Restrict to install ActiveX RRS feed

• Question

•  

I have not downloaded "Windows SteadyState" yet, because I would like to know if I can Block all ActiveX and Install those that I'm interested.

I've did read the Windows SteadyState Handbook http://news.swzone.it/link.php?action=h&id=16082 But I did not see anything about blocking ActiveX Controls.

I'm interested in that to avoid Virus, Troyans and other harmful things for the computer.

Sunday, September 16, 2007 5:52 PM

Answers

•  

Hi Abasilis,

Internet Explorer already has options to control ActiveX Control. You can find it with the following steps:

1. Click Start and then Run.

2. Type in inetcpl.cpl and press Enter.

3. Click Security tab, click Internet and then Custom Level…

4. Under ActiveX control and plug-ins, configure their settings as you like.

Note: We can click the Reset button to reset all the configurations.

5. Click OK.

Please understand that virus and Trojan will spread with several ways such as websites and email, etc. Even you have ActiveX Contr4ol configured properly, security programs are still required in most circs.

In addition, you can protect the computer with Windows Disk Protection (WDP) of SteadyState. It will restore the system to the previous saved working state. In this way, the influence of virus will be mitigated.

Best Regards,

Tuesday, September 18, 2007 6:40 AM
  • SteadyState doesn't have options to block the installation of ActiveX Controls.

I completely understand your concerns. We did not include this feature in SteadyState due to the following considerations:

1. IE has already have this feature. You may consider using the IE configuration to block the installation.

2. Only Administrators have privilege to install ActiveX control. You can create restricted user accounts for public use and these users can only use the installed ActiveX Controls.

Regards,

Wednesday, September 19, 2007 8:45 AM

All replies

•  

Hi Abasilis,

Internet Explorer already has options to control ActiveX Control. You can find it with the following steps:

1. Click Start and then Run.

2. Type in inetcpl.cpl and press Enter.

3. Click Security tab, click Internet and then Custom Level…

4. Under ActiveX control and plug-ins, configure their settings as you like.

Note: We can click the Reset button to reset all the configurations.

5. Click OK.

Please understand that virus and Trojan will spread with several ways such as websites and email, etc. Even you have ActiveX Contr4ol configured properly, security programs are still required in most circs.

In addition, you can protect the computer with Windows Disk Protection (WDP) of SteadyState. It will restore the system to the previous saved working state. In this way, the influence of virus will be mitigated.

Best Regards,

Tuesday, September 18, 2007 6:40 AM
  • Thanks shawn!!

I really wanted to know if I could do it with this tool, because I have a Internet cafe and you know how tricky are some users.

Tuesday, September 18, 2007 3:25 PM
  • SteadyState doesn't have options to block the installation of ActiveX Controls.

I completely understand your concerns. We did not include this feature in SteadyState due to the following considerations:

1. IE has already have this feature. You may consider using the IE configuration to block the installation.

2. Only Administrators have privilege to install ActiveX control. You can create restricted user accounts for public use and these users can only use the installed ActiveX Controls.

Regards,

Wednesday, September 19, 2007 8:45 AM