How to avoid infinite loops when syncing data in peer to peer node? RRS feed

• Question

• suppose I have 3 nodes. each has a windows service which is written with sync framework. the windows service syncs with the other two nodes by uploading its changes.

I am still not clear on how can I prevent a row going infinitely in circles between these 3 nodes.

the fear is that  node A gives a row to Node B which gives it to Node C, which then passes is back to NodeA...

Friday, March 4, 2011 9:08 PM

Answers

• It should not go in circles. as June T pointed out - " Sync Fx checks if a row is in a peer's sync knowledge before sending it over " . In simple terms, you might have noticed when you run sync fx. tables like _tracking are created and scope_info are created. This tables store metadata for sync fx and this ensures that the peer's know about what's goin on.

It's interesting to see, things happening in _tracking tables. try it. insert couple of rows and observer the changes that happen in _tracking tables.

Also observe the data in _tracking of peer's before and after synchronization happens.

- Paras Doshi, Microsoft student Partner, India. Azure enthusiast. http://www.parasdoshi.com
    • Marked as answer by MSDN Student Monday, March 14, 2011 6:40 AM
    Sunday, March 13, 2011 1:39 PM
  • just lookup Understanding Synchronization Knowledge in the documentation.
    • Marked as answer by MSDN Student Tuesday, March 8, 2011 11:23 AM
    Monday, March 7, 2011 3:38 PM

All replies

• Sync Fx checks if a row is in a peer's sync knowledge before sending it over.
    Saturday, March 5, 2011 12:57 AM
  • What is peer sync knowledge? please give me a URL which talks about this topic.
    Saturday, March 5, 2011 6:05 PM
  • just lookup Understanding Synchronization Knowledge in the documentation.
    • Marked as answer by MSDN Student Tuesday, March 8, 2011 11:23 AM
    Monday, March 7, 2011 3:38 PM
  • It should not go in circles. as June T pointed out - " Sync Fx checks if a row is in a peer's sync knowledge before sending it over " . In simple terms, you might have noticed when you run sync fx. tables like _tracking are created and scope_info are created. This tables store metadata for sync fx and this ensures that the peer's know about what's goin on.

It's interesting to see, things happening in _tracking tables. try it. insert couple of rows and observer the changes that happen in _tracking tables.

Also observe the data in _tracking of peer's before and after synchronization happens.

- Paras Doshi, Microsoft student Partner, India. Azure enthusiast. http://www.parasdoshi.com
    • Marked as answer by MSDN Student Monday, March 14, 2011 6:40 AM
    Sunday, March 13, 2011 1:39 PM