Which SATA drive to remove? RRS feed

• Question

• I originally built my WHS with 4 identical 250GB SATA internal drives.

Later I added a 1TB external USB 2.0 drive.

Now I want to remove one of the 250GB internal drives and replace it with a 1TB SATA drive.

I have successfully removed one of the 250GB drives from the storage pool, but when I physically disconnected what I thought was the correct drive, WHS would not boot. When I reconnected that drive, WHS would still not boot, and I had to reboot with the install disk in the DVD drive, to get it up again.

My internal SATA drives are connected to SATA sockets 1-4 on the main board, and I assumed that the disk that I removed was on SATA 1.

How do I determine which SATA drive I have disconnected from the storage pool, so I can physically remove the correct drive?
    • Edited by Denis78163 Wednesday, November 12, 2008 4:40 AM
    Wednesday, November 12, 2008 4:39 AM

Answers

• Hello,
    speculation:
    Maybe your Bios changed the boot sequence, as you disconnected the primary disk - so you may have to readjust this in the Bios of your WHS.
    Other than that, if you disconnect one of the data disks and boot your WHS, it still should come up, but report a drive as missing in the console, if you disconnected the wrong one.
    If there is no missing drive, you have disconnected the proper disk.
    It may be interesting for you to install the WHS Disk Management add-in, which you can download at http://www.tentaclesoftware.com/whsdiskmanagement/. This gives you some more details about each disk, so that you potentially may determine the correct drive from serial number or similar information.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Wednesday, November 12, 2008 8:09 AM
  • I did a similar thing, and had a similar problem.

What Olaf said is what happened to me, but I had to connect a monitor, keyboard and mouse to the WHS to discover the fix.

In my case the POST would halt and ask for user input when any drive was changed. Even if I accidentally reboot the machine with a thumb drive in it. My fix was to just hit the F1 key on the keyboard for my system boot to continue after accepting the change, or hit Delete to enter the BIOS set up...

Mine is built on a Albatron K8NF4U Motherboard.

• Marked as answer by Denis78163 Thursday, November 13, 2008 2:10 PM
    Thursday, November 13, 2008 12:18 AM

All replies

• Hello,
    speculation:
    Maybe your Bios changed the boot sequence, as you disconnected the primary disk - so you may have to readjust this in the Bios of your WHS.
    Other than that, if you disconnect one of the data disks and boot your WHS, it still should come up, but report a drive as missing in the console, if you disconnected the wrong one.
    If there is no missing drive, you have disconnected the proper disk.
    It may be interesting for you to install the WHS Disk Management add-in, which you can download at http://www.tentaclesoftware.com/whsdiskmanagement/. This gives you some more details about each disk, so that you potentially may determine the correct drive from serial number or similar information.
    Olaf
    Wednesday, November 12, 2008 8:09 AM
  • I did a similar thing, and had a similar problem.

What Olaf said is what happened to me, but I had to connect a monitor, keyboard and mouse to the WHS to discover the fix.

In my case the POST would halt and ask for user input when any drive was changed. Even if I accidentally reboot the machine with a thumb drive in it. My fix was to just hit the F1 key on the keyboard for my system boot to continue after accepting the change, or hit Delete to enter the BIOS set up...

Mine is built on a Albatron K8NF4U Motherboard.

• Marked as answer by Denis78163 Thursday, November 13, 2008 2:10 PM
    Thursday, November 13, 2008 12:18 AM
  • Thanks for your help. I did already have WHS Disk Management add-in installed, but it did not show the serial numbers for my drives. I did however have success using your process of elimination approach. Many thanks.
    Thursday, November 13, 2008 2:09 PM
  • Thanks for your help.
    Thursday, November 13, 2008 2:11 PM
  • Denis78163 said:

Thanks for your help. I did already have WHS Disk Management add-in installed, but it did not show the serial numbers for my drives. I did however have success using your process of elimination approach. Many thanks.

Hi,
    did you double click the disks in WHS Disk Management to get the Details view? Here you should see a serial number.
    Olaf
    Thursday, November 13, 2008 2:34 PM