Why is Microsoft discontinuing Windows Live One Care, RRS feed

• General discussion

• I recieved an e-mail saying it will be discontinued in 6 months....Was it just a bad program or was it just not selling?  I've never had any problems with it.
    Tuesday, May 26, 2009 5:00 PM

All replies

• One Care is not a bad program and while I don't know how many subscribers there are i don't think sales volume was an issue. I think if you look forward both Vista and Windows 7 have many One Care features built in to the operating system. Add to that the fact that Microsoft plans to release a free antimalware application later this year and it becomes difficult to see where One Care would fit in.
    Jim - MVP Windows Live - Forum Moderator - Live One Care - Live Mesh
    Tuesday, May 26, 2009 5:31 PM
  • To add to what Jim already mentioned, OneCare both didn't get as wide distribution as Microsoft had hoped, since they still believe that approximately 60% of Windows based computers have no current antivirus product installed, for whatever reason.

In order to remove as many roadblocks as possible for their customers to protect themselves, they will be providing the free anti-malware product that Jim mentioned later this year.  Along with being a free and complete anti-malware it is intended to be as lean on use of PC resources as possible, so those with limited memory or processing power including the new netbook systems that are becoming popular will also find it effective protection for such systems.

So it's less how well it sells than how widely protected their customers are, since that was really their goal all along.  This goes back to statements made by both Bill Gates and Steve Ballmer near the beginning of the Trustworthy Computing initiatives several years ago, at the time Microsoft originally purchased the antivirus and antispyware companies that eventually became OneCare, Windows Defender and the Microsoft Malicious Software Removal Tool.

OneCareBear
    Windows OneCare Forum Moderator
    Wednesday, May 27, 2009 8:48 PM