Looking for a specific word // Sorry, did not find a better place to ask RRS feed

• Question

• Hello fellow coders.

First of all, I hope all of you and your beloved ones are alive, healthy, and kicking! And may the powers above send some wisdom to people that seem to need it very quickly. What in turn brings me to my question.

It is in fact nothing about .NET, well almost not. Namespaces should be named as precisely as possible. At least it is my humble opinion. Aaaand as as the usual PONS and Oxford Dict reader, and being a German, I am missing a certain word that describes the... surrounding of a liveform. It is not Environment, it is not Habitat. Something inbetween. Like ''this Orchid will  grow best when it's provided with everything it's acquianted with from its own..., well... ?'' How do biologists say that? I know that there is this certain word in English because there is a similar word in German, but I simply cannot remember.

Appreciating and thankfully nodding to any advices.

Happy Easter everyone!

Saturday, April 11, 2020 10:38 AM

All replies

• Good question, Mr. Scoville! I like how you tied that into Namespaces!!  ;0)

I can think of a few off the top of my head --- pick what you like from these: ecosystem, terrain, territory, surroundings.

I like ecosystem, but maybe that's just me.  =0)

~~Bonnie DeWitt [C# MVP]

http://geek-goddess-bonnie.blogspot.com

• Proposed as answer by Naomi N Sunday, April 12, 2020 11:12 PM
    Saturday, April 11, 2020 10:48 PM
  • What is the German word you were thinking of?

Since English is not my mother's tongue, the only word that came to my mind was "pasture", but I don't think it suits.

See also

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/us/dictionary/english/habitat (you can chose what you'd like from the list)

For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert. - Becker's Law

My blog

My TechNet articles

• Edited by Naomi N Sunday, April 12, 2020 11:19 PM
    Sunday, April 12, 2020 11:15 PM
  • Hi Mr Scoville,

Thank you for posting here.

I like the word Naomi mentioned: habitat, in German it might be: Lebensraum.

But we don't know if this word is for you.

Although we really want to help you, the fact is that this is an English forum, few people understand German, maybe you can ask this question in the German forum.

Best Regards,

Timon

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, April 13, 2020 6:07 AM