none
converting MS Money v 14 to MSmoney 2008 RRS feed

• Question

• I have MS Money Verion 14.0.120.1105
    I have been using it for the past 4 years

now due to the termonation of MS Money, I am forced to migrat to Quicken

I was in contact with Quicken support who advised me that before I start try to migrate to Quicken, I must convert the fiel I have to MS Money 2007 or 2008

I have successfully installed MS Money 2008
    tried many times to open the file using MS Money 2008; I always get the message:

Money can't open the file because it was created using a different version
    of Money

I also tried opening the Back up file; I get the same result.

I need clear and working solution to Convert my MS Money version 14 to Quicken. I have a lost of data that I do not wish to lose.

Many thanks in advance..........

Thursday, March 24, 2011 5:20 PM

Answers

• I suspect you were using the UK version of Money 2005.  That is very relevant to your situation. If my guess is wrong (Australia, Hong Kong, etc), then most of this will apply anyway. There may be a very bad problem for you in either case.

In http://www.microsoft.com/money/sunset.mspx that it says "The Sunset version cannot convert files created by regional (non-US) versions of Money ".

OK, so revert to Money 2005? If you did not uninstall Money 2005, good. But if you did not pay attention during the installation of Sunset, I fear you did uninstall.  If you already created a disk with the method in http://money.mvps.org/faq/article/630.aspx then you can use that. If you still have the "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Money 2005\MNYCoreFiles" folder ( a hidden folder if not already deleted),  you can use that to create your install disk. That is the situation that I hope you are in. You might want to make an extra copy of that folder if it has not been deleted.

If that folder is gone, you might search thru postings that contain UK in the title to see if you can find some inspiration.

• Marked as answer by Boreini Friday, March 25, 2011 8:50 AM
    Thursday, March 24, 2011 8:26 PM

All replies

• I suspect you were using the UK version of Money 2005.  That is very relevant to your situation. If my guess is wrong (Australia, Hong Kong, etc), then most of this will apply anyway. There may be a very bad problem for you in either case.

In http://www.microsoft.com/money/sunset.mspx that it says "The Sunset version cannot convert files created by regional (non-US) versions of Money ".

OK, so revert to Money 2005? If you did not uninstall Money 2005, good. But if you did not pay attention during the installation of Sunset, I fear you did uninstall.  If you already created a disk with the method in http://money.mvps.org/faq/article/630.aspx then you can use that. If you still have the "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Money 2005\MNYCoreFiles" folder ( a hidden folder if not already deleted),  you can use that to create your install disk. That is the situation that I hope you are in. You might want to make an extra copy of that folder if it has not been deleted.

If that folder is gone, you might search thru postings that contain UK in the title to see if you can find some inspiration.

• Marked as answer by Boreini Friday, March 25, 2011 8:50 AM
    Thursday, March 24, 2011 8:26 PM
  • Many thanks CAll,

The process you recommended DID work.  I was able to move Money 2005 to my new laptop and open my original file.

Now; do you recommend I migrate to Quicken?

If yes,  is there a safe procedure to that since I understand that Quicken will only accept Money 2007 or 2008.

How to migrate Money 2005 to 2008?

M. Elboreini
    Friday, March 25, 2011 8:50 AM
  • I would not migrate to Quicken myself. Your UK Money can continue to serve you. You can get stock/fund quotes using PocketSense or sunriise (hleOfxQuotes).

If you did want to convert to Microsoft Money Deluxe Sunset (to use itself or as a step to Quicken conversion), then QIF export from Money 2005, then QIF export and import would be needed. That process brings transactions, but it does not bring everything.

Friday, March 25, 2011 1:18 PM