Enterprise Custom Fields derived from formulas - use in a Project Server view RRS feed

• Question

• If I build an enterprise custom field that is populated via a formula, and I use that field in a view, when would I see that field refresh in the view? 

For example, if a I create an ECF called "TestToday" and set it to the formula Now(), then put the TestToday custom field into the Summary view, it doesn't show up.  
    Wednesday, February 24, 2010 12:16 AM

Answers

• Glenn:

For formulas, just like 2007, you need to open the project, recalculate using the F9 key, unless you have auto calc on, and then republish. If you don't see the correct results in the project, you won't see it in PWA. The recalc is key as is the publish. I'm going to mark your question as answered. Please reopen the thread if you have more follow-up on this issue.
    Gary Chefetz, MCITP, MCP, MVP msProjectExperts
    Project and Project ServerFAQs
    Project Server Help BLOG
    Thursday, February 25, 2010 4:48 PM

All replies

• Hi Glenn,

I am pretty sure the formula will only evaluate when you republish the project schedule via Project Server. Have you tried republishing? 

alex.

Alex Burton www.epmsource.com
    Wednesday, February 24, 2010 3:04 AM
  • Yes, several republishes.  And everything is checked in.  

I notice the field seemed to evaluate when I opened one of project up in the Project Professional client, then saved it back. 
    Wednesday, February 24, 2010 5:44 PM
  • Glenn:

For formulas, just like 2007, you need to open the project, recalculate using the F9 key, unless you have auto calc on, and then republish. If you don't see the correct results in the project, you won't see it in PWA. The recalc is key as is the publish. I'm going to mark your question as answered. Please reopen the thread if you have more follow-up on this issue.
    Gary Chefetz, MCITP, MCP, MVP msProjectExperts
    Project and Project ServerFAQs
    Project Server Help BLOG
    Thursday, February 25, 2010 4:48 PM
  • Hi Gary

I realise that this thread is old but I am experiencing problems with custom fields that contain formulas (the classic RAG).  I have pressed F9, republished and the RAG shows in the Project Center view.  Several days later the RAG is no longer visible.  The correct value is display in Project Information and the RAG displays correctly on the project summary task but not in the Project Center. I'm currently trying to track down the exact chain of events and replicate.  Have you heard of this?

BTW, I've tried editing through PWA to see if that undoes the recalculation.

Andy

Thursday, March 10, 2011 3:32 PM
  • AndyZak --

I am hearing reports from users than publishing their projects from the PWA interface can disrupt the calculation of custom fields with graphical indicators.  Would that explain your situation?  Because of these reports, we continue to recommend as a best practice that all publishing should be done from the Microsoft Project application instead of from PWA.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]
    VP of Educational Services
    msProjectExperts
    http://www.msprojectexperts.com
    http://www.projectserverexperts.com
    "We write the books on Project Server"

Thursday, March 10, 2011 4:07 PM
  • Hi Dale

thanks for the response.  I have polled our users and it appears that they are using the client to publish.  However, I have just relicated the problem by updating and publishing through PWA. I'll run some more tests but it does appear to be as you say; publishing through PWA does affect the content of calculated fields.

Andy

Thursday, March 10, 2011 4:55 PM