Image degradation when stitching RRS feed

• Question

• I really love the way ICE merges photos but I noticed the output looked a little harsh.  Then I looked at some lettering in a 4 shot panorama and realised the lettering was all pixelated.  I thought it might be a converter issue because of importing directly from RAW so I exported to TIFF and then stitched and got same result.  As the pano was a fairly even left to right sweep I tried stitching using a stitcher bundled with a memory card (Arcsoft Panorama 4)  and got a much less pixelated result. Is this loss of quality normal or have I got a setting wrong somewhere? Both these images are crops, both have been captured using the win 7 snipping tool and so are jpegs not tiff but you can hopefully see the quality difference even so.

Tuesday, March 20, 2012 9:41 AM

All replies

• This is surprising.  It sounds like you've checked all of the obvious things, but I will list here just in case.

Is this the preview result or the exported result?  The preview result is lower resolution, you only get max res in the export.

Are you outputing at 100% scale?

Tuesday, March 20, 2012 10:50 PM
  • It was exported result and output to 100% scale.  

Re ran with RAW import again and got same pixelated result on export (and only a 36mb file).  

Got some out of memory errors when loading the 5 images as tiff and then exporting so I dropped back to the default 512 max memory limit.  That made the export slow down but it stopped getting those pesky out of memory errors and a 280mb tiff file resulted with normal pixelation (yipee).

So it appears there may be a RAW import issue and maybe that, or using more memory, muddled my last TIFF import/export  result.  Either way pixelation on tiff export with tiff input now seems good - now I just have to decide what to do with a 280mb Tiff file :-)

thanks Matt

Wednesday, March 21, 2012 12:20 AM
  • This sounds like an issue with the RAW codec not giving the full size input image.  Do you know which RAW codec you are using.  Our recommendations are here: http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/um/redmond/groups/ivm/ice/codecs.htm

Wednesday, March 21, 2012 2:34 AM