Anti-virus Scan Taking Too Long RRS feed

• Question

• I have a Dell Inspirion 5100 laptop (XP Pro, 2.66 Ghz P4, 1Gb RAM, with 32 of 55 GB hard drive is taken).  I've had OneCare 1.0 since last year which has worked fine.  2.0 was just loaded.  A virus scan started yesterday, taking up 100% of my processor for several hours.  I cancelled and re-scheduled it for the evening assuming it would complete during the night.  The subsequent scan started last night at 10pm and here it is 10 hours later and the scan is still going.  There's no % complete to let me know where it is.  I'm trying to convince myself that 2.0 is just performing a thorough, complete initial scan but I'm concerned - is this normal?

Monday, January 14, 2008 12:57 PM

Answers

All replies

• I have the same issue with OneCare 2.0. The scan runs and runs, and runs for hours with no % complete. Have you recieved a fix for this issue?

Monday, January 14, 2008 6:57 PM
  • No, that wouldn't be normal. See if this thread helps - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2008959&SiteID=2

If not, please contact support.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve
    Monday, January 14, 2008 7:01 PM
  • Yes that thread helped.  Much more than the support Chat folks who kept trying to convince me that I had a disk error!  I disabled both PEER services and the CPU% dropped like a rock.  The virus scan then completed in 45 minutes.  I went to my other home computer that has OneCare on it and, after noticing its CPU was all spun up as well, disabled the same two PEER services and the CPU% dropped to non-existent as well.

From reading the other thread, I take it that OneCare 2.0 installed/enabled those services during installation and that this problem will be fixed in a subsequent OneCare release.  Is that correct?

Also, when I reboot, those PEER services are turned back on.  The other thread said to uninstall them to keep them off but I'm concerned that will cause other services/applications (especially OneCare) to be unavailable.  Can you give a recommendation Steve?

Thanks for all your help.

Monday, January 14, 2008 9:12 PM
  • My understanding is that removing the services should not affect anything on your system. And, yes, a future update is supposed to resolve this problem.

Glad that it helped!

-steve

Tuesday, January 15, 2008 2:31 AM
  • OK - I removed Peer-to-Peer services from "Add/Remove Windows Components" and it seems to be working fine.  One note; I hadn't rebooted either machine since I turned the PEER services off yesterday and when I went back in to remove those services today, I noticed on both machines that both PEER services had turned back on.

Thanks again.

Tuesday, January 15, 2008 2:57 PM