How to delete all the backups to make some storage space available? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,
    I have 500 GB WHS harddisk. 70% (329 GB) is occupied with PC backups. I want to make room for some immediate storage requirements and I just want to keep one latest backup everyday.

How can I clear this 329 GB space? I tried the option to delete backups on next backup, but space is not clearing up??
    How can I delete all the backups as of today?? There is no easy option to do this?

Please advise.

Thanks,
     Sanjay Melinamani

Wednesday, November 5, 2008 5:37 AM

Answers

• Sanjay, to delete all backups, you should first install the Windows Home Server Toolkit if you haven't already. Follow the directions in the toolkit User Manual; the installation is a multi-stage process.

Once the toolkit is installed, and the add-in is installed on your server, you can first turn off backups for all your home computers in the Console, then open the Settings dialog, select the toolkit from the list, and the Backup tab. Click the Reset... button. Be aware that this may take a bit of time, and you may see network health warnings. Once it's finished, your backup database will have been deleted. Warning: once you click the button, your backups will be unrecoverable.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, November 5, 2008 5:21 PM

All replies

• Hello Sanjay,
    cleaning backups besides the last one would not gain that much - since backups are incremental and if you don't change that much, the daily backups do not add that much. Also identical clusters, which are found on multiple machines, are only stored once.
    Deleting all backups besides the current would also cause, that you cannot roll back to a date, before a spotted problem arised.
    And if you have no backup running for some days (maybe because the client is down), it may even be happen, that backup cleanup will get rid of all backups and you will have to performe the complete, time consuming initial backup again.

You could configure the cycle how long to keep up with the backups in the WHS console in the Settings area.

But before doing so, please clarify, how many client PCs you have and how much storage space they consume on their disks.

The better way would be to add a second harddisk, since 500 GByte nowadays is not that much storage.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Wednesday, November 5, 2008 7:34 AM
  • Thanks Olaf.. I understand that 500 GB is not enough these days. But for some urgent needs I need to delete all the PC backups and stop taking the backups for a while till I buy additional storage. How can I do this? I understand the risk of not having the backups for some time but I confident that nothing major is going to happen.

Sanjay

Wednesday, November 5, 2008 5:08 PM
  • Sanjay, to delete all backups, you should first install the Windows Home Server Toolkit if you haven't already. Follow the directions in the toolkit User Manual; the installation is a multi-stage process.

Once the toolkit is installed, and the add-in is installed on your server, you can first turn off backups for all your home computers in the Console, then open the Settings dialog, select the toolkit from the list, and the Backup tab. Click the Reset... button. Be aware that this may take a bit of time, and you may see network health warnings. Once it's finished, your backup database will have been deleted. Warning: once you click the button, your backups will be unrecoverable.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, November 5, 2008 5:21 PM