. 

We turned off bug and product suggestions to the broad public beta group.  The following people still have access to submit bugs via Microsoft Connect - Microsoft MVPs,  Microsoft Insiders, Hardware partners (OEMs), Software partners (ISVs) and Microsoft employees.  So, over 10,000 people can still submit bugs via Connect, the remaining broad public beta participants can still view all feedback and Vote on their favorites.  We made this decision since the majority of feedback from the broad public beta participants are either product suggestions, duplicates, or incomplete bug reports.    We will also be inviting all of the people that have filled out the survey for getting into the beta since we released CTP - which is over 20,000 more people. 

For people in the broad public beta, please use these forums for highlighting and problems you find in the RC build and I am sure one of the 10,000+ people will make sure that a bug (with detailed repro steps), gets submitted via the Connect site.  Who knows - you might get nominated to be an Microsoft Insider ...

As we roll-out the RC build in the next week or so we will be looking for Data Corruption and Crash bugs.  We have a tremendous number of product suggestions and feature ideas thanks to everyone and we will be focusing on solving any remaining *big* issues that get discovered with the RC build.  All of the suggestions and ideas have gone into the "bit bucket" for future releases.

Thanks for your patience, your testing, and your honest and educational feedback. 

Friday, May 25, 2007 11:41 PM

All replies

• I hope they get it released in the next couple of hours.  My DVD burner at home is iffy, so I'll have to burn the install DVD at work.  If it doesn't get released soon, I'll have to wait until Wednesday to do the install.

Friday, May 25, 2007 7:38 PM
  • Is it supposed to be released today?
    Friday, May 25, 2007 8:36 PM
  • It will be available in the next few days. Today was a possibility, as Microsoft has shut off Connect feedback, and that's usually a sign that things will be available soon. But they've got to get a stable build packaged, ready for download, and staged to all the servers that are used for delivery. So if it's not today, it will be some time next week.
    Friday, May 25, 2007 8:53 PM
  • sound it will be next week, as the day gose by.

And I by mistake, went a head and sign for the beta (I am on the beta), I guess age finally show off Sad

Friday, May 25, 2007 9:03 PM
  • I guess they want us to use this extended weekend to make sure everything's backed up, ready Smile

Sad

Friday, May 25, 2007 9:24 PM
  • Yeah, been there done that. Everything I want backed up that wasn't already is done (with the exception of the system beackups). Lets have it.

Friday, May 25, 2007 9:41 PM
  • LOL!

I thought I was the only one that backed up everything and sat by the keyboard waiting for the new RC to become available. Big Smile

Friday, May 25, 2007 10:15 PM
  • Hehe, you are not alone! Smile

Please, please, deliver the RC1 Wink

Friday, May 25, 2007 10:21 PM
  • Yep, we are all here like lemmings.... And proud of it!
    Friday, May 25, 2007 11:30 PM
  • RC will be out in the next week or so.  We are down to a handful of bugs and then need to do a full test pass and have everyone on the Windows Home Server team sign off on the build. 

We turned off bug and product suggestions to the broad public beta group.  The following people still have access to submit bugs via Microsoft Connect - Microsoft MVPs,  Microsoft Insiders, Hardware partners (OEMs), Software partners (ISVs) and Microsoft employees.  So, over 10,000 people can still submit bugs via Connect, the remaining broad public beta participants can still view all feedback and Vote on their favorites.  We made this decision since the majority of feedback from the broad public beta participants are either product suggestions, duplicates, or incomplete bug reports.    We will also be inviting all of the people that have filled out the survey for getting into the beta since we released CTP - which is over 20,000 more people. 

For people in the broad public beta, please use these forums for highlighting and problems you find in the RC build and I am sure one of the 10,000+ people will make sure that a bug (with detailed repro steps), gets submitted via the Connect site.  Who knows - you might get nominated to be an Microsoft Insider ...

As we roll-out the RC build in the next week or so we will be looking for Data Corruption and Crash bugs.  We have a tremendous number of product suggestions and feature ideas thanks to everyone and we will be focusing on solving any remaining *big* issues that get discovered with the RC build.  All of the suggestions and ideas have gone into the "bit bucket" for future releases.

Thanks for your patience, your testing, and your honest and educational feedback. 

Friday, May 25, 2007 11:41 PM
  • Mr. Headrick,

Is there any "loose" criteria the Home Server team will use to determine insiders?

Steve

Saturday, May 26, 2007 1:20 AM
  • Number of bugs submitted, well documented, reproduceable, good follow-up and no whining :-)
    Saturday, May 26, 2007 6:23 AM
  • Thanks for the update! We all appreciate getting an idea of the timeframe, if only to avoid us whipping each other into a frenzy Smile

We are all, of course, eager to get our hands on RC1 and it's good to hear that you are very close to clearing the last few issues. Hope they don't take long!

