none
How can I enable audio on WHS? RRS feed

• Question

• I have been trying to enable audio on my WHS, but so far I have had no luck. I have read that it is not possible to do this, but I have read contradictory statements elsewhere.

Basically, I want to have my WHS connected to my stereo so I can play my entire audio library through it, but no audio will play.

Any help would be massively appreciated, thanks.

Also, I've installed audio drivers and they installed correctly, but obviously I have no way of checking if they work.
    Saturday, May 16, 2009 5:01 PM

Answers

• After installing the drivers you will need to select the correct (default) output device for audio, or set the correct output device in the application you are using to play the music. Obviously this will only work if your hardware is capable of doing this, you need line out or some other audio out on your WHS.
    Saturday, May 16, 2009 6:30 PM
  • Be aware, that WHS is not a replacement for Windows Media Center and the usage of desktop applications for playback of music is not supported.
    (Also Windows Server 2003 was not designed around media playback at all - in the original version you will have to enable the Windows Audio service in Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Services first, which I believe is often already done on WHS.)
    You should also run dxdiag on the server and check on the Sound tab the settings for the sound hardware acceleration - pull it to maximum, otherwise some soundcard drivers will not work.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Saturday, May 16, 2009 7:58 PM

All replies

• After installing the drivers you will need to select the correct (default) output device for audio, or set the correct output device in the application you are using to play the music. Obviously this will only work if your hardware is capable of doing this, you need line out or some other audio out on your WHS.
    Saturday, May 16, 2009 6:30 PM
  • Be aware, that WHS is not a replacement for Windows Media Center and the usage of desktop applications for playback of music is not supported.
    (Also Windows Server 2003 was not designed around media playback at all - in the original version you will have to enable the Windows Audio service in Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Services first, which I believe is often already done on WHS.)
    You should also run dxdiag on the server and check on the Sound tab the settings for the sound hardware acceleration - pull it to maximum, otherwise some soundcard drivers will not work.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Saturday, May 16, 2009 7:58 PM
  • In general, the line out on your home server (assuming it has one) will only work in the console session. This is the session you're connected to if you log in using a keyboard, mouse, and monitor. It's possible, but not recommended or supported, to connect to the console session using Remote Desktop. In addition, as others have pointed out, the use of desktop applicaitons on your server is also unsupported and not recommended.

Have you considered using a digital media receiver of some sort instead, and streaming the audio off your server?

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, May 18, 2009 3:43 PM
  • Mine works fine using VLC installed on the WHS along with the mobo on board sound at 2.1, although it can do 7.1, but left over speakers put to a good use. Better to play to my 5.1 system on the workhorse PC and get the 140 watts pulling the files from the server. VLC seems to have no limits, even works great on Windows 7.

WHS is slim on providing drivers for everything, which is OK. Had to install both sound and ethernet from the MOBO disk, but worked just fine!
    Wednesday, May 20, 2009 2:24 AM