Trading versions of Office RRS feed

• Question

• I have a valid copy of Office 2007 that I got through the "Ultimate Steal" program from MS a few years ago.  I have a friend who just started college this year and I told them about it.  They found the Office Professional Academic - which seems to be the same program.   The problem is that she is in a nursing program and her classes require that she use Office 2007.  Can she purchase the 2010 product and then give me the activation key and I will uninstall 2007 from my computer so that she can install it on hers with my activation key...ie can we just trade versions since it doesn't matter for me and she needs to have the older version?  If not, does anyone know whether you can get the same deal for the older versions of the product?
    Thursday, February 17, 2011 7:27 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hello CaitlinEB,

Look up the Software Licensing Terms here:  http://www.microsoft.com/About/Legal/EN/US/IntellectualProperty/UseTerms/Default.aspx

See the "Transfer" paragraph later in the license document, usually aroud para 16 +/-.

BTW, Office Ultimate 2007 has a couple more programs (Groove, InfoPath) than does Office Professional Academic 2010, but these programs are groupware-type of programs that are generally only used in a large client-server setting like a big company.

Saturday, February 19, 2011 10:46 PM
  • Thanks, Dan.  I had talked to a couple of local people who were listed as MS partners, but they only gave me "I think" answers.  I feel much more comfortable seeing it in black and white.

Since I haven't ever used Groove or InfoPath, I doubt that I would miss them, but I appreciate the heads up about the differences.

Best regards,

CEB

Monday, February 21, 2011 6:06 PM
  • Monday, July 18, 2011 6:47 PM
  • Hello BillB1234,

Nope, retail licenses for Office 2007 and 2010 do not confer downgrade rights.

For the OP, the best option would have been for her friend to buy Office 2010 and then have the two of them transfer their licenses to each other.

Thursday, September 29, 2011 2:01 PM