Transactions by Category RRS feed

• Question

• I have been using MS money for years and all of a sudden the Transactions by Category report does not load, it just reverts back to the main report screen. Any ideas.

I am using version 14

Thanks

Monday, March 17, 2014 8:29 AM

Answers

• Thanks you so much for this idea. I found a backup file (luckily only 2 wks old) which does not have the report problem. I loaded my corrupt file onto my laptop, old file into my main money, and went through updating it all. Now it work perfect! Who knows what caused my reports to stop working, but its now back to normal. Thanks again for you help, much appreciated!

A rule to all, backup regularly :) glad I do.

Wednesday, March 19, 2014 2:19 PM

All replies

• If you are willing to lose customized reports, from the reports page, click  ResetReports.
    Also consider File->RepairMoneyFile->StandardFileRepair level 1.
    Monday, March 17, 2014 2:14 PM
  • Thanks for the ideas.

I cannot access the report page to reset it, this is the problem.

I have repaired the file twice, no change. This is strange and see a few people online with the same problem, but no solution.

Monday, March 17, 2014 2:29 PM
  • I should have said that you could try Reports->ReportsGallery->ResetReports

Did you do a level 1 repair? Note that in doing the repairs, you should choose a different filename for the repaired file. If so, maybe do a level 2 in addition to the level 1.

You should probably review your backup policy. By having more than one vintage of backup file, you could have a backup that pre-dates some corruption from creeping into your file.

Monday, March 17, 2014 2:52 PM
  • I cannot find ReportsGallery->ResetReports.

I have done both repair with different file names and nothing works. It is no big deal, just bugs me that I don't know why and when it has stopped working.

Thanks again for the help

Monday, March 17, 2014 6:33 PM
  • It would bug me too. While the interface of Money 2005 and the later US versions are similar, there are differences. I guess that report resetting was added in 2006 version.

Copy "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Money 2005\MNYCoreFiles\Sample.mny" to your Documents folder, and try opening that copy. If it behaves well, the problem is probably something in your file.  :-(

If it misbehaves, that is good. Then reinstalling Money 2005 using the link in  the second posting in this forum may fix your situation.

Regarding getting to reports, you can add an icon. Click Shortcuts at the top and add Reports as a
    shortcut to make navigation shorter.

Monday, March 17, 2014 8:22 PM
  • I had a look in the files and C:\Program Files\Microsoft Money 2005\MNYCoreFiles\Sample.mny does not exist. Is this due to the version I am using?
    Monday, March 17, 2014 10:02 PM
  • I love MS money and will always use it but I wish they had not stopped developing such a great product, such a shame.
    Monday, March 17, 2014 10:03 PM
  • It's there.   For some perverse reason, MS has designated that folder as a systems folder.  So to find it you must go in Windows Explorer to Tools > Folder Options > View > Files and Folders and UNCHECK the box that says Hide Protected Files and Folders (Recommended).  Ignore the warning messages.  You can now find the MNYCoreFiles folder and its contents.  Be sure to recheck the Hide Protected Files and Folders box when you are finished.  Alternatively, you can search for MNYCorefiles using the search box in the Start menu or in Windows Explorer.
    Tuesday, March 18, 2014 5:34 PM
  • Tuesday, March 18, 2014 6:46 PM
  • As you can see from the above screen shot I cannot find this file.
    Tuesday, March 18, 2014 6:46 PM
  • Simplest thing is to do a search for sample.mny in either the start menu or windows explorer search box.
    Tuesday, March 18, 2014 7:00 PM
  • Ok I found it (just). The report works in the sample file so I presume that something in my file is at fault. Any idea of what to do now I have tried the repair. If only I could find a way to reset the report without opening it?
    Tuesday, March 18, 2014 7:55 PM
  • I have never found 'File repair' to be much use, and you have already told us it didn't work for you.

Without doubt the best course of action is to restore a backup made before your working file became corrupted. Remember that once the working file has become corrupted, making a backup (of it) will make a backup of the corruption. You may have overwritten your last good backup - that is why it is so important to retain more than 1 backup - but hopefully you have, and will be able to restore, an older backup.

Very old backups seem pretty useless to me - there would be too much data to re-enter before they are brought up to date. I simply use 7 backups, named: 1 - Monday, 2 - Tuesday, ... thro .... 7 - Sunday and simply choose 'Today', whatever that is, at the point when I close my working ***.mny file.  

Teabag

Wednesday, March 19, 2014 10:19 AM
  • There is an alternative: QIF Export and Import. There is a methodology to use, so if you want to try that, let us know. If you had a 1-year old backup file, there is a hybrid way: do the export of the several files from the new corrupted file, edit out all of the transactions that precede those in the old backup, restore the old backup, and Import the edited QIF files all at once.

If doing a full QIF Export and Import to a new file, you could even import into the US Money Plus Deluxe Sunset. It has some advantages including the ability to keep the latest (up to) 99 upon-exit backups and the latest scheduled backups. You could have the scheduled backups back up to a USB flash drive or maybe Microsoft OneDrive every two weeks (you choose the frequency), and you could have a collection of vintage backups. While you can choose up to 99, the default is 4.

You could use a different computer to see if you like the results of QIF Export and Import.

Wednesday, March 19, 2014 2:01 PM
  • Thanks you so much for this idea. I found a backup file (luckily only 2 wks old) which does not have the report problem. I loaded my corrupt file onto my laptop, old file into my main money, and went through updating it all. Now it work perfect! Who knows what caused my reports to stop working, but its now back to normal. Thanks again for you help, much appreciated!

A rule to all, backup regularly :) glad I do.

Wednesday, March 19, 2014 2:19 PM
  • Good to hear.

Teabag

Thursday, March 20, 2014 4:57 PM