Saturday, May 26, 2007 11:52 AM
  • From the blogs, it looks like pretty much everyone is off for the weekend. No RC1 to play with
    Saturday, May 26, 2007 11:55 AM
  • My first reaction to the e-mail saying we can't upgrade to RC1 was "awwww" but then it was a good excuse to buy a couple of new, fast SATA drives to install in my test box.

Looking forward to RC1 next week, thanks to the team for all their hard work.
    Saturday, May 26, 2007 12:42 PM
  • Yeah,

Guess we will have to just enjoy the weekend and continue with "testing as normal"

Saturday, May 26, 2007 2:05 PM
  • Will there be an upgrade path from RC1 to the final product ?
    Saturday, May 26, 2007 10:04 PM
  • According to the e-mail we got, yes rc -> RTM upgrade is supported.

Gordon

Saturday, May 26, 2007 10:11 PM
  • i haven't received an email yet...   :-(    maybe i won't be included

When did you guys get your emails ?

Saturday, May 26, 2007 11:26 PM
  • Mine didn't arrive till Thursday, which was a way after some people got theirs.

If you're on the beta I'd be surprised if you weren't mailed - maybe it's caught in your spam filter? I did almost missed it as the mailbox to which it was sent was not the one where I was expecting it to arrive, and I don't have a rule for that sending address, so it didn't get redirected to the "correct" folder.

Saturday, May 26, 2007 11:42 PM
  • Right i see...  i was not on the beta actually, so maybe i will miss out.

cheers

Sunday, May 27, 2007 12:47 AM
  • vvulture,

I don't see it right now, but orignally all you had to do was fill out a survey to get an invite. Got to this link and see if there is a way for you to do that.

https://connect.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer

Then you can eagerly await RC1 Deployment like the rest of us.

Sunday, May 27, 2007 4:11 AM
  • Thanks Steve,

I'm pretty sure that's where i entered my details originally.  I did it again just to be sure.

Thank you

Sunday, May 27, 2007 4:41 AM
  • Make sure you also register with the Connect website. It's kinda funny that way, you needto register twice. Once for the home server beta and once for connect. I imagine you have already done this but just thought I would point it out just in case.

Sunday, May 27, 2007 5:09 AM
  • Well i just use my LiveID to login.   Is that enough ?

cheers

Sunday, May 27, 2007 5:46 AM
  • If you have registered on connect and for the beta, then you should be receiving an invitation when the RC hits.

I believe that T. Headrick from the WHS team indicated in his post above that they will be sending invitations to the remaining applicants.

Sunday, May 27, 2007 5:48 AM
  •  PrincessNybor wrote:
    If you have registered on connect and for the beta, then you should be receiving an invitation to when the RC hits.

I believe that T. Headrick from the WHS team indicated in his post above that they will be sending invitations to the remaining applicants.

Cool...   i hope i get in..  :-)

Sunday, May 27, 2007 6:28 AM
  • Yay, just finished backing up all my music & videos on the Home Server.

I'm just curious, what is the big deal the RC1 release? I'm just as keen as the next guy to install the RC package, but whats the big deal?

Hopefully there won't be as many reboots when I install this one, (just when you think she's finished & you can start playing around with her, she slaps you in the face & says she is not ready yet)

Thorn

Sunday, May 27, 2007 7:17 AM
  •  ThornyCrown wrote:

Yay, just finished backing up all my music & videos on the Home Server.

I'm just curious, what is the big deal the RC1 release? I'm just as keen as the next guy to install the RC package, but whats the big deal?

Hopefully there won't be as many reboots when I install this one, (just when you think she's finished & you can start playing around with her, she slaps you in the face & says she is not ready yet)

Thorn

Well for me, the big deal is that you can install RC1 and know that you have the option to upgrade to RTM /Final when released, without having to re-install everything.

At least thats how i understand it....

Sunday, May 27, 2007 7:35 AM
  • Hi Thorn,

The big deal is that (in theory), the RC release could be final if no big showstopping bugs are found. It should be feature complete (if the CTP wasn't), and ready to ship!

Now, experience tells me that a few things often crop up which require an RC2 release before shipping, but we'll see....!

Terry

Sunday, May 27, 2007 7:42 AM
  • I think that the main reason that a full install is required is because the system partition (C: drive) will be 20GB instead of 10, so the only sensible thing to do is reprep the system.
    Sunday, May 27, 2007 11:36 AM
  • Any sign of a release yet?
    Friday, June 1, 2007 10:55 PM
  • Doesn't look like it.....
    Friday, June 1, 2007 11:09 PM
  •  mindriot wrote:
    Any sign of a release yet?

http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1679504&SiteID=50

This thread has a message from Charlie Kendall concerning RC1's release.  It does not tell us when but cek respectully tells us that the WHS Team is working very hard to get it to us as soon as it is ready.

