How to send reminder email in crm 2011 Online ?!! RRS feed

• Question

• Hi ,

what is the best way to send reminder email to the owner of the opportunity  reminding them about the opportunity close date ?!! 

Thanks.

Friday, December 7, 2012 9:34 AM

Answers

• Hi Pradeep,

You should create a workflow which would check all the oppurtnities daily so that you can send reminder for only those oppurtunities which are going to close b4 1 day .

1)You create a workflow on create of oppurtunitiy, which checks the oppurtunity closed date

2) In second step send email if it is 1 day b4

3)Next step in ur workflow is to make the process wait for 24 hours then call the same workflow has child workflow

Follow the below link which describes u how to perform the above trick

Click Here

OR

Follow the tool in Codeplex which may be helpful

http://workflowautomation.codeplex.com/

• Marked as answer by Pradeep47 Thursday, December 20, 2012 9:51 AM
    Friday, December 7, 2012 11:06 AM

All replies

• Hi Pradeep,

You can create a workflow which will trigger on create of the Opportunity and on update of the Opportunity closer date.
    In workflow set the wait condition as Timeout Until as the Opportunity closer date. Then check the condition if opportunity is still opened , send the reminder mail. 

So on opportunity Creation workflow will trigger and it will wait till the closer date and if opportunity is still open, workflow will send an email.
    If you update closer date, then again the workflow will trigger and it will wait till the closer date and if opportunity is still open, workflow will send an email.

I hope this helps. If my response answered your question, please mark the response as an answer and also vote as helpful !!!

Chandan

Friday, December 7, 2012 9:51 AM
  • Hi Pradeep,

You should create a workflow which would check all the oppurtnities daily so that you can send reminder for only those oppurtunities which are going to close b4 1 day .

1)You create a workflow on create of oppurtunitiy, which checks the oppurtunity closed date

2) In second step send email if it is 1 day b4

3)Next step in ur workflow is to make the process wait for 24 hours then call the same workflow has child workflow

Follow the below link which describes u how to perform the above trick

Click Here

OR

Follow the tool in Codeplex which may be helpful

http://workflowautomation.codeplex.com/

• Marked as answer by Pradeep47 Thursday, December 20, 2012 9:51 AM
    Friday, December 7, 2012 11:06 AM
  • Thanks !!  

If I create this workflow On-change of estimated closedate, every time user changes/postpones the est. closedate, a workflow  will be triggered, resulting in multiple emails creation. I understand "TimeOut" process would re-activates itself on event end date first time and every timethis wont' help me in stopping multiple email being sent. can you guys confirm this please. 

I can't schedule the workflows too.. since estimated close date range can vary from one to another opportunity. there is no definite date as such. 

• Edited by Pradeep47 Friday, December 7, 2012 11:56 AM
    Friday, December 7, 2012 11:44 AM
  • Hi guys,

I don't believe "10" minutes(or 1 hour) of inactivity  for the recurrent workflows is still a valid number. I once tried this approach for a worfklow that ran every 2 hours, and, even though it was that infrequent(compared to 10 minutes mentioned in the blog posts), it still got cancelled by CRM at some point. It's easy to miss, though, when talking about 24 hour intervals (since you won't spot the problem until weeks later - the workflow may run fine for a number of days, and, then, get terminated by CRM). 

Would love to see a reference to msdn regarding specific numbers..

PS. Anyway, in my case I ended up with a scheduled console app running on the server.

Alex Shlega, GotchaHunter.Net

Friday, December 7, 2012 2:15 PM
  • Hi Pradeep

Follow the tool "Workflow Automation" which is used to schedule workflow

Monday, December 10, 2012 4:37 AM
  • @Alex Shlega that's exactly what I had in my mind, scheduling a console application is the best idea. However we are using CRM Online. we don't have a physical server in local and what worries about scheduling workflow is the CRM's inbuilt loop detection mechanism , which would cancel the processes that  would create infinite loops as scheduling workflow ! anyway.. Ill try   workflow automation tool and check..  
    • Edited by Pradeep47 Monday, December 10, 2012 6:23 AM
    Monday, December 10, 2012 6:18 AM
  • Hi Pradeep,

You can send reminder by this way also.

1. Create one custom entity having one date time field.

2. Fire one workflow on update of the date time field to update that field itself (to make it recursive) after 12 or 6 hours based on your criteria.

3. On update of that field fire one plugin which will create email record for opportunities which needs to send reminder. Or you can initiate reminder workflow for those opportunities.

Hope it helps!

Thanks

Suresh

• Proposed as answer by Kanchan Sarkar Monday, December 10, 2012 11:46 AM
    Monday, December 10, 2012 7:58 AM
  • Hi Pradeep,

Those console apps can run just fine on the smallest instance of azure virtual machine - that's about $20-30  per month(yes, we use CRM online as well)

Alex Shlega, GotchaHunter.Net

Monday, December 10, 2012 12:53 PM