none
Using Outlook Problem RRS feed

• Question

• Whenver I attempt to sync Outlook.pst 2003 file, it deletes information from the source computer to the target computer.  I am attempting to sync information from the source computer to the target computer.  I created the left folder which is located on Computer Office.  And I created the right folder which is located on Computer Kitchen.  I do a preview prior to running and when I attempt to sync from the Office computer (source) to Kitchen computer (target), in the preview it shows it in reverse.  It shows the Kitchen as being the source and the Office as being the target.  So when I sync, it wipes out the newest information I have entered in the Office computer and does not sync it at all.  I went into the recycle bin and had to recover the Outlook.pst that was moved into the recycle bin.

Hope this is not confusing but I sure do need assistance to make Outlook work properly when I sync between the two computers.
    Tuesday, June 9, 2009 7:56 PM

Answers

• Hi -

Synchronize is an option that sync's changes both ways. In your case - you have to be doing an Echo sync if you only want changes from the left to be synchronized to the right. From your description - it looks like SyncToy can see that the changes on the right are more recent than the changes on the left. That is why it does not move these changes on an Echo but on a Synchronize tries to move changes from the right to the left.

Try setting it up like this - Start with a brand new folder on the right hand side ( Computer Kitchen) and with Computer Office on the left side with Echo as the sync option. SyncToy should sync changes from the left to the right. But please also be careful about the fact that when Outlook is running - the size of the file is 0 and it a 0 size file could be sync'ed from the left to the right. We have fixed this in the next version where if we find the file locked ( and of size 0 bytes) we will skip the file. For now just be sure to close Outlook before running the sync.

Thanks
    Deepa 
    Deepa ( Microsoft Sync Framework)
    Wednesday, June 10, 2009 9:12 PM

All replies

• Hi -

What sync option are you using with this folder pair? Can you confirm that you are using Echo and not Synchronize.

Thanks
    Deepa
    Tuesday, June 9, 2009 10:20 PM
  • Thanks for your reponse

Yes, I am using Synchronize not Echo.

I checked out Echo in Preview and it did not show any changes in either computer.  Yet, when I used Synchronize it did show as I described in my very first post.

Thank you for your response.

HankL
    Wednesday, June 10, 2009 6:55 PM
  • Hi -

Synchronize is an option that sync's changes both ways. In your case - you have to be doing an Echo sync if you only want changes from the left to be synchronized to the right. From your description - it looks like SyncToy can see that the changes on the right are more recent than the changes on the left. That is why it does not move these changes on an Echo but on a Synchronize tries to move changes from the right to the left.

Try setting it up like this - Start with a brand new folder on the right hand side ( Computer Kitchen) and with Computer Office on the left side with Echo as the sync option. SyncToy should sync changes from the left to the right. But please also be careful about the fact that when Outlook is running - the size of the file is 0 and it a 0 size file could be sync'ed from the left to the right. We have fixed this in the next version where if we find the file locked ( and of size 0 bytes) we will skip the file. For now just be sure to close Outlook before running the sync.

Thanks
    Deepa 
    Wednesday, June 10, 2009 9:12 PM
  • Deepa,

Many thanks for your replies.  I have done as you instructed and hope that it will resolve the issue.

Do you know when the next version will be available?

Thanks HankL

Thursday, June 11, 2009 6:57 PM
  • Hi -

The short answer is that No we have no official date for release yet. The long answer as to why is below -

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en/synctoy/thread/71f6f17a-0416-4120-85a0-1b6a1f105920 

I pasted the respose here as well.

I wanted to jump in here and also add some clarification on top of what Deepa has stated.  Our next release of SyncToy will be based on Sync Framework v2.  Based on the EULA (End User Licesnse Agreement) of Sync Framework, we are not able to release an official public technology based on the existing CTP's (Community Technology Previews) that are currently available for Sync Framework v2.  As such, you will not see the next version of SyncToy released until after Sync Framework v2 has been released (which is not scheduled until later in this calendar year) and as Deepa mentioned above we have not yet announced an official release date for the next version of SyncToy.

I would like to appologize for any confusion on any of this.

Liam

Thanks
    Deepa

Thursday, June 11, 2009 9:03 PM