How safe is my "server backup hard drive" and other data for an upgrade from WHS? RRS feed

• Question

• One of the things that I like about WHS is the way that it handles drives.  I really like having a host drive isolated and managed as a backup drive for the host.

But how safe is this drive?  For example, I am due to upgrade my trial addition to the OEM edition and this is a reinstallation of a kind.  You lose the users, for example.  I think I understand that my shares are protected in the upgrade, but that I should always backup the server anyway.  I believe that I have done that with my "server backup hard drive".  I also think I understand that this is not a backup like Automated System Recovery.

Will my upgrade to OEM protect this server backup drive?  What about some other kind of upgrade to, say, another of Microsoft's servers like the Small Business Edition 2003?  Will this drive be protected?  What about the shares?

Any and all tips or clues would be appreciated.
    Monday, February 2, 2009 7:50 PM

Answers

• Upgrades of Windows Home Server to some other operating system are, as has been explained to you elsewhere, unsupported and unlikely to provide the results you want.

Your server backup drive should be recognized as such when you connect it to a Windows Home Server computer, and will allow you to restore any shares backed up to it. For a reinstallation, it's normally not required to do a backup. It's not a bad idea, though, because some users with less vanilla configurations have had problems with the reinstallation process.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, February 2, 2009 8:46 PM

All replies

• Upgrades of Windows Home Server to some other operating system are, as has been explained to you elsewhere, unsupported and unlikely to provide the results you want.

Your server backup drive should be recognized as such when you connect it to a Windows Home Server computer, and will allow you to restore any shares backed up to it. For a reinstallation, it's normally not required to do a backup. It's not a bad idea, though, because some users with less vanilla configurations have had problems with the reinstallation process.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, February 2, 2009 8:46 PM
  • Ken Warren said:

Right.  It's not a bad idea.  This is what I am asking.  Does the server backup drive qualify as such a backup?
    Monday, February 2, 2009 10:24 PM