Saturday, June 2, 2007 1:48 PM
  • I just wanted to quote the whole post. Here it is

cek 

Posts 45
    Answer Re: RC 1's arrival
    Was this post helpful ?

MASH007 wrote:
    I dont like being left in the dark.

At least give us a date on when you'll announce RC1 will be released. Give us something to look forward to. Throw us a bone.

We will release the RC when we beleive it is done. Not before.

A lot of people got the impression that it's release was imminent when we posted the message warning people about the upgrade limitation. I am sorry that people got that impression becuase that was not our intent. We were simply trying to be respectful of our beta test community by giving people fair warning of an issue that might impact them. 

My team is working very hard to get the RC to you. You'll note that I am typing this message at 10:15pm PST on a Friday night. I am at my desk at Microsoft...that should tell you something about how hard we are working. 

I really wish I could pin down a specific date. But we will not ship the RC until it is ready. RC means "Release Candidate" and my team takes that definition very seriously.

Thank you again for your passion and support for this product!

-cek

Windows Home Server Team

Saturday, June 2, 2007 8:40 PM
  • I'd rather they take their time and di it right, plus it gave me time to back up all my data. My external drive came today and i just finished backing up a ton of movies, music, photos and other assorted files.
    Saturday, June 2, 2007 10:39 PM
  • Well I was hoping that they would put it up right after the down time.  Oh well I guess we will all get it when we least expect itSmile

-T

Sunday, June 3, 2007 5:34 AM
  • QFT.

It'd be really annoying to install the release candidate and find out that the recovery CD still erases your data and then fails to restore the backup. If it's going to take them a few more days to fix that for the RC, then so be it.

Although, it is rather disheartening that my feedback on this issue is -still- listed as Active...

Sunday, June 3, 2007 11:13 AM
  • I have been waiting for the RC1 because all this time I have not been runnning the CTP, but instead have been running the previous version. That would explain all the problems. And since I've got some free time I'm going to install the CTP instead of waiting for the RC1 to reinstall.

Sice the RC1 will have a system partition of 20 gig, I might try and find a 20 gig drive that I might be able to find lying around!

Will there be any problems with the CTP if I make the sys par 20 gig instead of it's desired 10 gig, (save having to transfer all of my movies & music back over again!)

Well done to the WHS Team you are truly legends in a league of your own! Keep up the extraordinary work guys & gals!

Thorn!

Sunday, June 3, 2007 12:27 PM
  • Thorn, I would expect that you'll still have a requirement for an 80 GB system drive, because the system partition and the primary data partition go on that drive. WHS isn't likely to install on a 20 GB drive.

As for resizing the system partition, I seem to recall (but can't find the forum threads right now) that some people who did that were successful, but not everyone.
    Sunday, June 3, 2007 12:42 PM
  • sbleven Thank you for your reply.

CTP is a great release and I am having no problems with it. I cant wait to see RC1 but am not in any rush. Please take your time and we will continue to look forward to it being released.

Thanks for the update, its nice to know that the home server team is still reading the threads.

Dawg.

Sunday, June 3, 2007 2:07 PM
  • Lets just let the whs team do their jobs we will get RC1 when they are good and ready to release it Smile
    Sunday, June 3, 2007 2:26 PM
  • My first Post :-)

First of all... WHS Team good job on the current release of the software.  Not had any problems with it so far, hence why this is my first post.

Take your time with the RC1 release, I'm in no rush atm to do a new install as I'm waiting for the Netgear Eva8000 to be released/available.  Once I get my hands on that kit and RC1, expect some feedback :-)

Keep Up the good work

Plantboy

Monday, June 4, 2007 6:45 PM
  • Just an aside but the Eva8000 is available.

-T

Monday, June 4, 2007 6:51 PM
  • Not here in the UK, it isn't! Still a few weeks out - a lot of the online stores have it listed, but they're all out of stock.

(Waiting for one of these puppies myself!)

Terry

Monday, June 4, 2007 7:52 PM
  • I know this is off topic but i gotta chime in here...

I got my EVA8000 about a month ago and the combination of that with WHS is a dream come true. Total Geek Heaven!

Just make sure when you get your Netgear box, you sign up in their forums and join the beta forum for firmware updates, it makes a hell of a difference. They are averaging a new build every two weeks and the features that are being added (alot by our suggestion) is phenominal. I have a fairly large library of media and i am truely blown away by the EVA's capabilities.

Bottom Line.. EVA8000 + WHS = Digital Orgasm!

