Resource Usage view Showing Resources Overallocated when they are not RRS feed

• Question

• I am on Project Server 2010 SP2 with Feb 2014 CU. I have an user who has a schedule that is showing a resource that is showing over allocated in the resource usage view but they have less than an hour in any given day. Has anyone seen this? Is this a bug or a corrupted file?

Thank you.

Thursday, April 17, 2014 5:28 PM

Answers

• When select the "week by week" granularity and validating, it will NOT do any leveling on your project plan, but just adjust the way Project Pro detects overallocations and thus displays the "red guy".

It's thus worth trying it!

Guillaume Rouyre - MBA, MCP, MCTS

• Marked as answer by Michael W Thursday, April 17, 2014 6:01 PM
    Thursday, April 17, 2014 5:58 PM

All replies

• Hi Michael,

Before concluding that the file is corrupted, you have to check a couple of points:

has the user selected the checkbox "load summary resource assignments" when choosing the Project Server connection while starting MS Project Pro. Selecting this option will load all assignments on all projects from the server, which might show a resource as over-allocated due to other projects assignments whereas the resource is correctly assigned on the current project. See reference here.

The second parameter to check is in the leveling options: the "look for overallocation on a .... basis" will trigger on which granularity project displays resources as overallocated (the red guy next to the assignment). A resource can be overallocated on a day (more than 8hrs) whereas it is correctly allocated on a weekly basis (less than 40hrs).

Hope this helps.

Thursday, April 17, 2014 5:36 PM
  • Hi Guillaume,

I believe my issue is with the second parameter you mentioned above. The file had a leveling calculation of manual and "day by day" basis. If I change it to "week by week" basis, when I click on OK will it do any leveling of my tasks? or will it just remove the red guys and over allactions?

Thank you

Michael

Thursday, April 17, 2014 5:54 PM
  • When select the "week by week" granularity and validating, it will NOT do any leveling on your project plan, but just adjust the way Project Pro detects overallocations and thus displays the "red guy".

It's thus worth trying it!

• Marked as answer by Michael W Thursday, April 17, 2014 6:01 PM
    Thursday, April 17, 2014 5:58 PM
  • Thank you!
    Thursday, April 17, 2014 6:03 PM