Microsoft Dynamics CRM 4.0 - Load Balancing RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I need to confirm something,

I want to configure a Network Load Balancing Cluster for my Dynamics CRM 4.0 servers.

We have 2 servers where we install Microsoft Dynamics CRM 4.0 and configure NLB.

SSRS, SQL and Exchange are on seperate servers. 

1) Can I install Application Server roles AND Plateform Server roles on both servers? Plateform Server probably cant run on multiple servers... 
    2) Can I install the Microsoft Dynamics CRM Email Router on one of these servers?... The server load will not be the same on both servers if I do that... Any ideas?

In the implementation guide, i read:

When you install Microsoft Dynamics CRM, you have the following three choices for load balancing the Microsoft Dynamics CRM Web application, where both servers in the network load-balancing (NLB) cluster must have the following server-group roles or individual server roles installed.

·         Full-server install (typical install).

·         Application-server role group install (custom install).

·         Server role install (command-line install by using an XML configuration file). You will have to install at least the following two roles on the load-balanced servers in the cluster.

o        AppServer (application server role). This Microsoft Dynamics CRM server role is used to run the Web-application server that is used to connect users to Microsoft Dynamics CRM data.

o        SDKServer (Microsoft Dynamics CRM SDK server role). This Microsoft Dynamics CRM server role is used to run applications that use the methods described in the Microsoft Dynamics CRM SDK.

Wednesday, December 17, 2008 7:40 PM

Answers

• I don't recall off the top of my if the Async server is part of the platform.  I think it is.

To answer your 2nd question, when the Async service is deployed to multiple servers they all check the same "queue" for jobs to complete.  When a service takes it, it is flagged in the database so the other services don't also take it.  Every Async service instance polls the same table for new jobs.

Friday, December 19, 2008 12:15 AM

All replies

• This is hard to explain without a whiteboard but I'll try Smile

You can separate the application from the platform and put them both in load balanced environments however I would not recommend this for performance reasons.  if for example you plan to seperate the application layer to 2 servers and the platform to 2 servers, the latency between the constant chatter of the application and platform would degrade performance because the application would have to go through a load balancer to get to the platform + latency across the wire.

The better solution would be to have 4 servers all running the application and platform.  This way there is no network latency between the application to platform and you have 4 servers to manage the load.

Your second question about the email is another yes.  You will just need to point CRM to it that servers specific address.
    Wednesday, December 17, 2008 10:21 PM
  • Hi Ross, 

Thanks for your reply.

Theres something that is confusing me...

The Asynchronous Services, is included in the Platform roles? Am I right?

How does it work, when you have this service running on multiple, load balanced servers?

Thanks!!!
    Thursday, December 18, 2008 2:41 PM
  • I don't recall off the top of my if the Async server is part of the platform.  I think it is.

To answer your 2nd question, when the Async service is deployed to multiple servers they all check the same "queue" for jobs to complete.  When a service takes it, it is flagged in the database so the other services don't also take it.  Every Async service instance polls the same table for new jobs.

Friday, December 19, 2008 12:15 AM