Thomas Ainlay wrote:

Just an aside but the Eva8000 is available.

-T

Monday, June 4, 2007 8:54 PM
  • I'd love to buy one of those! I'm just trying to decide between the EVA 8000 & an XBox 360!

Thorn

Tuesday, June 5, 2007 11:07 AM
  • Answer: Get both

Terry

Tuesday, June 5, 2007 11:17 AM
  •  Terry Walsh wrote:

Answer: Get both

Terry

Ha ha, wouldn't that be nice!

Although one little problem.......... (insert picture of my wife shooting me!)

And the 360 and EVA can't do what I wont be getting for a long time! Women....hmmph!

Thorn

Tuesday, June 5, 2007 2:43 PM
  •  ThornyCrown wrote:
     Terry Walsh wrote:

Answer: Get both

Terry

Ha ha, wouldn't that be nice!

Although one little problem.......... (insert picture of my wife shooting me!)

And the 360 and EVA can't do what I wont be getting for a long time! Women....hmmph!

Thorn

Thorn,

This is where you join that programming contest Microsoft is having to program stuff for WHS.  Just think of it:

Wife comes back from long day at work.  Her entry via your family keycard starts an application on WHS you've programmed just for her that starts drawing scented water for a bath, dims the lights, lights the candles, starts the oven cooking the romantic dinner you've planned (alright, it starts the microwave -- we are guys, aren't we?) and starts EVA playing some Barry White.

I don't care if someone programs WHS to run nuclear reactors or gets it to organize world peace -- THAT'S the application that will win, because it's so blessedly useful.

Oh, and while Barry is crooning his luuuvv songs, maybe WHS can insert a subliminal message saying "Buy him the 360.  Buy him the 360."

Hey, I'm just saying, you know... 

Tuesday, June 5, 2007 2:55 PM
  • hot piece of hardware, i will be picking on eof these up... shame they didn't make it gigabit ethernet, as I have my house wired for cat 6 and run everything gigabit at the moment.  otherwise this is an outstanding piece!
    Tuesday, June 5, 2007 3:37 PM
  • What speeds do you get over Gigabit? Whats the cable length limit?

Thorn

P.S. If only there was a program that could do all that!

Tuesday, June 5, 2007 3:44 PM
  • It is much more sensible to get a HTPC over an EVA8000. I have bought a $400 HTPC and I couldn't be satisfied more! There are things you can do on your computer that cant be done on anything else.

PS: I love my 360.

Tuesday, June 5, 2007 4:28 PM
  • I have pulled my server to bits and one area I forgot to test was network speed.

is any one using Diskwriggler and can post the RW logs for gigabit.

Thanks

Tuesday, June 5, 2007 5:38 PM
  • It's so hard to be patient for RC1. We are all so eager to try out the new sotware.

Could the livenode update be an indication that we are getting close?

Wednesday, June 6, 2007 4:36 AM
  • I just want the rc release so I can tear down the server, put in the bigger HDs, reinstall and restore data with the fair confidence that I won't have to reinstall again for a while(bugs permitting)

OK it's not the RTM, but will be close.
    Wednesday, June 6, 2007 9:58 AM
  •  sbleven wrote:

Could the livenode update be an indication that we are getting close?

Personally I don't think so, it's an external (to WHS) service although it seems to be for a platform upgrade, this in turn could be to support the anticipated demand of all the new beta testers ( I'm sure I read another 20,000 have applied for RC1).

RC1 will come when it's ready. I'm as keen as the next guy to see it, but it's a significant step in the development cycle for the WHS team and they need to get it right. I'm sure they are looking forward to not working into the night every night to sort the remaining problems, and looking forward to the launch party .

Gordon

Wednesday, June 6, 2007 11:35 AM
  • Just curious.... Does your HTPC have HDMI and Optical DTS outputs?
    Wednesday, June 6, 2007 12:14 PM
  • I her ya Gordon.

Just looking forward to the release. I want to have a few problems with the new release as you do, so I guess I also want them to take their time and get it right. We all know, a week into testing there will be all kinds of complaining if things don't go smooth.

That said, can we get it yet? Please, please, please!

Wednesday, June 6, 2007 5:05 PM
  • I'm assuming that if you get a email to download the CTP you will get one for the RC1?

Wednesday, June 6, 2007 10:32 PM
  • Hi people,

I thought I posted it here. I am trying to submit a feedback on a possible bug I found ( I looked around could not find it)

But it's telling me I need to enrole the beta to be able to submit feedbacks?

Could anyone tell me why I can't submit them. I am enroled how else was I able to download rc1.

Btw I love home server it looks so great and easy to use.

Wednesday, June 13, 2007 11:16 PM