Restoring pics from online back up? RRS feed

• Question

•  

I hope someone can help,

I had all my pics set to online back up. And my comp crashed out, had to do complete system restore.

Is there ANY way I can get my pics back? Or have I been wasting my money?

When I try to use restore it tells me that there is no restore piont set (there wouldn't be I had to wipe comp clean)

Have I been misguided in thinking that my pics were being stored online somewhere?

I hope someone can help as they mean a great deal to me.

Thanks. Dawn

Friday, October 10, 2008 3:13 PM

Answers

• If you subscribed to the online photo backup service and that was working before the PC crashed, you should be able t restore as long as your reinstalled OneCare was activated with the same LiveID as your subscription.

From OneCare online Help:

Restore photos from an online photo backup

If some of your photos are accidentally deleted from your computer, you can restore the photos to your computer if you've backed them up online.

To restore photos to your computer from your online photo backup:
    1. Open Windows Live OneCare.
    2. In the main OneCare window, in the Backup and Restore area, click Restore files.
    3. Click Restore photos from online backup.
    4. Enter the password for your Windows Live ID, and then click Sign In.
    5. Click the online photo backup that you want to restore photos from, and then click Next.
    6. To restore all photos from the online photo backup, click Restore all missing photos

If this is not working for you, please contact support:

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Friday, October 10, 2008 4:48 PM

All replies

• If you subscribed to the online photo backup service and that was working before the PC crashed, you should be able t restore as long as your reinstalled OneCare was activated with the same LiveID as your subscription.

From OneCare online Help:

Restore photos from an online photo backup

If some of your photos are accidentally deleted from your computer, you can restore the photos to your computer if you've backed them up online.

To restore photos to your computer from your online photo backup:
    1. Open Windows Live OneCare.
    2. In the main OneCare window, in the Backup and Restore area, click Restore files.
    3. Click Restore photos from online backup.
    4. Enter the password for your Windows Live ID, and then click Sign In.
    5. Click the online photo backup that you want to restore photos from, and then click Next.
    6. To restore all photos from the online photo backup, click Restore all missing photos

If this is not working for you, please contact support:

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Friday, October 10, 2008 4:48 PM
  • Thank you so much for you help,

One care hadn't correctly installed.

I still need help though if possible.

When it restored my pics it claimed to heve restored 800 + of which I can only find 300 + and all of these are from my lap top, not pc.

When I reset my comp I changed the user name, could this have any bearing?

I've double checked against the back up and it's telling me they have all been restored to the pc.

It's driving me insane looking for them.

Any help gratefully recived.

Thanks, Dawn

Saturday, October 11, 2008 12:37 AM
  • I guess the first question that comes to mind is do you know where the 800 pictures were located before? If OneCare says it restored 800 pictures, it will have placed them in the original folders assuming these folders existed before the restore. And, as the regular restore process will do, if the files already exist on the destination PC, they will be written to a folder with a generic name such as OneCare Restore either off the top level of the drive or within your user folder structure.

If you go to c:\ in Windows Explorer and search for the file extensions of *.jpg the resulting list will show you where these files are located.

-steve

Monday, October 13, 2008 5:48 PM