Live Search still showing incorrect region code RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all.

We're a UK based hosted CRM company, www.reallysimplesystems.com.

Last week I noticed that our site, www.reallysimplesystems.com, was not being picked up in search.live.com if users ticked the "Only from United Kingdom" box. Although we have a .com TLD as opposed to .co.uk, we're a UK company hosted on our own boxes in the UK, IP address 91.203.57.59. Google picks us up as being in the UK, as does Netcraft. MS Webmaster Tools shows our site as having region code "us".

Last week I added a <meta name="geo.region" content="GB"> to the home page, but MS Webmaster Tools is still showing the site as being in the UK. There's no topic on this in the Webmaster Tools Help section, I can see others on this forum have had similar issues but their sites were in fact hosted in the US, with GoDaddy et al.

Google Webmaster Tools has a facility whereby a webmaster can tell their crawler what region they are in - how do I tell Live Search?

Thanks! John Paterson

Sunday, September 7, 2008 9:00 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi John,

We plan to offer that functionality in the future; however, as of now, you will need to request the change through our Live Search Site Owner support form.

Wednesday, September 10, 2008 5:21 PM
  • Hi Brett

I tried filling in the form as I have a similar problem, but was told the only solution was to move my server to our region (New Zealand) or get a .co.nz address.  Is this correct, or do I need to ask for help again?

Thanks

Paul

Thursday, September 11, 2008 2:41 AM
  • I'm having a dialog with MS tech support, will let you know what the results are. Right now it looks like the crawler assumes not only that all .com sites that are hosted in the US are actually US sites, but also that .com sites with an IP address in the UK are also US sites!

Regards,
    John Paterson
    www.reallysimplesystems.com

Thursday, September 11, 2008 9:12 AM
  • Thanks John - I would be really interested to hear how you go.

Hoping MS will be adding a location option to webmaster tools soon...

All the best

Paul

Thursday, September 11, 2008 8:40 PM
  • I've had a reply from "Microsoft Global Escalations" saying:

"We are aware of this issue and are working on a resolution. At this time there is no estimated time of resolution.

I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you and would like to thank you for your patience and understanding in working with us."

So there you go!

John Paterson
    www.reallysimplesystems.com

Tuesday, September 16, 2008 8:49 AM
  • I've added the domain www.reallysimplesystems.co.uk to the Webmaster Central list of sites, it is pointing to the same site as www.reallysimplesystems.com, let's see if that works!

John Paterson
    www.reallysimplesystems.co.uk
    Tuesday, September 16, 2008 8:58 AM
  • I have 3 .co.uk domains all listed as US sites www.vanlocator.co.uk www.trucklocator.co.uk and www.plantlocator.co.uk They all appear nicely in the live search systems until you check the UK only box whereupon they disappear.  Below is the response I got back in June 2008.  I'm afraid the .co.uk TLD doesn't always mean Live thinks you are british!

My name is James and I am with the Microsoft Global Escalations team. I have been assigned to help you with your issue, and my records indicate that the issue you are experiencing is with Live Search.    

I understand that your site not showing in the proper market.  Unfortunately, we are unable to provide a solution or a workaround at this time. The issue has been documented and the product team is aware that this is affecting some of our customers.  The product team will research the issue and determine if a fix can be implemented.
     In the meantime, I would like to thank you for your patience and understanding in working with us. I apologize that we were unable to provide a resolution at this time and I would encourage you to continue to check the Webmaster Site(http://webmaster.live.com/)  periodically to see if a resolution is available.

At this time, we will be closing your ticket as not resolved since we were unable to provide a solution or workaround.

Thank you for your understanding and please let me know if you have any further questions.

Thursday, December 11, 2008 4:32 PM